QTDDTOT

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread.

What is a good book about the history of ancient Greece, like Beard's SPQR is for Rome?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dance_to_the_Music_of_Time
amzn.com/0199535663
amazon.com/dp/B01M7S2Z0R
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is "Midnight in Paris" the most Veeky Forums movie?
Not that it is the movie we'd hope our work would be turned into when turned into film or that it was the most inspiring interpretation of any literary work, But the Owen Wilson character's obsession with literature, escaping this void, Caine world he lives in and personally reliving 20s golden age literary Paris in such a corny, cheesy and frankly poorly written way.

>Also he ends up with french literary qt which is dope

There is this book I'm trying to find (really several books) with several volumes, it's supposed to be one of the biggest books ever written, the cover art is a classical painting split into the different volumes, it's a depiction of some sort of party, feast, or dance. Does it ring any bells?

In Search of Lost Time?

no it's not Proust.

I think I know what you're talking about, I remember reading the Wikipedia page about a book that match those criteria. I'll keep searching.

As long as the title is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland I'm getting the UK version and not the butchered American version, correct?

I haven't read SPQR but a good history book on ancient Greece is a history of Greece to the death of Alexander the great by J.B. Bury

Here, is that it user? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dance_to_the_Music_of_Time

Thank you, man. Gonna check that out.

What's the best translation of Herodotus's The Histories?

This one I guess:

amzn.com/0199535663

Is it unabridged?

Silmarillion worth reading?

Any good books about drug abuse/abuse or musicians?

Looks like it, yeah.

I like the landmark ancient history books

how accurate is this user

What happened to memoir user? Did he ever publish?

I'm looking for a specific edition of The Brothers Karamazov, and I need to obtain it before Monday. The publisher is Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Do you think any local bookseller might have this? There's no time to order one, so I'll have to find one in person.

Landmark is OK but I like a good cheap Selincourt better for translation + convenient size

I like the Landmark a lot for things where maps are helpful, like Arrian and Thucydides, but with Herodotus it's not super necessary if you have basic familiarity with Mediterranean geography, and the translation (IMHO) is inferior to Selincourt.

No. Those are some cool recommendations but he misses a bunch, like Machen and Bulwer-Lytton, and Lovecraft is just as good as any of them, often better.

>Silmarillion worth reading?
If you like Tolkien and mythology you'll call it his best work.

Does bible translation matter? Should I bother reading old testament? Anything else I should know?

just read NSRV. better to read NSRV in 10 hours, and then read KJV a year later in 10 hours, then to spend 500 hours forcing yourself to read KJV and giving up because it's miserable.

yes but read the four gospels first. the OT isn't as bad as it looks, because it's divided up into a lot of chunks that can be tackled individually and enjoyably and that have varying levels of literary significance. it's not a single 1000 page narrative. you can easily just read like, genesis, exodus, numbers, some of the major prophets, daniel, and job, and then whatever else interests you.

most important thing is to get it out of your head that it's a single contiguous block of 1000 pages you need to read and absorb in sequence. it's a lot of things, and only some of them are in sequence at all. don't let leviticus scare you off reading daniel.

>What is a good book about the history of ancient Greece, like Beard's SPQR is for Rome?
SPQR isnt a particularly good roman history book, but as to the question The Classical World by R Lane Fox starts with the Greeks and segues into the Romans. If you are going into Greek history from scratch try Athens on 5 Obles a day (think thats what its called). Simple little books like this are a wealth of reference for further reading with regards to their content.

yes, yes, read the new oxford annotated bible with apocrypha

Is there a word that describe something like this?

Person A tells me person B is a psychopath, but I've never seen person B. Now person A shoes me a photograph of person B, and I somehow think that even if I hadn't been told person B was a psychopath, I would have known still because of their eyes, or whatever.

Like, my perception has totally been changed because I've been told person B was a psychopath. Not a déjà vu, but I'm pretty sure the word exists. English is not my mother tongue, sorry.

journalism

kek, you made me check in case there was a definition I was not aware of.

Sounds like confirmation bias.

I can't stop thinking about the tight pussy lips of John Greens wife.. like two pieces of leather attached to a vice.

any books for this feel?

