Is this country ever going to contribute significantly to literature?

Is this country ever going to contribute significantly to literature?
The best books from Canadians have been okay at best.

Other urls found in this thread:

bpnichol.ca/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They have given enough

Anne Carson
Marshall McLuhan
Northrop Frye
William Gibson

the list goes on

French Canadian literature is just as meh as the Anglo Canadian one, mind you.

Still better than Australia.

B-b-b-but we won the Nobel Prize!

When my novel gets published lad

can anyone recommend where to start with alice munro? I don't want to get a "selected stories"

bpnichol.ca/

>i don't want to get a "selected stories"
>asks for selected stories

how far can the leaf go

a little alleyway by my uni has a poem of his carved into the concrete. its nice.

Steven Leacock was good

I'm obviously asking for book recs, senpai

t. burger

who?
who?
who?
shit sux

What about Stefan Molyneux, Jordan Peterson and Lauren Southern? These genius redpillers deserve a mention. And sure, they haven't written any fiction yet, but pretty soon they might. I like to think they will.

Our guy BolaƱo is the pinnacle of spic lit

If you're going to dip into the Canadian alt-cuck meme "intellectual" arsenal at least go with Ricardo Duchesne

We were too busy drawing water and hewing wood.

Let's be honest, Canada was a provincial backwater for 99% of its history.

Including now.

I remember Fifth Business being okay, but don't remember anything about it.
Also, why was I thinking this was a quadrilogy?

Had to look up Gibson, seems cool.

Yea, I like McLuhan. Need to read Frye.

Mordecai Richler
Rohintron Mistry
Michael Ontaanje

Mordecai Richler is pretty good desu

Mordecai Richler is pretty good desu

Other than that we haven't contributed much to global English literature.

I saw a post a few years ago that neatly summarized Canadian Veeky Forums:
Praries: The praries are cold and empty, just like my relationship with my father
East coast: The Enclave is cold and empty, just like my marriage
West coast: ???

Most Canadian Veeky Forums is either second rate British literature, rehashings of of Native myth / history, or poems about immigrants who can't reconnect to their parent's culture IMO. We're a pretty boring country. Even John Green the PC meme machine said so.

There are times even now, when I awake at four o'clock in the morning with the terrible fear that I have overslept; when I imagine that my father is waiting for me in the room below the darkened stairs or that the shorebound men are tossing pebbles against my window while blowing their hands and stomping their feet impatiently on the frozen steadfast earth. There are times when I am half out of bed and fumbling for socks and mumbling for words before I realize that I am foolishly alone, that no one waits at the base of the stairs and no boat rides restlessly in the waters by the pier.
At such times only the grey corpses on the overflowing ashtray beside my bed bear witness to the extinction of the latest spark and silently await the crushing out of the most recent of their fellows. And then because I am afraid to be alone with death, I dress rapidly, make a great to-do about clearing my throat, turn on both faucets in the sink and proceed to make loud splashing ineffectual noises. Later I go out and walk the mile to the all-night restaurant.

In the winter it is a very cold walk, and there are often tears in my eyes when I arrive. The waitress usually gives a sympathetic little shiver and says, "Boy, it must be really cold out there; you got tears in your eyes." "Yes," I say, "it sure is; it really is."

Currently working on it guys. Better start learning french right now, it's gonna be worth it.

no one has exceeded past the suffocating middle class culture of canada yet

We die containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into and swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves.

I wish for all this to be marked on by body when I am dead. I believe in such cartography - to be marked by nature, not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings. We are communal histories, communal books. We are not owned or monogamous in our taste or experience.

corny

Jack Hodgins

One of the most important things Canda has to offer in terms of literature is Quebec. Sadly, Quebec iteslf doesn't even know what to do with it.

Canada has never experienced any meaningful hardship to create the inspiration in large part necessary to produce such authors. This country is fucking dull, and being taken over by shitskins.

It's more that Canada started to exist and thrive just when literature stopped being relevant.

