Button for calling server

Why don't restaurants install a button you can press to call up a waitress rather than her checking up on you unnecessarily every 5 minutes?

I have literally never been to a restaurant and had the waitstaff bother me every 5 minutes, ever, in my entire life.

Because it would deprive them of a reason to silently demand tips later for "good service"

>go to japanese curry house
>press pic related
>???
>profit

you probably live in flyover

If it means I'm not going to be harassed constantly throughout my meal, sure, why not.

I imagine it's because having a bell is kind of annoying when you're constantly hearing it go off, then theres also the issue of people abusing it and ringing it all the time, especially children.

Feels like the best system is to just be able to call over a waiter whenever you need it, if you aren't in america the servers don't hover around you for the sake of tips, so you don't really get bothered.

because there is always servers walking the dining room and it's not hard to get ones attention to let your server know you need something.
I remember as a kid, in some restaurants there was a light up board that was hooked up to the kitchen and the cooks could light up numbers. either they were table numbers letting the servers know the table is ready or each server was assigned a number to let them know to go to the kitchen for food

Many japanese restaurants especially izakayas have these. Its not ringing a bell, its your table number coming up at a screen in the kitchen for the waiters to see. Really efficient and great.

Uploading a pic for shits and giggles, but it really is a good system. Really 2017 and this is not more widespread? Not to talk of the touch screen order panels where you just press on the things you want and the waitress comes with them.

This is coming hard to the rest of the world in a few years even though it has been common in japan for decades. Who wants to talk with their waiter? I mean really?

There would be constant fights if this were implemented in america

How do you figure?

We actually have this system in New England now. I'd be surprised as all hell if the rest of the country doesn't have it.

>people abusing it and ringing it all the time, especially children.
this is what would happen. i also think the buttons would break frequently. it's just easier and cheaper for the server to check in occasionally.

Its not ringing you idiot, its your table coming up on a screen. And why would kids be pressing on it constantly with their parents ? Like what is the point? Its a much superior system compared to waitresses going rounds in the shop, like wot?

The touch screens are coming too, you just select the items you need and send the order to the kitchen. One more needless step of interaction with staff eliminated. We live in good times now.

I wonder how that would affect the wages of waiters and waitresses.

Would be the same. Don't really know about america where you are supposedly dependant on tips. I guess it would just go the direction of the rest of the world where you earn laborers hourly wage instead of the tipping system.

Only thing good about the tipping system is for the waiters themselves. Tax evasion and a higher pay at the end of the week than anyone else in the restaurant. Pisses me off.

Is being a waiter a good job in america then? Its really peculiar how the system works.

Depends on the restaurant, but in a lot of cases it can be a decent job.

Interdastings, where I live its just for students and dropouts with the lowest legal pay. There is no tipping.

Entitled faggot servers will bitch and moan on the internet about muh tips so they can make you feel bad and feel like you need to tip more next time you go out to eat.

Not only are bosses required by law to bring you up to min wage if you are shit and can make tips, but very often if you work at a popular chain you will be going home with like 15-20$ an hour wage. GF was a waitress for 4 years and on good nights she'd even make more than me as an IT head.

cant make tips*

Buttons like that are the norm in South Korea.

One more thing they copied from japan. LOL its always true.

>How dare they benchmark something to improve their own quality of service

Some of the shittier tier of chain resturants already have them. You can order drinks/desserts, call your server over, pay the bill right there, etc.

Some of them even have little trivia games on them for the table to play, and apps to shut up your screeching, screen-addicted autistic toddlers.

Waitstaff could be dealing with higher priority shit like taking out food to customers or taking orders. If I was a waiter about ti do something important and a customer pushed that button and had to wait, id lose out on tip or make the customer upset. Especially if its for something stupid.
>Push button
>"Yes maam?"
>Can I get a side of mayo for my fries?
>"Why didnt you say that when I asked if you needed any sauce for your food or anything else in general?"
>Because im stupid and forgot

Fuck you. Im trying to make sales and do my job, not suck your dick because you are stupid.

Might want to change "USA" to "The West" in those filenames.

This. Waiters only hover around you in 3rd world countries where they require tips. What OP is suggesting doesn't happen anywhere in first world countries because the servers get paid a wage and don't rely on hover tips

Some restaurants do. The Korean ones in NYC do, for example.

"hearing it go off." What the fuck now, its not a chime in the kitchen. Modern systems will just light a number in the kitchen so that the staff can go there and take the order.

I really feel like restaurant where you need to get the attention of the waitress are outdated. Why would you want to do that if you could just order everything from a tablet on your table. What is the point? Getting to know your local service industry worker? Or what.

Get fucking tablets in all places and even the most uneducated migrant with no skills can bring you your food. Better yet the kaiten system where a conveyor belt brings you your order eliminating the social contact.

>People will be super smart if you don't have a button system
Fucking moron

Your reply literally doesn't address anything I was talking about, you fucking weeb.

Most will never know the Casa Bonita flag.

"lose out on a tip" With a good system there will be no need for tips, almost no need for waitering staff also.The future is here why are we not implementing it globally?

>living in a 3rd world country where a waiter is a "sales" position and you NEED tips to live. C'mon man, it's only like that in 3rd world shitholes. The rest of us earn a wage with or without buttons.

