Hello Veeky Forums, I am very sick and require soup, but hate that canned shit...

Hello Veeky Forums, I am very sick and require soup, but hate that canned shit. Know any good recipes with ingredients that can be obtained from Walmart? (I don't have any actual grocers here and that's my only option)

Post yfw there are actually people who get "food" from Walmart.

Roast (2 28 oz) canned whole tomatoes at 400 for 30 minutes or so on a sheet tray lined with parchment.

Saute some onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add about 1 cup of grated or finely chopped carrots and 1/2 cup celery if desired.

Add a bay leaf if you want.

Add tomatoes and 1 cup chicken broth and let it simmer for an hour or more.

Puree it in a blender or with an immersion blender, and add some fresh basil and/or cream at the end.

>implying i actually have a choice

What do you want him to do?

Just get a carton of tomato soup. Fry some garlic and onions to add to it, and eat with a grilled cheese or toast. Tomato soup is best soup.

That’s a lame excuse. If there’s a Walmart, there’s bound to be other stores close by. Post gps of your Walmart.

I'm not going to dox myself when I know exactly how many stores there are that sell ingredients in the area. There is a Super 1 and a Walmart, and the Walmart sells more shit than the Super 1. Fuck off.

The carton stuff is awful. After making fresh you will never go back.

I gave you a recipe go and fucking buy shit.

Its the same shit you get at any grocery store. Stop trying so hard.

Chicken and potato soup

>1 whole chicken
>1.5 cup chopped celery, onion, carrot
>1 cup of chopped green onion
>parsely (garnish)
>2 cups chopped red/white potato
>salt, pepper, sage to taste (or oregano, rosemary)
>1 clove of garlic
>1 Habanero (can reduce or skip if you don't like heat)

1. Rinse off the whole chicken and set the giblets aside.
2. In a large stock pot, place the chicken inside and fill with cold water until chicken is covered by at least 2 inches of water, then remove chicken and set aside.
3. Bring water to a boil.
4. Add chicken to boiling water and turn heat down to the lowest setting on the stove. Wait 30 minutes.
5. Pull out chicken and strip all the meat and set aside. Toss bones and carcass back in the pot and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for at least 3 hours while removing scum that forms on surface.
6. After 3 hours, remove bones, strain broth, put it back in the pot and bring to a simmer.
7. Chop potatoes and toss them in the pot to simmer.
8. Chop mirepoix of celery onion and carrot and saute in pan with garlic and pepper until sweated, then toss in the pot.
9. When the potatoes are tender, turn down the heat to low, add chicken, chopped green onion, parsley, and season as needed. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes so the chicken heats up, and serve as needed.

I have no blender nor can I afford one

Immersion blenders start at 20 dollars on Amazon. You can get one in the future. Buying tomato puree is fine for now but your veggies are going to have texture so chop them finely.

>this moron doesn't realize that WalMart entered the grocery store market years ago

okay here's what I do when I'm making chicken soup.

Ingredients:
- Cut 1 onion,3/4 piece of garlic,a thumb-size of ginger, 1 chilly
- Now you need some spices. In my place we got this one packet complete spices. If you don't have it, the ingredients are ;
- blackpaper, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, cinnamon. (just put each of these like 2 pinch is enough)
- and one chicken cube (or chicken stock if you have it)
-chicken and potato (amount as you wish)
Step:
- heat the pot and put oil
-medium heat
- put all the ingredients except chicken and potato
- stir for about 4-5 minutes,then insert water just enough to let the chicken and potato sink later on
- high heat
- stir for about 4 minutes, then put chicken
- let it boil
- put seasoning as you like ( salt sugar etc)
- put potato that you have cut small
- medium heat
- when the potato is fully cooked( easy to mushed ), your soup is ready :D
- you may eat it with rice or pasta or just like that

enjoy

It's totally fine, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a russet at Walmart and one from any other store.

What country are you from?

>very sick
>willing to cook from scratch
ok

I was too going to post a roasted tomato soup but you already did. Buy, why canned tomatoes, though?
Also, I like roasting the tomatoes alongside the garlic and onion, and I add olive oil and vinegar while roasting. Since my beaner brain can't eat anything that is not spicy I also add some diced toasted dried california chilies before serving

Because it is winter and fresh tomatoes from Walmart are going to suck.

Canned tomatoes are almost always better than fresh because they can be picked when actually ripe. Fresh tomatoes are picked underripe and then artificially ripened so they can survive the trip to the grocery store.

So if I can find good fresh tomatoes I use them, when not I use canned, ok
The climate here is a bit different and we get tomatoes all year round. On the other hand, I have only found one place that sells canned tomatoes

Southeastasia

throw that bagged frozen spinach in everything

Any meat plus some vegetables, and you have soup. Making (some) soup is easiest thing to cook. Making good soup is not that easy however.

Why not just move to a less shithole part of the country?

>Why not just up and leave all of your family and friends just so you can have access to bougie grocery stores?
Believe it or not, there are still people in this country who value their families more than their own hedonism.

Don't let your family drag you down. If they are holding you back, fuck em. You will make new friends, anybody willing to live in a shithole isn't worth knowing in any case.

All this fucking about just buy a tin of soup you ponce

If that's where they live, your family is trash. Why are you so attached to trash?

