Don't rate; appreciate. Patrician coming through

Don't rate; appreciate. Patrician coming through.

If you've read it all, props to you. If not, you're no better than the people who have several gigs of books downloaded yet don't read any...

left stack is great, i have a hard time imagining youve read more then half of it though

buy a goddamn bookshelf

>no Pléiade editions
get out low-lifer

can't, too many books to buy. i've been thinking about constructing one but i'm too busy reading and shitposting.

Do people take their books off of tables and shelves just to jack themselves off like this? Do you own a shelf? Are you a transient pseud?

Poor excuse desu

But your taste is good, if a little predictable

Is the Princeton Kierkegaard this one?

>spanish and english editions of 2666 and El Quijote

Que te pasa?

the only book here i envy is maqroll. i have everything else i want.

Nothing patrician about buying books.

the first anglo I've ever seen to read Schiller
kudos, you have transcended anglo-plebiness

Well, fuck, those are some strong stacks. Not enough Russian or French tbqh.

>doesn't read Homer in Greek
>doesn't read Heidegger and Kafka in German
>apparently only knows English
>calls himself patrician

He does own a Spanish copy of 2666

Yes, but also an English version, and a "First Spanish Reader" can be spotted at the top left stack. At least an attempt at learning Spanish, I guess.

She's a real mensch.

Why have two copies of Lolita and Ulysses?

we get it, you read...

Which of those have you read?

No habla espanol

Ah fuck I've been exposed. It's true, I'm a pathetic monoglot.
Why not
About 80%. Haven't read Wittgenstein, haven't read a lot of the stuff in the hidden stacks

cuando quiero
la coca
rocha

>I Ching
I really don't understand why this is read outside of /x/ circles. It's a pretty empty text of divination. It's pretty much useless unless you actually practice it, but even then it's an encyclopedia of characters that mean nothing on their own. It's almost like people buy it along side the tao te ching just because they go together as chinese classics, when one is like 99% more useful than the other.

Can anybody explain?

>Can anybody explain?

Not OP, but I've been tempted to get the I Ching purely because of some PKD novels I've read. The I Ching is referenced in VALIS and it plays a central part to The Man In The High Castle, i.e. Abendsen uses the I Ching to make plot decisions in "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" which is the novel within the novel where the Allies beat the Axis in WW2 (but not the way it happened historically), and likewise PKD actually used the I Ching to make plot decisions in The Man In The High Castle (where the Axis beat the Allies).

But when browsing books online or in a shop, I've always decided against it and spent my money on a "real" book instead

The fact that you devote time to this is a testament to my continuous victory.

Your collection is still quite good though. You might want to learn German. As a language from the same language family as English, it is not too hard, and you would be able to read those German philosophers in the original language.

Hi, Patricia! My name's Dad!

>not gabler ulysses
>kjv bible
>edith hamilton and not bulfinch

>prefers someone other than joyce's editing
>not choosing the original 1922 text, the only edition approved by joyce himself

i swear to god if i ever see you posting here again...

>choosing error filled edition of an already hard to decipher book
>not realizing gabler is closer to the original than the 1922 ed.

>german
>not too hard

which is even more ironic considering OP has the guyer wood translation of kant, which is widely renowned for its clarity, so much so that german kant scholars will learn english to better understand kant by reading it

>Lolita
>twice
>one on top, ready to grab

huh...

OP i think you are lying about reading 80% of these. Why you would lie I cannot motivate why, but seriously most of these books are paperbacks and none of mine look that pristine after reading.

German is very closely related to English. If learning German is too hard, all languages are too hard.
>german kant scholars will learn english to better understand kant
Hahaha. This is nonsense. But there is a running joke about German students reading Kant in English because it is easier. This could be true, because English translations often simplify long sentences etc. But German scholars? No way.

>German is very closely related to English. If learning German is too hard, all languages are too hard.
I speak both fluently and that's retarded. German simply IS way more difficult than English. Especially intellectual German.
>so much so that german kant scholars will learn english to better understand kant by reading it
That's fucking BS.
I studied under Professors who were unironical Kantians. They all had the same summary of his entire works from some 70s edition.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if half of them couldn't speak English fluently.

One of them is the annotated edition my man

Thanks for double (You). German might be harder than English, but from an Anglo point of view, German is closely related, and hence easier than most other languages. But my judgment might be skewed a little, Dutch is my native language.

of course it is, both german and english are of germanic origin, but german is a lot more traditional than english, english changed a lot over the centuries, to a point where there's little to no intelligibility between both languages. German grammar is also much more difficult than english grammar.

Well, duh. If you are Dutch, that would be your logical impression.
If (as native Englishman) you first learned Dutch (which is easier to him than German, since it IS was more related), German would also become way easier.

I have a German father, a Dutch mother and was born in the USA. We moved to Germany when I was a kid.
That shit was fucking grueling.

Ten bucks say that you still get Dativ and Akkusativ (dir/dich, mir/mich etc) mixed up. And not to mention the genders of the articles, which YOU only mix up because the Dutch ones are usually the other way around, while an Englishman doesn't know them at all.

It's obviously easier for an English native than, say, a Japanese. But even then, Roman languages like Spanish or Italian are waaay easier. (Dutchies being one of the few exceptions.)

Perhaps you had more problems because you were exposed to three languages at the same time, getting them mixed up quicker. I learned the Roman languages (French and reading Italian) later and found them harder, even with the ancient tongues in the bag.

>no serial comma

Disgusting sub human wench

back in jail I used to hold guys like you down and make them suck my buddy's dick.

More like Untermensch

the i ching pictured in the stack is not the best edition imo, that's the wilhelm-baynes.
anyways, i don't gotta explain shit to you, my chi is well conditioned and waves of intensity flow through my body. thank you based i ching.
in all honesty it is a book of philosophy, poetry, and foundational mythology. how could you not be interested.

>says the faggot on a canadian seal clubbing forum

>all that fiction

read some non-fic. 2/10, flabby brain would not bang.

Is that Karl Ove Kanusgaard guy cool?

fucking knew it, this was the sole purpose of this thread

>can buy tons of books
>can't get a simple shelf
"patrician"

how is that OWC bible?

Baghavad Gita

>have a library of books you've already read

do people really do this?

>Anne Carson

nice

For the same reason you ought to be familiar with some basic structures withing Christianity before reading Western literature. It helps you make sense of a bunch of (implied) stuff.
Imagine it as the occult/mythological extension of core Tao tenets.
Nah, not really. My father never spoke German to me in the US and I refused to speak Dutch a couple years before moving to G. So really I was just an English speaking kid who knew Germanic phonetics. I had the same issues with German as all the other foreigner I know of. The grammar.
Also French is one of the more difficult Roman languages (Romanian being the only more difficult one I can think about). Those grammatical times, wew lad. Made me fail my first run at the language.

It's obviously a more personal thing. But for people who know none of the phonetics and no similar grammar, German is one of the most difficult European languages.
And it seems that language institutions agree with me here.

OP confirmed for shut in

Gr8
Now learn other languages
YOU FUCKING PLEN
>reading all of those Latin and Greek classics in translation
>lazy motherfucker

Good now if only I could read all of the titles clearly.

I still rate this 7.5/10