I want to sort myself out more Veeky Forums

Life's been getting better since I started to try and quit my bad habits, get Veeky Forums and truly work on myself.
Recommend a 19 year old some books that teach what a young man should know, growing up with a passive and nihilistic father figure.
So far I've really like Devils by Dostoevsky with his onslaught on nihilism and Extreme Ownership written by two veterans, teaching you to take complete responsibility of your actions.
Thinking about reading The Bible soon too.

Other urls found in this thread:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2006/12/this_is_not_a_narcissistic_inj.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Beat it, kid.

Wow, he's fallen for all the spooks. The greatest spook you must vanquish is your shame.

Kant, Fichte, Schelling, Hegel, then Schelling again.

Why do you people always blame your shortcomings on your dads?

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, OKAY!?

I wasn't, I guess I should of said nihilistic and passive figures I looked up to instead of father figures, thought it was the same thing.

does peterson know he's a self-help guru to millenial manchildren?

or does he still view himself as an academic?

follow this guide to sort yourself out:
- go to bed at 10 pm and wake up at 5 am.
- no screens (TV, phone) two hours before you go to bed.
- meet new people who share your interests

Baby Boomers are the direct cause of essentially all problems Millenials face as a generation, but for some reason the Baby Boomers despise the millenials for it.

>tfw you're a 28 year old man child and Peterson says it's too late to sort yourself out and you are an abomination for everyone else to observe
>tfw you can't sort yourself out even if you wanted to because that would entail choosing to become something and you don't want to becoming anything implies not being everything
>tfw you are too intelligent to becoming something because everything is absurd

You need some pussy.

Yes of course but that's like a chicken and the egg argument.
Which comes first, sorting yourself out, and then pussy?
Or pussy, and then sorting yourself out?

It's never too late. You will suffer from doing it.

If you're going to read the Bible, you may as well go all the way.
>Study Bibles (NRSV and KJV)
>Study Quran
>Bhagavad Gita
>Tao Te Ching
>Teachings of the Buddha
>Myths of Mesopotamia, including Enuma Elish and Epic of Gilgamesh
>Iliad and Odyssey, also Theogony and Metamorphoses, maybe the Aeneid
>History of Religious Ideas

Imagine being such a brainlet that you listen to someone who says "don't believe everything you hear" and then immediately believe everything he says as invariably true

My dad always blamed his problems on his dad so I learned it from him.

>imagine being such a brainlet that you have to knock down strawmen to get your "i'm a big boy intellectual" dopamine hit on a mongolian mail bride messaging service

He means pussy cat, dude. You get them at any pet store around...

>Thinking about reading The Bible

Don't. As someone who's read both testaments, its a huge waste of time for self help purposes. If anything read meditations but even then, don't assume that any of these antiquated books are superior and more relevant today than modern self help books just because they are 'le so ancient and wisdomy'.

I cleaned my room, finished school, got a job, and got married.

Life is still pointless and I still hate myself and every day is miserable drudgery. Now what?

>falling for the old traditional life meme

>I cleaned my room, finished school, got a job, and got married.
did you do these things out of genuine interest and because you saw a benefit in doing them or because people told you to?

If i only did the things I'm genuinely interested in I'd be dead in a week

You've done all of that because you wanted to fit in, to appear normal, to satisfy your parents, all while ignoring your inner self and now it is suffering inside of you, roughly speaking. It's fine if your don't want to have a wife/children. That doesn't make you a cuck, no matter what others tell you.

I have a genuine interest in some of those things.

But I got a job so I don't starve.

Change what you hate about yourself faggot

No.

If I could do that, I wouldn't hate myself.

so you're a genuine idiot

>muh existential dread

oh boo fucking hoo

>what a young man should know
What you need isn't in books. It's in church.

Well we do inherit a lot of our bullshit from our parents. The problem is putting the blame on them and then thinking you've overcome it in doing so. You still have to take responsibility for yourself.

>sort yourself out
Then you should start caring about setting standards on the ideas that will enter your stream of consciousness. This includes obvious charlatans, like Peterson, who are a good aource only for absolute plebs who still have not made their first step. You have done so, which means that from now virtually every book you'll read will be more worthwhile than listening to JP.