Roast whole chicken. Salt, pepper, butter under skin, rub with garlic and stuff inside with whole onion (skinned obviously), 2-3 peeled carrots, 3-4 stalks of chopped celery.

Roast until internal temp is correct. Let cool and peel off skin, hand mince meat, reserve carcass and skin. Cover non-edible remains with water (including stuffed veggies), reduce for 2 or so hours, I usually add a little salt and pepper, but I like things salty.

While broth is reducing, prepare some some veggies of your choice, I generally go with a couple jalapenos (a habanero for a touch more spice), thickly cut tomatoes, couple carrots, rice/potatoes/egg noodles or whatever starch you choose, squash and white beans and depending on the mood and some fresh basil.

Hearty, versatile and goes down easy.

When I am sick, I reach for the box of matzo ball mix in the kosher section. Add an egg and a tsp of neutral tasting vegetable oil and cold water to make the balls. Simmer in chicken stock. For chicken stock, you can buy it in the box and jack it up with addins, or you can simmer chicken on the bone with celery, onion, carrot, parsley, and use that. Bone broth has the goodness you want, and there are brands available in store now too. You'll know which one it is, based on price tag. I like a pinch of dill on top of my matzo ball soup, and I serve with bread, butter, or little rolls.

A quick soup is lentil. Sweat a little minced celery, onion, carrot with a bay leaf. Add lentils and stock and cook until awesome, not even 15 minutes will work. Split pea or northern bean is another great bean soup, or 15 bean in the bag, and they take a little ham steak well if you don't ant to mess with hocks and crock pot all day. Brighten it up at the end with a squeeze of fresh lemon (vit c!).

French onion with a floater of swiss/parm/mozz on french bread toast isn't difficult w/ beef or chicken stock, lovingly cooked yellow onions (mucous buster), parsley, splash of sherry or wine.

A pork loin roast rubbed with chinese bbq can go into attempts to make fresh noodle asian soups. Or you can stuff won ton wrappers with processor minced pork, ginger, scallion, cabbage. Drop into swanson's thai broth that has a lovely lemongrass flavor. You can "egg drop" the soup with a slurry of scrambled eggs put into the stock in motion. A corn starch thickened soup aids the ribbons.

Another eggy sick person's soup that is supereasy is Greek style avgolemono with lots of egg yolk and lemons, and comfy rice. Italian stracciatella is another amazing sick soup with lots of greens, garlic, lemon, pasta in it. You can add fun little meatballs and make it closer to italian wedding soup.

Think about slicing a fresh chili on top of whatever soup you make :P

>bone broth
Fuck off hipster faggot, it's called stock.

bone broth is a kind of stock but the terms are not interchangeable. just because you millennials are acting like stock that doesn't come out of a paper box is some kind of radical new invention doesn't make it an invalid term

Listen, man, I'm trying to help you here.
I've seen your kind before. You live in something that can only barely be called a town, likely some glorified truckstop in the midwest. You have family and some friends. Perhaps friends isn't the right word, more like "some of the only people I can tolerate in this town with 100 people living in it." If you work, you work in a gas station that services highway goers, or one of the tiny general stores that barely supplies your town. If you are the literal hottest shit around, maybe you commute 2 hours to the nearest actual civilization, where you preform the same menial tasks you would at home, but for a slightly higher pay.
I may have gotten the details wrong here, but the point still stands. You are a fucking gas station attendant. You only barely exist, and only to fulfill the needs of people who are much more important than you, like truck drivers. You have probably never been farther than 100 miles from your house, even possibly, never left your town at all. Maybe if you were super fucking lucky, your parents took you on a trip to the grand canyon or something, all the while you wished you were at home, wasting away.
If you keep living your life this way, you are going to fucking die there without ever having seen the better part of life. You are going to die a gas station attendant.

If you choose to heed any part of this warning, read this part. There is more to life than that. If you care so much for your family, just fucking visit them every once in a while. Call them once a week. No parent wants their child to waste away unfulfilled in some shithole, they will understand. And if they sincerely, sincerely want you to stay there, to rot with them: They aren't worth caring about. Your friends too, hell, maybe you can even convince one to come with you. If they resist, if they beg you not to go, it is because they are stuck in the same loop you are.
Get out there.

Why is there always that "one guy" in literally every single fucking thread?

Tom Yum Gai, the most delicious chicken soup ever. If I have it when I'm ill I feel better immediately, and you can load it with bean sprouts, chilli and bok choi to make it a proper dense delicious meal

That wasn't even me lol. I live in the South, not the midwest, and it's a college town. Dropped out recently due to depression and I'm waiting a semester before I rejoin, that's why I'm in the town I'm in

thanks for the recipe

Kickass tuscan soup:

>2 cans of chicken broth
>Half a yellow onion
>Two russet potatoes, cut up small
>A pound of uncooked Italian sausage
>Some cilantro
>3 cloves of garlic
>A small container of heavy creamer

Finely chop the garlic and the half onion, cook the sausage and set it aside. Brown the onion and garlic, then throw in the meat and potatoes. Throw in the chicken broth, then fill up one of the cans with water. Throw in some seasonings if you want, then let it cook for 30 minutes.

Chop up a small handful of the cilantro and let it cook for another 10 minutes. Add the creamer at the end. You can add cayenne pepper to make it spicy, or go full retard and add some asian garlic chili paste.