I feel like Socrates was making a few too many assumptions about the soul here

I feel like Socrates was making a few too many assumptions about the soul here.

Can you elaborate OP?

You mean because he negatively defined it? E.g. the soul is immortal because we were nothing and now we're something so it must balance out back into something (or something like that), etc.?

Are you talking about the dialogue Phaedo?

Written word is a degradation of the spoken word. Worse than the loss of the library of alexandria is the loss of oral traditions. Socrates was an initiate of the mysteries and Plato both preserves and obscures the true meaning as does any scribe or priest (or the modern incarnation: scholars).

So you didn't entirely agree with Socrates, and are now thinking about the topic to come to your own conclusions?
Seems like that exercise and experience could be more valuable than the answer. Funny how that happens.
you just got PLATO'D
Over 2000 years and this fuckers still teaching people before they realize.

Yeah. The whole theory on the soul works on the assumption of an afterlife. Or that just because there's two stages to a lot of things means that life and death are two stages of the same cycle. I also don't really follow the anamnesis idea.

Yes, Socrates

>MUH ALEXANDRIA
Eat shit, idiot. Socrates was a sophist, using rhetoric to convince people of something on the spot. In written form, even a paraphrasing can be properly analyzed

How is the soul even a thing without representation outside of its material substantiation?

Socrates opened the doorway to learning and thinking on your own. If he didn't make a single dumb mistake we'd have 2,500 years of the same boring stuff. I am thankful that knowledge isn't set in stone and I don't have to read Plato all my life

*tips fedora*

He was just trying to keep the logos alive senpai

don't think about it too much

I think he is the culmination of thought in similar vein as Christ is the culmination of life. They changed the paradigm so that no life and no thought was the same.
Christ will come back. Wonder if Nietzsche is the new Socrates?

No I am.

The afterlife is the pragmatic justification for Plato's doctrines. I don't remember where (I've read it in an excerpt in uni, I'll search it later), but Plato needed it to justify his teachings to those people who were nihilist and cynic. All the talks about virtue have social relevance (instead of merely individual) only once there is an actual motivation for acting according to virtue and reason, and that motivation was God (read what Aristotle had to say about Plato's God, for Plato never wrote down the actual philosophy that was being tautht in the academy: the dialogues are only meant to be used to remember those teachings) and the afterlife.

MUH SOCIAL UTILITY
fuck off

It's literally true. Read more.

Dude that's written on virtually every preface of Plato's dialogues, and it has been so for thousands of years. This is common knolwege, you retarded, romantic LARPer.

Nah brah. 1) Afterlife myths aren't literally true, nor were they intended to be; that take misses the diaectical purpose of the myths within the dialogues. In most cases, the myths offer a poetic account for subjects that have difficulty actually fitting together, and they highlight that problem instead of solving it.

Check yo Benardete, bish

This guy's right. If you want to understand any of Plato's dialogues read the Phaedrus and pay attention to what he says there about writing