Is this what Debord meant by "spectacle"?

Is this what Debord meant by "spectacle"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=irdHSmRrdh0
youtu.be/ngt1JK3DyOU
youtube.com/watch?v=77rKQVZTtFk
radaronline.com/videos/teen-livestreams-sister-death-instagram-car-crash/
hyperallergic.com/313435/an-illustrated-guide-to-guy-debords-the-society-of-the-spectacle/
youtube.com/watch?v=zprAcCYrrT8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spectacle has always been a part of human life, but it has gone out of control with the advent of the Internet, smartphones, etc. I don't think that is up for debate.

spectacles are relationshits of people mediated by images, yes

watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=irdHSmRrdh0

Debord is McLuhan for dumb cynics

mcluhan is wiener for turbo plebs who dont know better

Hey man, what's the Situation?

yes selfies with freudian dongles. near hot chicks mouths

>Media is the message

Literally just repackaging what Aristotle said millennia ago for plebs who didn't start with the Greeks.

Letting them vote was literally like letting adolescents vote

fact is, without jews there'd be no spectacle, just true authentic living among solidarity people

>women utterly BTFO

They should return to the kitchen where they belong

this is a lowkey /pol/ bait thread

Didn't understand any of this but posted it on my facebook so everyone knows I'm a true intellectual.

How can the society of the spectacle even dominate individual life like nigga close your eyes haha

the spectacle that can be spoken of is not the true spectacle

brunette is the smartest. actually eats the food and not take pictures with it.

very misogynistic thread

>women think they can recover from this

They need to breed white children and otherwise just shut the fuck up instead of talking about bags and shoes.

How can one person be this deluded? You're like a living, breathing /pol/ meme.

Me on bottom right

Not an argument

That's because women are stupid so we can't help it.

Is your first post somehow an argument? I'm pretty certain this is bait but if you actually think that I want to know why

Weren't they there for charity and by taking pictures of the, admittedly, silly stuff that they were doing they were raising awareness?

do you really think frogmen would do that?

somebody post the webm with the commentator talking shit

That's what I thought too, she is the ultimate realist.

>own food
>eat it

What? Be retarded? I think you're doing a disservice to retards by equating them with these baboons.

Found it on YouTube:

youtu.be/ngt1JK3DyOU

Who watches an entire baseball game without taking a break?

So they're all taking a break simultaneously, and all doing the exact same thing by some crazy coincidence? Or are they just mindless drones who are glued at their phone constantly, trying to project an image to strangers online while being completely oblivious to the world around them and to themselves?

Have you never been with a group of people in a social setting? Some of them probably decided to take a photo and the others decided to follow and they shared them with their other friends so they can share an experience together. You sound like a fucking sperg.

The point
Your head

based announcers

I was born in the 80s and until camera phones and facebook were invented nobody felt the need to "share experiences" online. People took photos for their own personal albums, or to share with close friends and family. Sharing personal photos with 500+ acquaintances would have been an act of lunacy.

why all of them are fat?

They are doing everything BUT share an experience together.

They're thin/average by American standards.

>or are they just mindless drones who are glued at their phone constantly
yes, see what happens when one of them goes into shock- their natural proclivity now is just to take out their phone and check twitter or whatever the fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=77rKQVZTtFk
there was a video a week or so ago where a girl was streaming on instagram or something while she was driving, crashed the car and killed her younger sister then runs over to her corpse while still streaming the whole thing

found it radaronline.com/videos/teen-livestreams-sister-death-instagram-car-crash/

that's pretty sad given the fact they are really on weight

That picture makes me nauseous

Comms became to easy to control. Only a few BIG ISPs, wireless carriers, phone manufacturers etc.

We've been plugged in and wished well. It's a matter of perspective really. Look at a crowd attached to their phones, then look at the casual polite conversation that used to take place on trains and diners and such back in the 60s-80s...