If you're interested in his ideas, look into his sources. As a golden rule, avoid all the pseudo-intellectuals that are meme's on Veeky Forums, and if you still want to give them a try, read their books and avoid youtube videos, for on youtube and Veeky Forums what always wins is not substance, but charisma and edginess.
Again
>So far I've really like Devils by Dostoevsky with his onslaught on nihilism and Extreme Ownership written by two veterans, teaching you to take complete responsibility of your actions.
Stop being such a fucking meme and read worthwhile books, and analyze and contemplate them from YOUR point of view. I mean, do you even realize how much of an heresy it is to read Dostoevsky and apply everything he says to fucking Peterson's narratives? You may have to reread the books you've written, do so only once you'll have understood how much of a retard Kermit is.

unironically: start with the Greeks

>Recommend a 19 year old some books that teach what a young man should know, growing up with a passive and nihilistic father figure.
There's nothing you should know, and most of what Peterson says has no universal significance, it's mostly pragmatic advices that, in his case, lead to a more serene life. Although he says otherwise, he is an hardcore Nietzscheian and Jungian: to him ideas and concepts are just beautiful lies that make life easier.
Of course he will present them in an authoritative manner, pretending that they are the absolute truth, but this happens only because he, just like Jung and Nietzsche, wanted other people to believe in those ideas.
So there's my advice: grow some balls and try to understand the scope of your feelings and attitudes. Be more introspective, do not take ANYTHING at face value (but so not be excessively dismissal either, read the Gay Science by Nietzsche to see how nihilism can be approached jovially), realize that no one will most likely help you (which means that most of the work is on you), and that laziness is a spook, and generally not a justification.
Since you're interested in JP, drop him and keep reading Dostoevskij instead. Read the Bible, but not by yourself. Read the SEP articles for the Greeks, Spinoza, Descartes ans Lant, then read Nietzsche.
In all of this, forget everything Peterson tols you about these authors. He is a very bad reader, and analyze everything from his very specific ideological point of view, which is not even systematic, meaning that it can't be applied outside of itself, nor it is versatile enough to do so in the first place. Seriously, forget all of it: it's worthless.

Do not start with the Greeks, for they require nuance to be understood. Most Greek philosophy readers here will just end up being edgy LARPers pretending to have figured out virtue, or to know the first thing about Plato (while also not knowing that his philosophy is based on secret doctrines).
Universities are a good place to study them: the experience will be humbling, which is the mindset required to read them. It's a fine balance: skepticism has to be costantly applied, but if you do so too much you'll end up missing on a vast wealth of priceless insights. Follow courses if you live in Europe, if you live in the US I guess you're fucked.
Read the Bible with an actual theologian or priest (there are countless similar initiatives everywhere in the Europe and the US). Again, avoid JP when reading the Bible.

That's it.

>just read the bible with a priest and you're all set

kek

they fuck you up, your mum and dad
they may not mean to but they do

I've said theologians first, which implied that if you're going with a priest you should check for his reputation in theological understanding first,

But no, let's listen to Jordan Peterson's lectures instead.

Thanks for being there to call me out on some of my shit. I'll take some things to heart and practice them, others not so much.

What are the things you're choosing not to care about?

>I'm too smart to change my life.
Oh, well, that's convenient.
thelastpsychiatrist.com/2006/12/this_is_not_a_narcissistic_inj.html

>Implying inter generation wisdom ought not to be followed just because some autist tried to intellectually justify egocentrism
Stirner is the real spook t b h

>Fuck Peterson
>Just do your own thing and don't read other people's critiques of recognized works
>Just be an eternal contrarian like me
Very bad advice t b h

>Fuck Peterson
I stand by it.
>Just do your own thing and don't read other
people's critiques of recognized works
I have said to avoid charlatans, I have said nothing about secondary literature
>>Just be an eternal contrarian like me
Avoiding youtube talking heads that get credit only in intelletctual wasteland such as reddit, youtube and Veeky Forums does not equal being eternal contrarians. It just means that you have some standards.

>Peterson is only renowned because people like him and what he has to say
>This is a bad thing
M8...