Nothing pisses me off more when one of you stupid college dropouts forget something and I don't immediately notice, and then I'm sitting there left waiting around for 10 minutes as my food gets cold because I'm not going to eat it without whatever your stupid pea sized brain forgot to write down when I ordered.

Like I stated in they are all greedy fucking scumbags. They aren't "losing" anything. You can't "go negative" as a waiter in a restaurant, you can only go up. Sure the wage fluctuates a bit, but if you are seriously expecting a wage to support your 3k a month studio apartment in San Fran from a highschool job then you are just fucking retarded.

What? When you need the services of a waiter you press the button? No hovering no "not hovering", just pure efficient, high quality off-time from the grind you need at the local service industry place.

Are you saying that I should actually talk to people? Are you crazy that is what I do 70-80hours a week professionally. Get fucking real.

Why don't we get rid of wait staff altogether for low-mid casual dining? They offer nothing to the experience, and I'd rather just get my food and refills at a counter.

Or with the conveyerbelt like in cheap sushi places. They have the order to table option instead of the rotating menu too. Why is that not more widespread?

Costly to start but you don't need any waiting staff almost.

Pic related, like the upper belt will deliver your personalized orders. Just select on the touch screen and the food will come hurling at you after some minutes.

lol flyover

>I'm a classless degenerate
But sure, most of the Midwest has garbage service.

>classless degenerate
*tips*

Applebees has tablets on the table now. I'm not sure if you can order from them, but I know you can pay with credit/ debit from them. Applebees is as close to flyover as you get.

Having a button to press to call up the waitstaff is the norm in the Netherlands and Japan. I have no idea why North America is so behind.

You can't spam the button because it can only go off once in a minute interval per table to prevent abuse. Additionally, they don't make a ringing noise, they just light up the board or device the waiters carry around on their end. Much easier to be notified readily which table is calling you over than to have to peer over and find out who is waving you over every so often.

In first world countries this is common

>why would kids be pressing on it constantly with their parents ?
have you never seen kids before?

I hate these things. I work in a KBBQ place in California. As soon as a customer notices the button they start to spam it. There's no system to prevent them pressing it too much so the little led screen with numbers will just constantly pop up with their number with the loud "BING" noise every time.
I'm not even a server, just a busser. Often times I'll be walking by a table on my to other work and instead of even trying to flag me down they just start jamming on the button thinking it will get my attention.
The little screen only shows the last two button presses so if someone starts jamming on it they bump off the previous table that pressed it, potentially without that first table getting any service.
Never work at a KBBQ place if you arent Korean, you'll get treated like shit by the Korean customers.

Yea their weak as fuck and only shitty parents bring kids they can't control to restaurants

Haven't I seen places where they have a card or something that's red on one side and green on the other?
You leave the green side up if you're alright and the red side up if you want a server?

I'm used to only being asked once after being given my meal. After that it feels like a fucking hassle trying to get someone's attention

Maybe the only restaurant he visits is McDonald's

In Japan we do. It's just common sense.

>t flyover from kansas
time for you to off yourself kiddo

>huuh huuh huuh
>flyover
>huuuh huuh huuh

Go to a good restaurant, nigger.

You're an ugly little piggy.

>This is what Luddites actually believe

>shadman
>shit quality too

They have it in japan and honestly it's genius

Why can't we just flag them down with eye contact and raised hand? Worked fine in Europe when I lived there.

>Not reading the post

The server asked you if you needed any sauce or extras with your food as well as the classic general question, "anything else?"

You forgot something and you arent going to say anything after I bring your food out, too bad. You can wait the 10 minutes after I serve you when i check on you and the food. You had 3 opportunities. When I ask for any extra sauce, when I ask anything els, and when I bring your food out. If your peanut brain and stomach havent asked for what you need to complete your need, fuck you. I have other customers to tend to.

americans will spam the button because they have no manners and that will piss off the staff because they have no self control

this is before japan started making good products and were basically just like china is today

this is the most american idea i've ever heard and In from chicago

That is a thing though.

>t. Child predator ESL teacher

Nips on notice.

went to a barbecue restaurant in japan recently and every table got an ipad mini to order on just by typing the numbers next to things on the menu.

>why would kids behave obnoxiously at a restaurant despite parents existing?

That sounds crazy to me. I lived in Korea for years and pressed the button maybe a dozen times. Certainly they’re ordering something every time they press?

This is annoying and awkward. I’m left waiting for a waiter to happen to walk by, when I want a beer or whatever tucking now.

Then use your legs and walk up to the bar you lazy alcoholic.

Sure that wasn't Chili's?

>shitty parents bring kids they can't control to restaurants
They certainly do.

For the same reason you don’t put Bluetooth speakers and a blender to a cooler

>why would kids be pressing on it constantly with their parents
I see you've never witnessed the sheer apathy of many American parents. They'll let their little brat do anything as long as it leaves them alone

This is why nobody supports giving you regular wages. Your job is to write down orders, bring out food, and sometimes bus tables. Its not hard, stop pretending like you're some gift bestowing deity.

Nah they have them at pancho's, Chilies, and a few other places.

>Your job is to write down orders, bring out food, and sometimes bus tables
You forgot wash all of the dishes, cook the orders, clean the store, bathrooms, and parking lot, prepare the waffle batter and juice for next shift, and stock all of the meats, eggs, and pies.

It's been like seven years since I worked as a waiter and that job was a lot more intensive than what I do now even though I make 30x the pay I made back then.