Can we get an update on those 2 Greeks images that float around in every Greek thread...

Can we get an update on those 2 Greeks images that float around in every Greek thread. I have finished the Odyssey and the Illiad and don't know where to go next, i have had different responses form anons and well I want a Veeky Forums consensus on the true order on reading Greek literature.

According to these:
>ancient-literature.com/timeline.html
tells me to read Hesiod's theogony and work and day
>historyworld.net/timesearch/default.asp?conid=1061&keywords=Greek literature
tells me to go to Parmenides
>oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780191736469.timeline.0001
oxford says Parmenides too
>hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html
Harvard press says Hesiod

So what do? i'd make the image but i haven't read all these books, can anons who've read lots of the Greeks give their opinion.

>tranflated by mr. Pope

>tranflated by Mr. Pope
Don't they have an editor? lmao can't believe thay couldn't catch that

>tranflated
>calling the Pope a Mr

weew

>Reading Pope
You haven't read the iliad, boy.

Pope did a brilliant work. But it's not Homer.

I've just started reaading the Illiad and I'm at the point where I'm being told about where everyone is from, the shoutouts to every single city and a back story of the leader. I think I've read like 12 or so pages of this.

I've got a couple of questions

>How long more does it go?

>Does this happen again?

That ends (or at least slows down) after the catalogue.

It is only the Book II. Why people are so stupid?

Hesiod.

Until the end of book 2 and take pic related with you.

Just read whatever you dumbfuck. The Greeks aren't a chore.

>The Greeks aren't a chore.
i know they're not a chore, but i don't want to miss out on a reference or anything because i went out of order if there is an order. which is why i made the thread asking for anons who have read more greeks than me for their opinion.

It was like 7 pages long in my edition. Why do people bitch about it so much? Is this what happens when you're raised watching tv designed to be dynamic and colorful 100% of the time?

PS OP there will be no consensus. Just fucking read. There is no single perfect order.

There is no "proper" way to read philosophy, regardless of what Veeky Forums tells you, who knows what you're missing out on by reading the Greeks instead of something else as the supposed base?

>PS OP there will be no consensus. Just fucking read. There is no single perfect order.
yeah i guess ill just do the order that i wants. and as for the part you're in, the book gets ten times better, just power through that listing of ships and people. A lot of them you don't absolutely have to remember unless you're trying to be an expert in the Iliad, just write down the names of guys that keep coming up and who / what they did so keep them fresh, in 2 or 3 books you wont even need it anymore.

Here it says Achilles is from Peleus. Isn't he from Pthia?

Hey lads, I'm near finishing Edith Hamilton's Mythology and would like to start Iliad right after that. What English translation is most recommended?

I don't get this. Surely NO translation can have the same rhymes or the same exact meter. Surely ALL of the translations have the same story and themes. What exactly is missing that is in other translations?

Don't just repeat its not Homer. None of them are. What specifically do the others have more of that make them closer to Homer?

Y-you're joking, right, user-kun? Surely you know what a long s is.

Fagles' translation is the easiest to read, that's the one I'm reading now.
I've heard Fitzgerald's receive a great deal of praise as well.
And the general consensus on Pope's is that he is the most artistic.

'strassler' ok.