Its not the fact that Canada is a boring country its the more the fact that people didnt have the time to write. The french in the east and the anglo in the west build the country up. They didnt have time to write little poems and philosophy. Its the aristocraty and the Bourgeoisie to do that. They were none for a long time.
Plus the style of people that moved to Canada are not the type to write and be boheme they had to survive or die. Plus our population is quiet small.

>Winner of the Governor General's Award
what the fuck, that's our top boss

pic related is one of the best writers alive

I'm a Canadian poet who fucking sucks at advertising but I'm a really good poet. Tell me if u want an example.

Leonard Cohen contributed to music and literature like no other modern artist.

To paraphrase Orsen Welles, Switzerland has been a utopian paradise for hundreds of years and have only produced the cuckoo clock.

>Canada is Switzerland

Wut

I drink to think,
I think to drink,
I get more liquer from the sink,
Then hold my glass unto the brink,
And chug it down 'til morning.
My drinking ballad (p.s. I'm Canadian)

>I'm a really good poet

Hands give, Hands break, Hands take away.
Hands build, Hands mould, Hands can decay.
Hands hurt, Hands heal, hands grasp there prey.
Hands mend, Hands sew, Hands fold and pray.
Hands help, Hands rip, Hands caress with grace.
Hands rip, Hands reap, Hands cast emotions to the grey.
Hands are tho tools to mould our fate.
Hands are the keys to heaven's gate.
Hands tare the sorrows from this tainted slate.
Hands feed our soul with an empty plate.
Hands can caress the sorrowed face.
Hands are our glory, Hands are our grace.

somehow worse even than I expected

>Greatest Canadian Poet
>Can't even spellcheck

A critique? Please continue.

I never said I was the greatest and I wrote that "pasteable virsion" on a notepad at 4:00 am.

Atwood sums it up as "survival"

It's a pretty board theme but basically, as you say, revolves around surviving the elements or trying to retain your immigrant culture.

Basically Canadian literature is cucked to shit and we probably have decent authors that kill themselves every year because they'll never get published.

this is probably more accurate than though both are probably true.

>hands grasp there pray

kek

Bliss Carman
Al Purdy
George Bowering
Mavis Gallant
Graeme Gibson
Hugh MacLennan

LMAO J PEETS FATHER FIGURE FILL IN AND AIRHEAD MEME THOTTIE OH WOW

It's totally cliche, in structure and content and at the level of every individual image. I could have written this when I was 12 years old and maybe did, the conceit is so obvious. It reads like a dated children's poem or the lyrics to a christian rock song. If I ignored the fact that the poem is so poorly written, which is its primary attribute, I might say that it's naive and simplistic. For you own sake I really hope that you are currently a child.

Does this poem work better?
A diamond to ones eye,
May be, to others, but a lie,
For the only ones with diamond eyes are snakes.

With no transparency,
They say your as transparent as the sea,
But how deep could they see under the waves.

They call them strong, They call them clear,
They say from there grasp you disappear,
Yet they don't know that you do look for your prey.

Amongst these blades of grass,
One hides and watches you move past,
Only to track you down to see you with great delay.

A diamond in the eye,
Is no diamond to let die,
Even if you think you'll learn from your mistake.

And with the diamond eye,
I hope that you find prey that is blind,
Because all the fools on this road think you are a snake.

O and the whole hands thing, it was after hearing so many terrible TERRABLE attempts at using hands as imagery and having to wright something at school about how great the shitty fucking hands imagery was. I am not one to suck the undeserving cock of horrid imagery, so I wrote the hands poem in half an hour.

Poor quality bait or genuinely retarded?

Definitely poor quality bait

No m8, just a rambling aspie rambling

In that case what do you think of the state of Canadian literature? Writing critique has it's own thread

Veries from person to person.

>no m.g. vassangi.

also:
mordecai richler

maybe (depending...):
joseph boyden (orenda was interesting, despite being a bit of a rip off of black robe; three day road was really good)

He's gotten himself into some hot water recently eh?