Which book is perfect in your eyes, user? Not just something you enjoyed, but something that's a full 10/10 for you

Which book is perfect in your eyes, user? Not just something you enjoyed, but something that's a full 10/10 for you.

If you can, suggest another book you think that fellow user may also enjoy.

For me it's Don Quixote. My heart broke when it finished, Sancho and Don Quixote never got to be those shepherds.

Other urls found in this thread:

ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/3910/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hands down this.

Did you read the Denny version? Was it readable?

PARADISE L O S T

Yes, it's fine

I heard he dropped the sewer bits. Is this true? I kinda wanted to read them. I can only find Denny's version in the shop, so I will get him if he meets my sewer standards.

The only unabridged version I found was pic related. It's also the best translation and the cheapest.

I just finished The Iliad and now I don't think anything could be better. Hector's death and how his family are mourning/preparing for Troy to get fucked in the ass is genuinely upsetting.

yeah, even though the fall of troy is inevitable, when hector's wife is talking about their child never reaching manhood because he'll be executed and that achilles won't relent despite the sorrow that troy suffers, no longer able to fight, he still wants them fucking dead. this shit fucking broke me

boby dick is pretty nice

What is that painting called on the cover , I need this

The Brothers Karamazov, East of Eden, and Stoner are the three 10/10 fiction books I've read.

Don Quixote
(Don Quichotte)
Adrien-Louis DEMONT

ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/3910/

I don't think I've read a personal 10/10 yet, but Anna Karenina was easily a 9/10 for me.

These two

What about the Modern Library Classics version? Is that abridged?

Stoner, JR, Eveningland (story collection)

>10/10
>episodic structure

Unoriginal as fuck. Waiting for someone to pontificate on IJ and Moby Dick.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

>If it's well known then it can't be perfect
>pontificate

Go back to brooklyn

Nobody said they had to be original or obscure. I think you completely missed the point of the thread.

OP asked for personal 10 out of 10s. It doesn't matter shit if you disagree

Critique of pure reason is 10/10

Came to post J R

nearly made me believe in God again

I don't see enough about this book on this board. It had me laughing till I was crying and contemplating philosophy as a whole.

The Old Man and the Sea. It's the Pet Sounds of books.

East of Eden is a writer in his damn element

Don't know what is pet sounds but I loved the old man and the sea.

Once i was able to push through this book it made it alot easier for me to understand olde english and opened up alot of books and translations of older books written in that era.

Came to post this.

The conversation with the priest really does it all.

Hated this BS

Beach Boys album. Revolutionized pop music as an art form. very good.

you poor poor supressed man

Where specifically did you cry laughing?

What did you like so much about it?
I liked it, but it felt oddly dragged out and repetitive in diction.

And Moby-Dick. Halfway through For Whom the Bell tolls and it's 10/10 thus far.

Chaucer isn't Old English though

Seconding

No fucking way

The Book of the New Sun obviously

>By the use of the language of sorrow I had for the time being obliterated my sorrow—so powerful is the charm of words, which for us reduces to manageable entities all the passions that would otherwise madden and destroy us.

I thought the narrator was trying to emulate the old man's thoughts and since It's an old man, they repeat stuff a lot.

He said 'olde' so obviously he meant modern or middle

I get that, and it works with the situation he finds himself in (with the complete boredom and repetitiveness of the sealife), i still feel like it dragged too much.
I really liked it, though

Bready good

then Critique of Judgement is 11/10

What are your qualms with Franzen?

Terribly boring stories of the middle-class, and his prose is non-existent.

Those are contemporaneous arguments you could make about most social realist authors--especially while the trendy writers of the day are avant garde. Edith Wharton, for example. Boring stories about middle class people, prose nowhere near as exciting as to concurrent modernists.
It's funny--in my classes at university, everyone shits on Franzen for trying too hard to be, well, exciting and erudite. That's after a reading of The Corrections, though. Freedom and Purity are of a much more vanilla cut.

Pic related and Ada

It seems like you're proving my point.
Edith is trash compared to modernists.
And Franzen is a contemporary, so surely contemporaneous arguments would befit him?

i don't know i have felt like it is out there. the closest i ever felt to it was the divine comedy. some books feel too inactive but express a lot of interesting ideas. others have the opposite problems

Pic related is unparalleled in shaping the way in which we conceive of an entire category of objects.

Les Mis without the semantics on street/sewer layouts and battle formations would probably also fit(I read the Folio Society version, and it was a great translation imo).

'Sblood! I was going to post this.

I love how much I'm seeing The Sot-Weed Factor on Veeky Forums these days.

