Is there any legitimate taste based reason to want to eat fugu or is the entirety of its appeal that it can kill you?

Is there any legitimate taste based reason to want to eat fugu or is the entirety of its appeal that it can kill you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hBxdsv9THH8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Even at a non-lethal level the toxins still have an effect. I would guess that is like a drug to some people. I'd probably try it once, but I don't think it's something I could eat every day. You're trusting someone you don't know not to kill you by accidentally serving you the wrong cut of a highly toxic fish.

How'd they even figure out how to eat this thing?

The worst kind of trial and error.

By failing at first. Same way we figure out everything.

Now that I think about... what the hell?

youtube.com/watch?v=hBxdsv9THH8
>Incredibly, the fish is still alive
What the fuck?

I had it once. I would not get it again even if it was super cheap or someone else bought it. There was a mild sensation caused by the toxin but nothing crazy and the flavor was nothing to write home about. Overall I guess its a cool thing to say you did but its not crazy good or anything

Browth

If a little toxin is left it can numb your tongue and give you a good sensation. Most licensed restaurants don't do this though and remove it all.

The restaurants that serve it are usually very high end and are licensed. The only times people get in trouble eating fugu now is through butchering it and preparing it amateurishly, which is illegal anyway.

OP there is a belief that fugu is an aphrodisiac, so some people probably eat it for that reason. wouldn't recommend it though.

I don't think it's possible to "remove it all."
The poison gets spread throughout the blowfish's body as you start cutting it up.
They cut it up while it's still alive to try to mitigate the amount of poison it spreads throughout its body, but you can never 100% eliminate all of it. You can only take out the poison's source and then do your best to wash the remaining meat for a really long time.
It's probably realistic to expect you can eliminate enough of the poison to have a long career as a fugu chef without killing any of your patrons, but that's not the same thing as being able to say what you're serving is as poison free as a tin of sardines or something.

The good news is that pufferfish can be bred to be toxin-free by rearing them on a controlled diet; this would make any part of their body safe to consume in theory, though cost and stigma are obvious concerns.

>just smacks it at the beginning

Same way people found out which mushrooms and berries are toxic

I understand why they do it but it still makes me feel a little sad that this fish has to suffer through that

What if you're depuffed so you depuff the puffer fish for it's puff restoring properties.

That sounds like a waste since without the poison it's just bland fish meat.

Even some wild puffers (v farmed/bred ones) aren't poisonous. In Japan, there are around thirty species that are served as fugu. Where I live, puffers are also consumed, generally whole, sauteed in butter.
Pic related: a pic I took several years ago that was still up on warosu.

I think anyone in the US could technically get fugu / blowfish meat delivered from a frozen fish supplier since the license is only for serving, not for personal use, but the death rate is crazy high for amateurs who try to prepare it themselves, like 1/3.

His evolution was so thrived on survival it grew fucking spikes out of it's body and is poisonous. And still... we manage to find, kill and eat it. We truly are the scum of the earth.

what the fug

Yeah, but the one sold in the supermarket here is a different, local species altogether, the northern puffer.
The fish are gutted when you buy them (not sure by whom, the store employees or the fishermen) and are perfectly safe to eat. I mentioned sauteeing it, but deepfried puffer is also delicious. As is chicken-fried.
Never had Nip fugu, but northern puffer tastes a lot like flounder or sole.

Lack of breath within seconds?? Wtf. How can a poison work so fast.

It's a neurotoxin. They tend to hit fast and hard.

More like the most hardcore motherfuckers on Earth. If it can be consumed, we will find a way!

lack of breath, not that you stop breathing

>most hardcore motherfuckers on Earth. If it can be consumed, we will find a way!
Ok there is some truth to that as well haha

Is it the most poisonous animal on the planet? My mind lets me down a numurous amount of times but if i recall a snake ussually takes up to 30 seconds to notice the effects, right? Like they make your blood solidify?

Or fuck it, i don't know the number, but i thought it used to take longer with snakes.

It's kind of crazy how because you were born a certain species, your death by predators could be way more painful and drawn out than usual.
Glad I'm not a fugu.

Try getting bit by a mamba sometime, retard. If you don't immediately sever the appendage you'll be dead within a few minutes. That's the power of neurotoxins.

I live in the netherlands so as far as i know there arenĀ“t any poisonous animals out here. At least not that poisonous.

that not a fugu it tastes amazing also it's their diet that makes them toxic you can raise them in different conditions or catch them elsewhere and they're fine.

There was a simpsons episode about it.

>not knowing useless facts about toxins makes him a retard

depends on the nature of the venom/ rattlesnakes, spiders and a few lizard have cytotoxic venom basically causes cell death like injecting acid. Get that into a vein that carries a high concentration of that to the heart it's game over. Neurotoxins are bit more diverse in their modality but they generally work by mimicking or binding to neurotransmitter receptor sites. Some kill by inhibiting certain vital chemical processes and make you asphyxiate. Some make heart rate skyrocket and fuck with your vascular system. So it's hard to be like this one is the most poisonous since they act by different methods if you're talking about purely time it takes to kill virtually nothing takes less than 5-7 minutes other than maybe the box jellyfish because you're going to inhale water screaming your lungs out.

Gotta admit i had to google a pair of words, but thanks for the information :)

>Is it the most poisonous animal on the planet?
This is