Ignore the troll.
The motive cannot be to "share an experience". How can an experience be shared, when an experience can only be experienced? The only people you can possibly “share” an experience with are those immediately around you. Not the online personas of people on your phone. When you capture an experience, it becomes a representation of the experience. When you share that representation, it becomes spectacular. Social media has amplified the spectacle to the point that it distances people. They become infatuated with their online persona, and addicted to the buzz they get when it interacts with other online personas. One of the weirdest feelings is to look around a room and realize that every single person has their eyes glued to their phone.

No, this is.

desu I believe this was at a "selfie" themed night at a baseball game

Nice

The worst is with young children that grew up with smartphones and never knew a world without them. They're not trying to refrain slightly from looking at it, or trying to "get back to reality" like adults still do. They have their nose on the screen, completely hypnotized, not even looking one second elsewhere while walking, not saying good morning when their parents do, etc. They are literal slaves to the machines.

I saw this several times in different regions. Add a pair of headphones and it's the full autist show.

based

This poster is a jew trying to make antosemitism seem retarded. He's sitting in his rabbi hut curling his bangs right now.

This is Veeky Forums super wall.
█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█
██████████████████████████████████████████████
█████▀█░████████▀███▀░░▀█░███░░▀███▀░░░▀█▀░░▀█
████░██░███████░████░██░█░█████░███░█████░██░█
███░███░░░████░█████░░░▄█░████░████░██░░█░██░█
██░████░██░██░██████░████░███░█████░███░█░██░█
█▄█████░░░▄█▄███████░████░░░█▄░░███▄░░░▄█▄░░▄█
██████████████████████████████████████████████
Help put up a wall around Veeky Forums to keep /b/ out.

this post itself, and the whole thread for that matter are what Debord meant by ''spectacle'''

There is hardly a thread on the chan that isn't anymore.

>relationshits

Found the virgin

Stop samefagging so hard.

You mean without written language

Yeah otherwise very convenient timing of all these women taking selfies at exactly the same time

More like 'probably' they were doing what was on the fucking screen which is taking an ultimate fan photo for some competition

yes
also related: Preliminary Materials for a Theory of the Young-girl
the young girl is the spectacle manifest

Spectacle is inherently tied to modern conditions of production. Literally read the first line in Society of the Spectacle.

I wonder what will happen in 20-30 years when those children grow up and become the backbone of our society. Social media, video games and other sorts of cheap entertainment will have made a generation of literal autists with severe physical deformations.

most qt out of the group imo

Is this thread a layered spectacle then? We are relating to these people through their imagery of themselves. Truly dark times

>share an experience together
Why?
Just experience the fucking experience, take maybe one photo.
What they're doing is not experiencing the game, just fixated on getting the right picture.

Refuse to watch mayweather v mcgregor on account of not being a part of a spectacle

Kate, you mean 'nauseated'.

how is this related to this thread?
and what movie is it?

There's enough information in the clip to find out for yourself, assuming you know who Keanu Reeves is.

I've always thought that he is an actor :^)

I'm curious to hear your argument for how there'd be no internet if jews didn't exist.

yeah bro, the fact that they make up 11.6% of billionaires even though only 0.2% of the world's population is jewish could only means a chaos of independent actors working for their own interests. i'm sure there's no collusion at all taking place, that's just a silly conspiracy theory

If you want to go that way... White people are less than 20% of the world's population but represent almost 100% of the world's billionaires. Looks like a white conspiracy to me.

Is It The Matrix

>White people are less than 20% of the world's population but represent almost 100% of the world's billionaires

No time to make autistic stats of the world's billionaires, but it's maybe like 80%? For only 17% of the world's population? Conspiracy.

