Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was...

>Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo

i got JOYCED

that's the whole gimmick of portrait

The lecturer for my very first english unit at uni read this out to the class at the start of the first intro lecture. The class was mainly education students who had to do it to get their cushy teaching jobs and weren't impressed (most said their favourite novels were harry potter or some YA shit, I wasnt much better as I said american psycho). She told us we would learn to love Joyce, and I do.

I couldn't get past the first page.

How come every person I've ever met going to college to become a teacher is a complete and utter fucking imbecile?

They're all Greek. They don't read. They party harder than anyone. They don't know a goddamn thing about anything, but worse, they don't want to either.

I had some good teachers in middle and high school, but now I fear for the next generation that'll be taught by these shallow, ditzy blondes and lax bros.

I had a guy, studying to be an English teacher, say that he didn't finish the great gatsby because it was too complicated and boring

Srsly
When I went to school my philosophy teacher was an old strict dude who knew french latin and archaic greek, a year later the new guarde came in, the "there are no false answers" and "lets do some group Work" crowd
When I imagine that current pupils have these cunts exclusively I honestly pity them

That's infuriating. He needs to be expelled from his institution.

>9872982
Its been happening for a long time here in Australia, the courses are too easy amd the government incentives are too good.

>9873054

Kek

Why does he capitalize his Nouns? He is not consistent at doing it but very regularly he does.

He doesn't capitalize it there because it's a story being told to baby Dedalus by his dad. The writing in Portrait progresses as Dedalus ages.

I'm studying to become an English teacher so I can get out of my country, and yeah some people tend to be pretty bad

Where are you studying and from what country?

most people become teachers for the 3 months of vacation and pension

Sweden, Sweden
Had originally planned to stay in one place for a year or two and then go somewhere else

>They're all Greek
>ditzy blondes
WE

So basically you want to become a sexpat in East Asia?

They're called normalfags. If you want serious students you won't find them outside their room.

>this is the pinnacle of Irish literature

That's what a diet of potatoes and beer does to a country.

No I have a girlfriend now

It's actually the pinnacle of all literature, not just Irish. If you cannot see the genius in Portrait you are never going to make it.

I absolutely hate every education major I've ever met. I had to take a grammar class and out of the thirty students only three were real English majors. I was the only man and these dumb bimbos didn't understand the difference between the normative and accusative. The entire class was them trying to get answers out of me for the homework. Education majors are by far the worst students in University.

I see you swallowed the potato whole.

Amen. Same experience. It's a catastrophe. It's the new MRS degree. "I'm gonna major in, like, education, and like, teach kids and stuff, okaaaaaay?"

The American experiment is dying.

>normative
seems like you didn't understand it either