More like
>the only people who like Peterson are uneducated edgy NEET manchildren

I'm still going to listen to JP a bit, he has had a positive impact on my life in the following year turning me more away from a soul sucking, nihilistic world and also turning me completely away from /pol/ and their ways on how they need to change the world while I really need to change myself first.

>I don't like x intellectual therefore anyone who does like him is y,z childish ad hominems
M8...

Right, baby boomers were merely a vehicle the jews now destroying western societies rode to power. If you want to find purpose in life as a white man, you need to understand the jewish problem, and the Culture of Critique should be first in your starter pack.

>Da joos did it

>everyone's ignorance is the same
Regardless, after he will have read Nietzsche, Dostoevsky and Jung, what will Peterson be him? A non-entity, a child who tries to play with adults, failing miserably.

Read Nietzsche then, and again, forget what JP had to say about it: you're not going to read every book from his point of view, aren't you?
If you're interested about what he has to tell about spirituality read Jung.
If you're interested about what he has to say about man being morphed by his context, keep reading Dostoevsky and see what a man is capable of.

Again, you've read Devils and this is what you had to say
>So far I've really like Devils by Dostoevsky with his onslaught on nihilism and Extreme Ownership written by two veterans, teaching you to take complete responsibility of your actions.
That's as if I started rambling about surplus value, postcolonialism and microaggression while talking about Brothers Karamazov. You have to realize that at the moment you are a walking meme, and this is due to the fact that your only source of culture is Jordan Peterson.

being >that guy

Do you npcs just sit in stasis before the threads are posted then spawn on creation?

If you're trying to discredit the objective reality that jews hold disproportionate power and are using it to attack and displace white people, posting Codreanu quotes probably isn't the best way to go about it.

>A non-entity, a child who tries to play with adults, failing miserably.
M8 any of the videos you have seen of him are either his intro classes and videos intentionally simplified to get people interested in his ethos. The entire point of JP's youtube is to get people interested in Jung, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, the Bible, etc

Unironically, this might be the best advice ITT.

Although the changes seem simple, they have a large and complex effect, both because they require significant changes to implement and because they will create a cascade of other changes once implemented.

For example, let's look at the sleep issue, which the first two points address.

Sleeping early means you're less likely to waste time and in part, your health, doing things that people normally stay up to do: go out to nightclubs, drinking, staying up to do work, "pull all-nighters" etc.

Waking early gives you additional time in the morning, when people are generally still asleep. This kind of quiet time can be used for exercise, meditation, creative work, cooking breakfast, even just taking a walk. More importantly, waking with the sunrise is ingrained in our biology and has measurable effects on overall health and hormonal balance.

Getting rid of screens before bedtime has the obvious and well-researched effect of promoting proper sleep hygiene and consistent bedtimes. There's also the question of what to do with those two hours away from the screen? Since this is Veeky Forums, reading literature comes to mind. Chatting with your family and friends (without a screen in between) is another option. The time can also be used for prayer, meditation, self-reflection, maintaining a journal, exercise, creative work--pretty much all the things we tell ourselves we don't have time for.

A lack of adequate sleep may be the main reason why people are so out of balance these days, mentally and physically. I really believe that this one change causes a cascade that leads to a substantially better life.

one of the worst posts ive ever seen on Veeky Forums

Wasn't that my original point?
Here's what I've said:
>This includes obvious charlatans, like Peterson, who are a good aource only for absolute plebs who still have not made their first step.
And then
>If you're interested in his ideas, look into his sources
It looks like you agree with me.

A guy asked for life advices while using Peterson's jargon. I've adviced him to read the authors Peterson references instead, and to avoid giving too much weight to Veeky Forums pseudo-intellectuals. Is there anything wrong with it?

>Is there anything wrong with it?
You are still to realize you yourself are the real pseudo-intellectual

Except Peterson isn't a pleb, you're a pleb for assuming that the project Peterson intentionally started to get people interested in his ethos is all he is lmao

You are triggered, it's showing. I mean, this lack of arguments is very telling.

One of the most pseud posts I've ever seen on Veeky Forums

Oh, the delusion? Don't worry, at some point you'll understand that Peterson to you is just a surrogate internet daddy, and that as an intellectual he is worthless. The day will come, again, don't worry.

