Should I learn Hebrew or Arabic?

Should I learn Hebrew or Arabic?

Urdu

Farsi

I wanted to study Arabic, but instead opted for French and German. These languages are more related to my mother-tongue, thus making it easier and less time consuming to study - Compared to Arabic, which would require massive amounts of time and effort to adapt to. Plus, Arabic is a highly diverse language, without any real unity between the various dialects. I would be more willing to invest the required time if the Arab world was linguistically unified.

Aramaic

I recommend Arabic for carrers and practicality, and Hebrew for culture. Your choice based on what interests you.

Learning Arabic makes learning Farsi mostly easy but be prepared for spending time in countries that speak those languages while studying. I recommend 4 years college for the first and 2 for the other if you can. I learned Farsi but honestly wish I had leaned Arabic first, it's much easier to get material for and has had greater applications in my life, but even though I'm extremely open minded to traveling to places like Jordan etc, It was mostly unpleasant. (I'm an American but damn if I don't love me some third world)

Good luck, and torrent your books and programs for learning. Don't spend much on it if you can't help. Spend less money, spend more time as I say.

This as well. Not much practically for Hebrew goim

Not unless you have a good reason. There are many other languages a Veeky Forumsfag should prioritize ahead of those.

When it comes to Arabic, you have to learn two languages, the written language and a spoken variant because speaking the written language in daily life is ridiculous. Also, learning Arabic means you can't avoid being knee-deep in Muslim mythology all the time because it's culturally everpresent.

With regard to Hebrew, the modern language won't enable you to automatically read older variants of Hebrew. Modern Hebrew is not purely Semitic.

In my opinion, you ought to have a clear reason in your mind to learn one of these languages before spending hundreds of hours on them just to get on the horse.

Not unless you've mastered Latin and/or Greek.

You could do it if you wanted to get $$$ from those places, but if you have to go mercenary, that precludes the justification of why you should learn one language over another.

>one used by one used by 400m people
Decisions, decisions.

Though if you have to ask others, you're doing it wrong either way and probably won't amount to much.

arabic.

You should learn whatever that man speaks.

Unironically, no.

Arabic. There's more of everything in Arabic: literarure, philosophy, theology, folklore, poetry, mysticism. Hebrew doesn't have much to offer.

What would you recommend? I'm currently taking on Russian and trying to polish up my Korean and Japanese. Have a small hankering to learn French though.

Of the two? Arabic. Like Spanish, it's too common a language to ignore.

But before that, I'd probably learn Farsi.

No.

if you don't look like David Gandy, don't bother learning those languages

people will think you're overcompensating and either trying to score jewish or muslim qts

The only languages that will exist in a decade are English and Mandarin, so you should learn one of those.

You gotta learn hebrew to really grok kaballah so there's that.

itt: trigger everyone

Both are "useless" from a materialist, capitalist standpoint. Yes, Arabic has many native speakers, but even the dumbest Arabs speak functional English (or French), and the rich important ones are all fluent.

Hebrew scripture is more directly influential in Western history, and the West is the most influential region in the modern world. Hebrew is also the only dead language to be revived on a national scale.

Arabic is associated with Islam (obviously) and Islam is just an offshoot of Judaism.

I've heard from people who know that Arabic grammar is harder than Hebrew.

Any educated Westerner should know at least French and Latin, and preferably German and Greek, before tackling any other language.

TL;DR Start with Hebrew.

You'd need to know Arabic to fully understand Persian anyway, though.

>Modern Hebrew is not purely Semitic
I've heard this said before, can someone elaborate? Obviously there are loanwords from non-Semitic languages, but does it go deep into the grammar and syntax as well?

Russian is far more relevant than Mandarin.

China is just a U.S. factory, they're not some independent superpower boogieman like the media wants you to think.

>You'd need to know Arabic to fully understand Persian anyway, though.
It's a completely different language, m8.
You can learn Farsi and Dari just fine without knowing any Arabic.
>And Farsi is way more aesthetic desu

The majority of the Persian technical and religious lexicon is Arabic.

It's the same way all educated English speakers know French, Latin, and Greek.

China is gonna be Japan 2.0 soon, while Russia will continue to decline (unless it somehow magically manages to establish proper leadership, that isn't obsessed with being a military superpower).

Yes, if you want to move to Iran of Afghanistan and build a life, you might want to know some Arabic.

If you, however, are just mildly interested in the (pre-Muslim) culture, like the language and want to flirt with Persian chicks: No Arabic required.

>russia is trying to take over da world
>putin isn't a proper leader
Why is it so fucking hard to have a platform or conversation about the arts without being overrun by liberals?

And China is too culturally barren after all the communist and American influence to ever really advance. The people can barely drive.

lmao brainlet

Yea I agree with the China point. They can't pull through because the country is pretty much too large. The new generations also being pretty removed from their history and culture makes them weaker on both unified fronts as well as in the international stage.

>China is gonna be Japan 2.0 soon

This is true, but not in the way you meant it.

>russia is trying to take over da world
No, Putin is obsessed with being weaker than NATO. Which he himself can't stop fucking talking about in literally every interview. (Why do you think he has been pandering to Erdoscum?)
And he has been running the economy into the ground. So much so, that a dude even further right than him has popped up for the coming elections (who is somehow surviving the countless imprisonments and """accidents""").
His only political card right now is security. His constant economy-propaganda and unfulfilled promises about stuff like agriculture just don't convince anyone anymore. And they all know he is a crook.
Learn your global occurrences.

>And China is too culturally barren after all the communist and American influence to ever really advance. The people can barely drive.
>confirmed for never having been in China
They main problem is dealing with the huge bubble the growing middle class is creating. But this is not surprising. Most prominent economists (who have been advising the Chinese government and teaching leading businessmen) assume there will be at least one financial crash. Other than that, it behaves exactly like post-war Japan, just faster. At some point that will obviously stagnate and they'll have to make sure not to turn into India2.0, which is unlikely tho. They've been taking full advantage of stuff like the H1B and are already establishing their own tech industries, while establishing connections to East-Africa to have their own outsourced cheap labor ready and running when the time comes.

As for culture: The only Chinese who are detached from their culture are Han Chinese. The other ethnicities are very much connected. And while I like how industrious and pragmatic the Han are, you couldn't make them enjoy a walk through a forest if their life depended on it. That worries me.

the back of the language, that is the grammatical structure and non-modern vocabulary, is entirely ancient hebrew. The one difference is it's been simplified -- a lot of ways you could make sentences in ancient hebrew simply don't exist in modern hebrew, to the benefit of a standardized structure in each situation, as for other vernaculars.

meant: backbone

Your welcome

I am a native Hebrew speaker and I also studied Arabic (Written and spoken dialect).
The daily Hebrew we speak in Israel is not sufficient to understand old texts. Likewise, learning old Hebrew will not allow you to converse with people in Israel (although it'll give you a good base).
Arabic is more widely used and spoken, and security and intelligence bureaus might want you for that, I don't know. Arabic syntax and conjuration seemed to me more logical and less arbitrary than Hebrew, but then again, it's different when you learn a language as a grown up in a technical way, so I might be wrong.
There is a big difference between written Arabic and the various dialects (I believe a Palestinian couldn't get along with his dialect alone in, say, Morocco), bigger than the difference between old Hebrew and nowadays Hebrew. Arabic vocabulary is also a lot more substantial.
I really love Hebrew, and enjoy reading it. But if I were you, I guess I'd pick Arabic.