Can someone explain the Spectacle theory in a simple af way? Im watching 'the society of the spectacle' and this shit is blowing my mind. Going to have to watch it at least 3 times to fully grasp the more intricate concepts of it all. Ps, i know its perceived to be more of truth and observational fact than a 'theory' but technically yes, it is a theory. And I have no problem admitting I dont fully grasp IT ALL, since im not a pseudo intellectual like half the cucks on here.

hyperallergic.com/313435/an-illustrated-guide-to-guy-debords-the-society-of-the-spectacle/
maybe this will help

I turned off the documentart because of how badly done the subtitles were (one phrase at a time instead of complete sentences), which made it even harder to follow. I'm just going to read the book instead.

Are women evil?
Asking seriously.
There is absolutely nothing appealing about this picture and let's get real this picture is not an aberration.

Legend. Thanks dude

There is something really disturbing about how young kids interact with social media.

I was babysitting my sister's brood last weekend and my niece (3rd grade) was sitting on the couch watching youtube on the TV.

She was subscribed to another young girl who makes "horror" videos. She does challenges like saying Bloody Mary in the mirror, stuff a lot of us can probably remember doing, except she's been prompted by her parents or whatever to script the whole thing and there isn't an ounce of horror in any of it.
In fact it's entirely absurd because she pretends to be afraid and then in the middle of the whole ordeal suddenly starts reminding the viewer to subscribe and like. It's defies all human emotion and the rules of make believe, it doesn't even make sense.

The worst one I saw, the set-up was that "ghost girl" was going to snapchat her at 3 AM.
It happened and she pretended to be afraid while looking at her phone and the ghost girl just sitting there on the other end in a normal looking room. Melodramatic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Maybe I'm making too much out of nothing but I literally think this kind of contextualization (or lack of) is somehow destructive. If I was smarter I would be able to articulate why but there's definitely something very wrong with it.

In some sense you can't blame them since the ability to project an image like this has never been felt with such power.
It's essentially a direct manifestation of the will. These whores are black holes that will engulf everything.

>sending a photo of something to someone is equivalent to them being there and "sharing the experience"
This ride, I want off it

I get what you're saying and completely agree

What is exactly the problem, again?

It's destructive because it is - as Baudrillard would say - a simulacra. A simulacra represents nothing but its own image, it has no superior meaning, no other idea behind it. When that bitch reminds you to suscribe to her channel in the midst of what is supposed to be a frightful moment, you're actually reminded that you're only watching a spectacle, some mindless entertainment.

Link to those videos?

That doesn't quite get at what I was thinking though.
Mindless entertainment is one thing. I'm saying I think she doesn't have the ability to discern between drama and the most abject of melodrama.
Even a child should be able to notice the inconsistencies of a "terrified" person shouting at the conveniently present camera to subscribe and like, because presumably terror is a universal human emotion and any child can consult their experience of it and compare that to what they are seeing represented to them on a screen. But that doesn't appear to be happening.

Here's the Ghost Girl Facetime one.
youtube.com/watch?v=zprAcCYrrT8
Look I get that these things are obviously intended for children but keep in mind that she was watching this on a 72 inch high definition screen with the volume blasted up to max. I wonder if the level of power at which we project images has outpaced our young's ability to appropriately differentiate quality and non-quality, realistic and absurd, content. They just seem to assume that image is content.
Also she put it on specifically to show it to me because she was convinced that it was worth sharing and insisted that I watch like 4 of them before I finally told her we were going outside.

I really don't know what to make of this.

I'm watching it again now and I just noticed that trap beat that randomly drops in while she is incoherently shrieking the set-up for the scenario.
Starting to think this has to be an elaborate meta-commentary on the failure of our society. The fucking trap drop, come the fuck on. There's no way. I don't say this often but I literally just even can't even

Stupidest thing i ever read, and I hate women too. And look, in the very first line it says it was written by a women. Women even suck at hating women.

How so?

I'm pretty sure she cribbed the whole "the individual isn't the basic unit of society the family is" argument from the libertarian thread on mpc

Itt: old man yells at cloud

Itt: cartoon dog mutters "everything is fine" as house goes up in flames