Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
Rate my bookshelf
Currently 20 y/o male majoring in history, not that many years of reading under my belt
Any recommendations are welcome as I'd consider myself pretty entry level in literature and classics

>male

are you an animal?

have you read everything there? if so you're already more well read than most of Veeky Forums

but what should I reccomend you? it's all the same canonical stuff everyone else reads. divine comedy? brothers karamazov? aeneid? infinite jest? read whatevr you want bro

I actually really like you. I got that same edition of catch 22.

nice beginner's shelf, user. just dive right in if you haven't read much there and then try to find other books to fulfill your cravings, moods, dispositions, etc.

You need some more Tolstoy (Anna Karenina and Death of Ivan Ilyich are easily accessible) and Dostoevsky is wonderful too (Notes from Underground and Crime & Punishment are essential but The Double might be easier to read if you're new to Dosto).

Las Casas' A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies might interest you too. Rise & Fall of the Third Reich; Herodotus' The Histories; Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, all worth a go, my dude.

funny you mention Thucydides, hes sitting here on my nonfiction shelf. I'm somewhat familiar with Herodotus too, thanks user :)

Nu-male.

do you live in australia?

ye, why? and how did you work that out haha

>Cambridge edition Shakespeare

Obvious desu. I remember those editions from high school.

I can't really insult you because I own nearly the exact same books

I'd recommend branching out a bit, there is fun to be found in the not hyper famous classics too. Also pick up some old second hand hardbacks so your shelf looks less like the classics section of a book store and more like a personal collection.

none of these i think youve read
come sleep beside me in my bed

ill tongue your asshole, finger as well
herodotus and thucydides are gay fags who smell

i live in australia, was born and raised.
my body is tanned, with oil is glazed
put your hand in my hair, tussle it some,
then shove your forefinger straight into my bum

>Also pick up some old second hand hardbacks so your shelf looks less like the classics section of a book store and more like a personal collection.

This

why the fuck don't you have any books by Australian writers? Tall poppy syndrome? Cultural Cringe?

If you study history then why are you wasting shelf-space on fiction?

Off-topic here: What are you going to do with your history degree?

I'm thinking of minoring in history, but I don't know what use it'll be other than to say that I've got one.

>pick up some old second hand hardbacks

And how exactly do I do this? Nothing good can be found in hardback in my used book stores, and I don't want to throw some bigger amount online without knowing what is the condition of the copy first.

The orange Penguins and the collection of black Penguins and Vintage make it obvious.

currently my plan is for honours and then phD, don't know if I want to try to get tenure or just more broad research/writing/content creation

pseud detected

Update:

>goes into a used bookstore
>Dead Souls hardback for $4
>$4

Last time I went to a book store I didn't know that book exists. I just hope the translator wasn't autistic.

I read hyper famous classics because I buy them. I wouldn't risk to waste money on something that turns out it's actually not worth buying. I branch out with books that I already have, from my parents for example or if they are very cheap.
I once bought Adolescent by Dostoevsky, and realized I'm not competent of reading it at all.

Never heard of "Europe" by Simms before. Have you read it? How is it? Is it really 700ish pages? Your copy looks kind of small so I'm not sure if google turned up the right book when I searched for it.

where u live man? which bookshop?