>Don't worry, at some point you'll understand that Peterson to you is just a surrogate internet daddy,
I wonder if you're even smart enough to understand what this picture means. I don't watch Peterson because he isn't interesting at all to me and the videos he puts out are meant to be very basic.

The fact that you feel the need to.place yourself above introductory level videos made by a renowned college professor is pretty telling of your psychology though.

THAT FEELING WHEN NO DR. JORDAN B. PETERSON ARCHETYPE DAD TO REDPILL YOU ON DOMINANCE HIERARCHIES WHEN YOU ARE A CHILD AND STILL YOUNG ENOUGH TO SORT YOURSELF OUT

>The fact that you feel the need to.place yourself above introductory level videos made by a renowned college professor is pretty telling of your psychology though.
The vast majority of his videos are about points that are outside of his field of expertise.
Also you seem to agree with me. You think that Peterson's contents are at a pretty basic level. I think so too, in fact I've told that user to read the authors he references instead.
Ultimately, since you seem to understand that his contents are meant to be experience by completely uneducated amateurs, why do you think people should try to identify and accept said contents? If someone knows enough to know that Peterson is clueless about philosophy, mythology and literature, why would that someone
a) waste time with JP
b) tell to other people to read him and care about his opinion?

anyone arguing in favor of this dweeb needs to quit posting. your "renowned college professor" is a dilettante and a fraud. all this time spent on fucking youtube personalities could be spent reading actual literature.

>Peterson says it's too late to sort yourself out

Not one fucking time has he said that

>m-my daddy would never say that!!!!

>Peterson is clueless about philosophy, mythology and literature,

That's the disconnect you egocentric moron, Peterson > (You), the entire point of his YouTube is to get young people interested in philisophy, you're not more intelligent than him just because you're above his intro level discourse lmao the sheer amount of delusions of grandeur you have is nearly screencap worthy

>Stop liking things I don't like
>How dare other people become interested in philisophy through e celebs making simplified content
Cancer. Pure cancer

So you're saying that if I call you out on your bullshit that means I'm clearly worshiping a surrogate father figure. Seems legit

Peterson is probably a smart person, but we are not talking about him: we are talking about his contents.
Now, you have recognized them as extremely basic, and you have already stated that they are not education in themselves, rather they only offer the motivation to pursue education.
Now, thisnis compatible with my advice: drop the self-help contents and read the aithors and philosophers that aee behind Peterson's simplified ideas.
Again, you are agreeing with me, you're just mad that I have no respect for Peterson.

>Why are you not respecting me for being a pleb!!!!
>I'm reading YA books! Why are you dismissing my opinion on literature???

>We're just talking about Peterson's content
>Not Peterson
>If someone knows enough to know that Peterson is clueless about philosophy, mythology and literature,
Sure about that m8? You seem pretty focused on argumentum ad hominem to me , and you're just desperately trying to salvage this.
>I'm mad
No, I'd have to say thats you.

It's pretty obvious your a pleb if you don't even know how to engage in proper discourses on logic which doesn't involve dismissing arguments on the character of those giving them lmao.
>I'm an intellectual
Lmao you're a pseud who wants to seem intellectual but has to flex his muscles on newbies to stay relevant.

The problem with calling Peterson a pleb/pseud/charlatan/whatever is the implication that you yourself are in a position to discern such a thing, which if I'm honest to god being totally unbiased is rather doubtful.
Peterson's content is for the most part on the level of the courses he teaches, which in other words is sophomore-junior level university undergraduate. That's his usual audience and that's generally whom he is addressing. For you to call ideas on this level "simplified" and for me to take you seriously I'm gonna need to see some display of more potent examinations, because right now it kind of sounds like you're just basking in the glow of the computer screen trying to snipe down anyone who says anything or even bothers trying to actually exist.

If you go to any Peterson thread none of his ideas actually ever even get discussed for any length of time because one shill inevitably marches in, posts a drive-by pasta about how he's a pseud, and then the thread turns into talking about whether or not he's a pseud instead of what he actually says.
Every time.

