What are Veeky Forums's thoughts of Thomas Merton? His Christian work and his work in the east

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts of Thomas Merton? His Christian work and his work in the east.

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/can-you-trust-thomas-merton
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I haven't read much by him, but I like the man. I find it inspiring how he changed his life.

Seven Storey Mountain has been on my list for a while.

I like his anti-poetry. mutli-volta, nice rhythm, you should check it out. would you recommend his translation of the tao?

I think that you are a despicable person, Wolfsheim, and if your intention is to ruin my life I'll gladly ruin yours too, if that's what it takes to live or die with some dignity. Do what you will, but know that you already killed who I once was: you now contend with what you've created.

I had a professor who taught philosophy of religion who brought up Merton a few times if I recall.

I have not read his translation but after going through his Mystics and Zen Masters and seeing the fantastic attention to detail and respect given in the cross cultural examination I'd have nothing but optimism in the translation being very accurate.

I've read his book on contemplative prayer. It was pretty good. The relationship to Eastern mythology was very strong. I'm not so sure about the doctrinal accuracy of his work.

>Meyer Wolfshiem, the man who fixed the 1919 World Series

I get it. And the hour of reckoning is clearly here. All those years I waited, without knowing. Thank God in all his glory that the veil was torn from my eyes, allowing me to strike back in my death rattle.

Nine times the space that measures day and night
To mortal men, he with his horrid crew
Lay vanquished, rolling in the fiery gulf
Confounded though immortal: but his doom
Reserved him to more wrath; for now the thought Both of lost happiness and lasting pain Torments him;
round he throws his baleful eyes
That witnessed huge affliction and dismay
Mixed with obdurate pride and steadfast hate

I remember sitting in the cafeteria listening to "sympathy for the devil", and certain people would walk by... walk on by...

Wolfshiem. I'm not after fame and fortune. I'm after you.

>Only "Christian" whose works are published by New Directions

Hmm...

He's entirely orthodox in his teaching and application of Christian thought.

bump

I have his book "the Seven story mountain", didn't read it yet. I'm skeptical of people trying to approach eastern spirituality, is he yet another heretic?

He was a manifest heretic for the entire later part of his life and his orthodox part is so narcissistic I will never understand how it is considered to be a Catholic spiritual classic.

Yes, but not during that period of his life.

Could you elaborate please? So he only went full new age later and this book is in line with the teachings?

What about the narcissism comment here ?

He left his kid to find spiritual peace and left him with someone else, instead of taking responsibility for getting a young girl pregnant.
catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/can-you-trust-thomas-merton

This was informative, thank you user.

>He left his kid to find spiritual peace

He left his kid well before he became Catholic, let alone a monk.

A religion whose central text tells you that he who has not sinned can cast the first stone, a religion that emphasizes forgiving others' sins even while acknowledging that they are sins, that emphasizes that people that people can have grace and goodness in them even if imperfect, and of course, like a blind cunt, in the very situation when you should act as Christianity enjoins you --- you don't.

>"No, no, that's for other situations! I'm only supposed to not judge people and forgive their sins in THAT situation, not THIS one!"

How blind are you? How superior does it make you feel, you hypocrite, to criticize the mote in another's eye?

>Cathocuck
>orthodox

kek

My mistake. I was under the impression it happened in a shorter period of time.

So would your logic of avoiding judgement apply to you as well in this situation, or only to me, a blind cunt?

Ah, of course you even turn it to benefit yourself, you hypocrite. By this logic, then, Jesus isn't allowed to criticize others for judging unfairly either? I don't say what I say to judge you, but to admonish and call you to your senses.

You are doing the exact same thing I was, assessing a situation passing a simple value judgment. And your judgment is that because I see Merton in a negative light, am a hypocritical dumb cunt. Which is seeing a thorn in my eye. You aren't calling me to my senses because you can't be stupid enough to believe that insulting people on an anonymous image board will do anything. You are simply asserting your own moral superiority, because you are exempt from the rule you impose, which is that one should never comment on the state of soul of others.