Well I'll have to read the wikipedia article completely but it sounds like it's in reverse somehow. Still I think that might be right.
I'm wondering also if I'm not trying to put have one definition for two different things in this case: the fact that my perception has been changed, and the fact that I have no idea if my opinion would have been the same if I hadn't been told the truth.

>put have
>shoes instead of shows previously
Ok I need to sleep.

Is it a logical fallacy to argue by pointing out the logical fallacies of your opponent?

KJV. NSRV and other modern editions are goy bibles.

I got a question.

What is the difference between Watchmen comics and graphic novel?
I thought Watchmen was one long graphic novel and not several comic issues

Also, is it any good?

wrong board nerd

What Russian classics should I read before reading The Gift by Nabokov?

I'm studying and it's fucking up my enjoyment of reading.

When I'm on break I love reading as much as I can. However, when class is on I can't seem to do it. I have the spare time, but I sabotage myself.
I'll tell myself "no time to sit down and read X, I need to read Y for class or work on that essay" So instead I'll watch a 20-minute youtube video or watch an episode of whatever my housemate has on the TV or play a videogame then study.
It's not a matter of enjoyment. When I have nothing else to do I'll read all day. It's some kind of fallacy in my own head that I can't outsmart. I could read for that total time I spent doing bullshit and get through many more books but if I try to sit down and read for enjoyment I get antsy and half ass some study material for 30 minutes instead then play some autistic grand strategy and listen to a podcast for a 'quick break'.

Half venting, half looking for anyone in a similar position with tips.

That's the one, thanks user. I wonder if anyone here has looked into it?

Lovecraft, like any other writer, was influenced by, GASP! other writers, can yall believe it?

Was it okay to like little girls in the 19th Century?

Any books witch involve occult themes, maybe middle England\Early America that aren't Lovecraft or Poe? Something similar to the film The Witch?

he was doing research for his work. he researched them real good.

"The Occult" by colin wilson

trust me on this one, just read it and thank me later

i got miller's black spring for cheap at a used bookstore and just found out its part of a trilogy. do i have to read tropic of cancer first to understand black spring?

How shit is Crowley?

Best Rilke translator (specifically Duino elegies?)
I asked elsewhere but didn't get an answer.
I'm looking at buying the Stephen Mitchell translation, is that acceptable? Is there a better one?

Can absolutely second this.

I'm surprised Colin Wilson isn't discussed on Veeky Forums more often. He seems to embody a good deal of the board's common topics (literary lifestyle, literary criticism, philosophy, occultism, being too clever for the rest of the world).

Great! I'll be sure to look for this!

very

Thank you for the advice friends!

Veeky Forums seems to read less and less these days.
Have you brought him to their attention with a specific thread?

Occultism is shit. This is like asking if Nightmare on Elm Street is any good. It's all in how you take it.
Why they call movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space a *cult* classic. Of course it's shit.

Oops.
>Occultism is shit. This is like asking if Nightmare on Elm Street is any good. It's all in how you take it.
>Why they call movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space a *cult* classic. Of course it's shit.

Recommend me some entry level poetry. Classics only please (preferably English).

Dickinson and Whitman.

Some specific books, poems?

No.

Get an anthology and find out what you like. Pls don't encourage tripfags by responding to them.

I unironically don't know what's wrong with asking a recommendation of specific book. Board complains how most of people visiting it don't read poetry at all, then proceeds to not recommend anything.

>Get an anthology and find out what you like.
Yes, but what anthology?
>Pls don't encourage tripfags by responding to them.
Absolutely no idea what this means.

Read the sticky
Lurk for 2 more years

Leaves of Grass of Grass is an anthology.

Any publication, comprehensive or just some thing you find in your library or online. Read and see if you like it.

Hello, I'm from Veeky Forums and I love settings in post-apocalyptic world. I was wondering is any of you knew if there was books centered over religion and sects in a post-apo setting.

Could you recommend me books based in an unconventional post-apocalyptic world?

>No. Those are some cool recommendations but he misses a bunch, like Machen and Bulwer-Lytton, and Lovecraft is just as good as any of them, often better.
it was a /v/ thread about Bloodborne, /v/ anons are rife with contrarianism. and thanks for the additional recs

>convenient size
What do you mean by this? Size of the book? or are you saying that it's abridged? Cause I don't want something abridged.

this queer ass nigga looks tasty.