Peterson said if you haven't sorted yourself out by 30 it's bad but too late, by 40 it's the point of no rrtjrb
>tfw 30 in a few months, crippled with existential anxiety NEET

>be skeptical, don't listen to JPs bullshit
>trust me and follow all advice about who to listen to and who to not listen to, after all, I'm an anonymous nobody with no credentials who should be taken very, very seriously

OP, just thirst for knowledge and take in as many perspectives as possible. Enjoy JP, really see the world from his eyes, then do the same with other thinkers, just keep going. Don't get stuck for too long with any one perspective before opening yourself to others. Have fun while you do it. Keep pushing yourself forward but don't take it all too seriously. You will know the Gods by their cheerfulness.

Pic is wrong, Stirner isn't a normative egoist, nor does he imply exploitation is wrong.

What? A lot of people never found their way until their 40s bruh.

Just read how the fuck he is reading Dostoevsky. Of course he should stop listening to Peterson.

wtf is this image....................

>You will know the Gods by their cheerfulness.
>Implying fools don't cheer the loudest.

The fool is God, user.

You're legitimately evaluating the quality of that reading from... What, user?

Yeah lmao I don't know if he thought that line was clever but he just sold himself out

Wow you faggots are the worst. You don't magically cultivate willpower you fucks. You just literally have to get up and do whatever it is you want. You don't sit in bed you just get up and do the fucking thing. Jesus Christ

there is no chicken and egg argument. you sort yourself out. then you get pussy.

OR more accurately: you sort yourself out, you realize that pursuing women purely for physical relationships is suboptimal, then you form an actual loving relationship with a female, then you get pussy.

I don't "blame" anyone. I attribute my faults to myself and my entire ancestry, but I attribute the responsibility of fixing them entirely to myself.

Mid-life crisis is basically the moment a 40-something realizes s/he's been living life completely wrong, postponing responsibility and suddenly being hit in the face with it when the person's mortality becomes too critical to ignore anymore. Thing is, there's no one who had a mid-life crisis that I know who turned out better for it, they became more neurotic, so to me it kind of is an indication that if you have a mid-life crisis at all you pretty much fucked up.

>Just do whatever it is you want
>Everything is easy, bro. Just be yourself!

Every time I try, I fail miserably.

that's absurd. every person on the planet is pretty much fucked up by your logic. people change, people have problems, nobody lives a charmed life 24/7 dude. 40 being some kind of watermark for lost causes is mind numbingly stupid. I had a prof. who didn't start school until 45 because she was a housewife. did he phd at 50 and started a career that she loves. get out some more.

Mid-life crisis reflects a paradigm shift where the person realises that the rules and aims of daily life have changed. Look up Jung or Ericksons stages of life. We must keep shifting our way of being with the world. Those who are increasingly neurotic in the second half of their life are that way because they are desperately trying to hold onto a paradigm for living that belongs in the first half of life. This is the cliche about buying a sportscar or motorbike. It's not about acting young, its about desperately trying to VALUE the same things that were valued in young life (drawing in wealth, status, etc.). Second half of life should be a turning towards legacy and future generations, etc. Going through all of these paradigm shifts is often a painful process, and we often need the support of someone who's done it before, AND/OR who can shut the fuck up and listen while we try to sort out what it means for our particular situation.

you clearly underrate the mental fuckery going on inside neets and other humangarbage.

they really need a father figure to help them out

Didn't know JP was such a controversial topic here, should've probably used something else as a picture.
Thanks.

>Didn't know JP was such a controversial topic here
is Veeky Forums really Veeky Forums's post modernist neo marxist defense force? They don't seem to be saying anything other than peterson sux, grow up loser, which I guess is pretty post modernist

It's just a bunch of lonely and bitter unsuccessful anons with legitimate daddy issues projecting onto his fans.

No, but I didn't think there were a bunch of losers here ready to argue for 10 hours about a college professor. You're the one who needs to grow up, you're obviously incredibly triggered by all this.

>is Veeky Forums really Veeky Forums's post modernist neo marxist defense force?
This is why people hate Peterson: he turns manchildren on Veeky Forums into propaganda boxes who can't possibly think critically for more than one second.
Also, and this is a personal opinion, JP drones are not worthy of tradition. If Peterson is what get you into religion, politics and culture, maybe you were not meant for it in the first place. Anyone who puts any semblance of value on the notion of aristocracy would laugh at the idea of discovering God through a theologically and philosophically ignorant e-celebrity.