Culinary school

Alright Veeky Forums, I want to make food for a living. It's the only career-worthy skill I'm good at.

Is culinary school worth it?

No. Save the money. Find a small time setup and become their prep bitch. That experience will benefit you more than anything.

what country?

Clapistan
So do I just keep my ear to the ground for this one? I know a couple people who are friends with chefs/restaurant owners

No, qork in good kitchens from bottom up then go to france and peel potatoes for 12 hrs a day for no pay for awhile then come back and cook in new york, la, san fran, denver, etc

Perhaps write a midlly interesting book about it displaying your innate robotic ability to suffer, a trait intrinsic to good cooks and chefs

In an ideal world you'd get into a jr college with grants while working part time in kitchens. After 4 or 5 years you'll have work experience and a degree to fall back on.

What do? Just relentlessly look for gigs and hang out outside smoke break areas to look for work?

That's like going to music school to be a rock star.

I don't want to be a rock star

I just want to saute and fry shit to the best of my ability

Well this ain't an ideal world, motherfucker

No. Keep your eyes on the road your hands upon the wheel.

No, culinary school grads are retards who can't even pull their weight in an actual kitchen but act like they should be in charge just because they learned a couple of outdated recipes.

So what do? Get a dishwasher job and stage for a year?

Yeah, start by being a dishie, show that you're reliable and not too big an idiot, ask to help with the prep when you're not too busy (probably won't even need to ask) and go from there.
Or better yet keep cooking as a hobby and find something better to do because kitchens fucking suck.

op I've worked in kitchens since I was 17 as a cook, I started in a del taco with a spic woman who couldn't speak a word of English. That bitch taught me how to roll burritos like a madman, after years of shit tier work I clawed my way up to working in fancier restaraunts where I was in charge of sauces or stews and soups and shit, and desu senpai if you can't suffer silently or grind your ass off in a kitchen then you'll never make it. it's annoying as fuck, it seems like everyone who does kitchen work tries his damnest to shove as much work off on everyone else as possible. not just that but the amount of shit you take from everyone if anything at all goes wrong. You literally have to be a robot to make it here it's Fucking gay as fuck and full of lazy people. I wish you luck tho, oh yeah, also fuck culinary school just work hard and climb the ladder by working in more and more challenging positions.

Unless you plan on opening up a restaurant after or have a job lined up as an executive chef its a waist of money

Get an apprenticeship. School one day a week, work the rest. Get your qualification, it will help. But do it the right way.

All grad students are like this.

Mister they will show you how to make food for free you just have to go watch. I don't pay for Subway sandwiches anymore, they literally reveal their process to you right before your eyes. Instead of leaving your home to acquire submarine sandwiches, you can recall their recipe and create it in the comfort of your own home.

Fuck culinary school. I've got cooking with Jack show and Simply Sara

NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE!