Can I sue a literary agency for mocking my work?

Can I sue a literary agency for mocking my work?

I submitted my novel (620 pages) written from the perspective of a carrier pigeon in World War 1 to a well-known literary agency and they accidentally copied me in to an email chain in which several of the emails mocked my work and also myself. This obviously hurts quite a lot but I'm wondering if I can sue them? I don't think they've noticed that I'm copied in yet and earlier today another email came through from the same chain.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1nrCG7dh
youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8
youtube.com/watch?v=3cdk2Fs2CP0
archived.moe/lit/thread/7608333/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>written from the perspective of a carrier pigeon in World War 1

fard on my dick

you can sue, but if you think you any chance in hell of winning you'd have to crazy.

>written from the perspective of a carrier pigeon
I have to ask.. Is it a written account? Or are you just writing 'hoot' for 600 pages?

Just get their credentials, get your receipts in order, and blast them on social media.

Way easier, cheaper, and more satisfying.

620 pages and no it's in English. It is essentially a story written from a neutral perspective about both sides during the war. A young Hitler makes an appearance in Chapter 16 when the pigeon narrator fights for scraps of food with a small dog which turns out to be Adolf's pet dog Foxl.

Post the emails OP. I need a good laugh.

As others have said then, post contents of some emails to see what they're talking about.
It's very likely that all you'd do from suing them would be wasting your own time and money.

Tbh this doesn't sound totally terrible

I saw a book a few months back (so it was already published is my point) which was a dramatic retelling of the battle of waterloo from the perspective of a rabbit who got caught in the middle of it.

Yours sounds better.

good job. i chuckled.

They'll settle to not damage their stock and reputation. Most likely. Just don't make a fuss, gather the evidence, let them know you have them, and give them a choice - trial or settle. They always settle.

Hard to have a case like defamation if it's a private email chain.
Would have to be a public statement etc.

This doesn't sound too bad. Can I read a sample of it? I'm honestly interested.

Please post the emails.
Also it sounds very gimmicky and the perspective would probably get annoying after a while.
But I have no idea how you write so I could be very, very wrong.

Hard? Yes. Impossible? No. Defamation is defamation whether in a private e-mail chain or a public statement. He just has to prove it.

Well for now it seems we're still waiting on samples from this chain.
Right now not sure if they're saying "He's retarded" or "This story is retarded"

You sent them your work because you, in a way, wanted their opinion. You got it.
Suck it up and write something better instead of trying to sue them for rejecting you.

There's a world of difference between quiet rejection and lambasting his work in a large publishing firm chain email. If they continue on from there to say all of his work is to be disregarded henceforth, grounds for defamation. It's not like there's some huge literary firm pathetically picking through Veeky Forums just to insult him, for example.

Business people are humans too and judges will understand that. He probably has more grounds to accuse them of breaching copyright by leaking the emails that contain his work, even if it is just back to him.
Nobody is going to believe he's suing them out of anything but spite for them not publishing him anyway; they're not causing him any damages by this email.
Maybe in the US it'll work.

For the love of god post the emails. I need this

Settling is what damages your reputation among people that matter. Being "sued" only matters to brainlets who saw the headline in the news (if it makes news) for a single day, but brainlets are easily impressionable, as you show us, so it seems like a justified offense despite the fact that when it goes to trial it might as well be thrown in trash for the frivolous lawsuit that it is. But that part won't be a headline, don't worry.

Here's where it started (as far as I can go back). The "Readers", probably summer interns or something, then removed the senior agent from the conversation and kept saying mean things about me to each other.

Oh wow, now I feel bad for OP.

Same, kinda disappointed too.

Now I feel bad for making fun of OP.

Sucks to see such a response but it looks like they're just rejecting it without going into anything abusive/defamatory.

Or is there more (severe) you're not showing?

kek

OP, its a funny premise; but you probably wrote something very amateur or low-brow. A perspective like that is very hard to pull of.