Canticle for leibowitz

>religious cult obsessed with old world technology

Well I've got a post-apocalyptic series.

Living amongst the Dead (aka LatD)
>Feminism
>Rape

LatD: Dark Days
>BLM
>Racism/violence towards white people
>Homosexuailty
>Lesbian rape
>Lightly touches on Christianity

LatD: On the Road Again
>Racism in general
>Cannibalism
>Natives

LatD: Struggles New and Old
>More on racism against whites
>Violence against whites
>Mucks with the 4th wall a little bit (or perhaps more meta? References the zombie genre)
>References George A Romero (A bit odd, since the book finished basically the day he died, before I found out)
>Islam is addressed (Also includes the process of Wudu which is a sort of lesser religious washing before prayer)

Working on the 5th one, not yet sure on the title
>A bit more about Islam
>An example of how some people are managing to make sort of a decent life for themselves
>Dealing with pregnancy in a post-apocalyptic setting

The series in general includes...
>Emphasis on realism
>Emphasis on survivalism
>Will likely be including more on religion
>Dealing with various social issues (as mentioned above)
>Reloading ammunition
>Not starving to death or suffering dehydration
>Travel
>Focus on day-to-day struggles (The whole series (including what I've written of book 5) covers basically around 3 weeks or so)

I dunno if that's the kind of religious-centered post-apoc setting you're after, but thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. The first in the series is only $0.99 USD with the sequels being $2.99 USD each for the ebooks, meanwhile all paperbacks are $8.99-9.99 USD. As for unconventional, it's set in Canada and the firearms included are ones that are most popular/available in this country. An Aussie reader that I chat with relatively frequently found it to be a very refreshing change from the ones set in America, he finds it annoying that it seems everyone is running around with M4s or AKs and a thousand rounds of ammunition strapped to them.

amazon.com/dp/B01M7S2Z0R

Could anyone recommend a translator of Schiller?

weird I have the opposite problem where studying/working makes me more motivated in general than I am on breaks. Granted I am a STEMfag so reading is a nice change of pace

Does anyone know any international furniture shipping company? I need a bookcase.

Is it looked down upon to just tell a story without trying to cram a bunch of literary flourishes into the prose that I would never use in real life? I find myself writing a lot of "this happened. Then this happened. Character did this. Character did that." And I'm fine with it, but I'm not sure how publishers or readers feel about the no frills style.

Bumpo

Bumpü

The only problem with that is that you're not using language as much as you could. I'd say you reflect on what you want and don't want and what you need in order to tell the story effectively. This doesn't mean purple prose, but there's no reason why you couldn't use more complicated sentences for better delivery.

Read Hemingway, especially The Sun Also Rises.
Bloom says roughly "no work has practiced language with such a economy and grace"
as in, shit's tight as fuck
The Road is probably the extreme of minimalist usage.

The Fox book seems to be just what I wanted. Thanks a lot, user.

what is the "jewish question" people keep talking about on Veeky Forums?

Jews own the world kiddo, do you need a quick rundown?

i guess. how do they own the world?

Reading the bible is not really for entertainment purposes user.
But the old testament is definitely more fun than the new one.

I received this book from a christian friend.
Is it worth reading?

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks!

>it annoying that it seems everyone is running around with M4s or AKs and a thousand rounds of ammunition strapped to them.
I'm in! The overall sounds really good, also thanks for the link. I'll make sure to check these out.

Thanks a lot for the support, if you get it I hope you like it! The 5th in the series should be out within the week! A warning ahead of time though; I go a bit sex-heavy in that first instalment, but things begin slowing down quickly in terms of sex as the series progresses, though I don't think sexual aspects will ever be completely removed from any of the books, I kinda doubt it. Also, I think the series will end up being 30+ books when all is said and done. I've got a lot of things in mind.

is there a book like "mythology" for ancient egypt?

The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt Hardcover by Richard H. Wilkinson

pretty pynch that one

It's not Veeky Forums, but look up the Leftovers. Great TV series.

thank you user