The Corrections is better

The entire earthquake scene.

>pontificate
Yeah, we all saw that DFW interview when we first came to Veeky Forums as well. Enjoy your stay.

I'Christ! I'm around page 500 right now and I'm absolutely loving it. It has blown me away over and over again. I can already tell it's gonna be one of those books that completely alters my perception of the world. Glad to see a couple other like-minded anons. Either of you read that 'Goat Boy' or whatever book Barth wrote? How does it compare to Sot-Weed?

I've read all his works except for the Fridays book. Giles is fun, Sot-Weed is better. You should still read it, but it is more conventional, and less acerbic. I would say you should definitely still read it, because it's wonderful, but before that check out Barth's second novel "The End of the Road." You can often find it packaged with "The Floating Opera," they're both great, and are absolute must reads for a Barth fan

Machiavelli's The Prince. It's short, to the point, has sound reasoning, and is full of helpful advice. Whereas others write about how to rule a nation "morally", he emonstrates how to rule successfully. Call me simple, but as a politics enthusiast, it's a 10/10 for me.

>Stoner
seconding this, Stoner is a perfect book but its not one of my favorites

This book was a solid 10. There was no part of it that wasn't absolutely genius. The buildup to the point where Stephen decides to pursue art rather than priesthood was absolutely sublime. It's one of those books where you have to go back and read pages multiple times because you cannot believe how great it is.

Moby Dick
Swann's Way
Within A Budding Grove
Guermantes Way
Anna Karenina
The Republic
A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man
Gravity's Rainbow

Fuck yes, I love this book.

book(s)

>Don Quixote
>10/10

This meme has to stop, Cervantes' tirade against chivalric novels is as subtle as a brick in your face and he bloats the length of the novel with turgid didacticisms.

Are these good to learn their respective subjects if one's a weeaboo?

Ahahahahahababhahaha, he wrote about how to rule ruthlessly and succeed in the short term not about how to rule successfully long term. That was his whole point to help people spot those that want to play them and that ruthlessness gives immediate rewards but costs you in the long term.

alright thats fucking it, im killing myself

this

divine comedy, portrait and moby dick 10/10

ulysses literal 15/10

I was memeing but I did have a look at some of them. No, not really, they're mostly good for children. They are slow moving and not very info dense, due to the fact that they're wrapped up in pseudonarratives and have accompanying artwork with minimal text.

might be a entry level choice, but its a book i keep coming back to and loving it every time

This and The Master and Margarita

People enjoy having fun, believe it or not.

Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None"

this
>How strange it is that the sky, which by day is a stationary ground on which the clouds are seen to move, by night becomes the backdrop for Urth's own motion, so that we feel her rolling beneath us as a sailor feels the running of the tide. That night the sense of this slow turning was so strong that I was almost giddy with its long, continued sweep.
>Strong too was the feeling that the sky was a bottomless pit into which the universe might drop forever. I had heard people say that when they looked at the stars too long they grew terrified by the sensation of being drawn away. My own fear--and I felt fear--was not centered on the remote suns, but rather on the yawning void; and at times I grew so frightened that I gripped the rock with my freezing fingers, for it seemed to me that I must fall off Urth.

This, Don Quixote is the best slice of life anime ever made.

It's not my favorite, but it's the best book I've read all year.

new to literature and a bit of brainlet. What do you mean by episodic structure and why is it a bad thing?

>Master and margarita
Yes my user

Gulliver's Travels.

I see you have perfected your bait.
I literally cannot stop myself from responding to you

Lolita is a 10 tho despite being entry level

I feel sorry for people who skip parts of or don't finish Moby Dick. It's so close to perfection.

Crime and Punishment, for me.

But then again before I read it I didn't realise the ceiling for perfect could go so high - perhaps another book will result in a similar revelation.

At first i thought that was crap but I reread it four times and it's sincerely beautiful.

Autumn of the patriarch

Saving this for when i reread dubliners

Stoner, The Road, 100 Years of Solitude, and As I Lay Dying are 10/10 for me

I never asked for subtlty when I read Don Quixote, just fun misadventures with wonderful characters and perfect comic timing. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the digressions in it but I loved every moment and I can't think of another book that gave me more joy. Sorry to hear you didn't like it, user.

Loved the part where he kicks the student's ass as he pretends to be a knight

Agreed. They might not be my absolute favorites, but as far as being cohesive, aesthetically pleasing, fun, and effective, not much can top these two, especially when it comes to modern literature.
I can't think of a thing I would change about them, because any change to either book would make them worse.