I can post a sample if you're interested sure. But I'd prefer to pick a passage from a later chapter, as I have pretty much decided to delete the first and second chapters since they are obviously not of a very good standard.

The "Readers" removed the senior agent from the conversation and just chatted among themselves. I think they are probably students interning for the summer or something but still, it doesn't feel good to read it. One of them sarcastically said it was "best-seller material" and the Louisa girl from the pic said "Haha pigeons and ww1, now there are two topics everybody cares about!" also being sarcastic.

Sounded shit in the OP, but you've turned it around.

Holy shit post an excerpt this sounds awesome

>My feelings are hurt so I'm going to sue.
Do you work for Google?

The reason why its shit and you got rejected is because pigeons aren't able to fucking think, have internal monologues or a stream of consciousness. You wrote 620 pages without realising the absurdity of the premise.

If you made it out as some weird po-mo concept they might have taken it more seriously.

Alright, that's fine.

>perspective of a carrier Pigeon in world war 1
What a shit show. If I was sent an email to this in that email chain, I would've outright sent a .wav of laughter back at you with this image.

Okay but I'll show something from a later chapter if that's alright.

Here is a link where I pasted one passage: pastebin.com/1nrCG7dh

Who the f**k are you to say that pigeons don't think? Are you a pigeon? Have you ever been one?

A misunderstood masterpiece, like the film Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8

I appreciate your effort into continuing this farce OP.

This is that 100 post user again
Newfags, there is a poster who constantly creates really elaborate schemes to mess with people by getting them to feel sympathy for his character and then slowly dissolve into autism, it usually always begins with calling himself a genius (I've noticed this pattern) he used to joke about his 6 volume memoir or this time that he paid a publisher to publish his book and he scheduled a book signing at a barnes and noble where only his mom came and bought 3 copies of the book. He does this because he's admitted he has nothing else in life and gets some sort of pleasure out of it, anyway, he had me going for a little bit until I saw him descend into cunty autism but the nail in the coffin is this quote that he always uses when people ask to see his writing in these threads (because it's pretty good but it comes from an archived post from years ago back when warosu was up, someone else found that one out, he usually takes any written material from past critique threads but almost always this one):
>"Magnus realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense."
Anyway OP, you should really find something else to occupy your time if this is all you really have.

Fascinating.

youtube.com/watch?v=3cdk2Fs2CP0

But creating these really elaborate threads on Veeky Forums could be seen as a form of literature as well.
Maybe OP can publish a collection someday.

ps Still remember this thread about disguising as a pizza delivery man to get his manuscript in, was pretty entertaining.

Damn I remember this guy. Nice autism on display in catching this. You're in good form today.

>>"Magnus realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense."
I got the most surreal deja vu from reading this line. I now remember that even back then I'd get that very same surreal feeling. It always came across as an existentially bleak inside joke that he always makes to himself.

Reminds me of the embarassing stories brit on /int/,

This is quality bait.

This sperglord? Hmmm...not convinced desu.

archived.moe/lit/thread/7608333/

I wonder who the real autist is?

The guy he is talking about. By far. He was pathological with his autism.

I always assume everybody is playing along in these threads, but then one of you bananas comes in and starts expostulating. Or are you anxious OP, preferring to explain the joke over being uncertain of its status? Hmm...

Did you not recognize the pasta or am I getting layered.

This is itself a pasta btw.

LINK PLEASE

Agreed. Top notch.

How many layers of irony is this thread on?

See
Just one of dozens, possible hundreds of threads this guy has started or posted in.

Pure comedy gold.

Post some more stuff birdman.

At least you got read, which is already huge; because most people get rejected without a reading.

Concept of the novel sounds really interesting. Anyone who mocks this is dumb as fuck and should not work in the publishing industry, since 1) the concept is good, 2) what makes the success of a book is the execution and not so much the concept.

The mails you posted don't look like significantly damaging to you. Pass.

I cant remember if i was in that thread or just saw caps of it. Legendary

t. Thomas Nagel

This thread is pure pottery

I mean, what exactly did you expect OP, it's a 600 page book about a fucking bird. Maybe if it was a simple short story, but dammit man.

Have to confirm this shit, thanks for posting the pasta. The guy is actually completely fucking insane.

pic is what Discordianism essentially is

>completely fucking insane

Obviously not if he can communicate in a comprehensible way.

No, this isn't the same 100 post user, he left a while ago. It's just someone imitating him. Stop re-posting this copypasta

Can anyone explain to me what's the actual point of pasta?
Like you just save some mediocre rant in a word document and then paste it and then F5 to see if anyone will respond to it?
Why? Why would you be interested to see a response to a thought that isn't even yours?

You get the same sort of dopamine hit from people responding to it if you post it even if you didn't write it.

>some mediocre rant
Pasta is usually quite original, noticeable and amusing, otherwise no one would bother saving it and posting it.

>Why would you be interested to see a response to a thought that isn't even yours?
It's a show. You post images that aren't yours, either, to get a response. You wear clothes that weren't made by you to project an image, etc.

Richard Brittain pls go

Never EVER underestimate the value of a (you) to a guy who has nothing else.

I'm not OP, but I'll say I've made a thread like the ones you describe with no knowledge that there were other people doing the same. For what it's worth, I didn't want to troll people, I had a legitimate point, and Veeky Forums insulted me, so I said 'fuck it', and started shitposting.

If Veeky Forums weren't so arrogant, this wouldn't happen. Grow up, guys.

>sue sue sue
Fucking americans are the worst

lol its kinda funny OP because my ww1 novella written entirely from the perspective of carrion birds is currently being bid on for over $300k

t. someone who doesn't have a (you) collection

If that bird were trans then they would have published it in a heartbeat

do you think he is the same guy who posts the "intellectually I'm all spooked out"

Wait is this the same autistic shitposter who started all the "moving to a cabin in Norway to write my book" threads?

It is morally wrong, you should always make yourself a fresh pasta

'Tis the very same fellow it seems.

The real twist is that it is a man identifying as a carrier pigeon.

I respect his dedication the same way I respect an autistic child who does nothing but build 10000 piece puzzles all day.

This seems like a standard rejection. You may need to work on your book. Also you should expect many rejections even if your book is great. Its a good premise though, seems too ambitious maybe? You ever read Silverwing? It's a pretty good book from a bat's perspective. You should read it for inspiration

>pastebin.com/1nrCG7dh
Why'd you remove it? I never got to see it, sounds good

This is now a pretty quality pasta

Can you turn it into a children's book? Sounds like something I would have bought at the scholastic book fair.

Damn that post is hilarious. I'm in tears.

could be any one of us

not me though, I'm spartacus not anonymous

I miss book faires

I would unironically purchase your book OP, sounds more interesting then most of the unoriginal garbage published today

Threaten to go public unless they publish your book, obviously. It can only end well.

so basically you just wrote the plot to Valiant?

No, that copypasta was written by someone else. I've read almost of Memoir user's copypastas and threads throughout the years and I can discern when it is him due to the style and tone he uses in his bait posts, and the similarities in the types of characters he likes to play. Another giveaway is that he uses the British spelling of words since he's british. He was the one who started the "Voice of YOUR generation" threads though. He hasn't posted at all since his goodbye thread back in April, everyone since then has just been imitators like in this thread, and they don't match to his genius.

One day later - this is great bait.

The "voice of YOUR generation" meme has been going on for years since Tao Lin became known here. It's not specific to one user, autistic or otherwise.

Rabbits probably can't either but it didn't stop Watership Down becoming a classic.

wait he left? thats a shame I loved his threads. link to the goodbye thread?

This was my first thought when saw this thread the other day.
Only OP's book has "literally" Hitler and is long enough for several films or a tv series.
If it were novella length I'd consider buying it.
Not too keen on reading something Infinite Jest length written by a new kid.