Are Game of Thrones and its sequels really Reddit-tier SJW trash, or are they worth reading?

Are Game of Thrones and its sequels really Reddit-tier SJW trash, or are they worth reading?

If you like the themes (war, death, loyalty, betrayal, righteousness, birth right, politics, identity, honour) and jumping through a lot of characters, then they're alright. Also "Game of Thrones" is the tv show, it's called "A Song of Ice and Fire". Note that it also has magic n shiet in it, but it blends well.

Oh and idk why people compare them to something like LotR, or other high fantasy. They are not comparable at all.

They're okay. Not as bad as their detractors say, but not Peake or Eddison or Dunsany or anything.

>is genre fiction worth reading
say that back to yourself, slowly

holy...i want more

Lemme check the calendar here um.....
August 12th ah grand not long now

How cannon is the show with the books? Someone told me that it basically becomes an elaborate fan fiction around season 5. Was he right?

I don't know a lot about genre fiction, but at least the worldbuilding is good.
I don't give a fuck about the main conflict or 95% of the characters because they are dull as fuck.

The books are a lot less SJW than the TV show, especially from the latest fanfic seasons.
It's a disappointing reading since it will remain unfinished.

It becomes fanfiction at about season 3

@OP I thought they were quite entertaining

George RR Martin is just a creepy obese guy with filthy degenerate sexual fetishes and rape fantasies, so how SJW are his books? Not SJW at all.

They also aren't very well written, but he is good at incessantly making gimmicky cliffhangers to force you to keep reading.

They are nowhere near as bad as the show, mostly because 4/5 of them were written 12-20 years ago, before gay rape was applauded and expected in all media.

If you really think about it, there's no strong independent woman who don't need no man in the books. Circe is a blithering idiot and typical female ruler. Brienne is a genetic aberration and the kind of freak of nature that a woman would have to be, physically, in order to wear armour and fight in medieval combat. Arya just wants to be a sneaky assassin, and fights the way a child would (frantic stabbing, getting kicked around a lot). Most of the women are idiots, just like irl. Until the 5th book he doesn't even explicate any faggotry, Renly was so loosely implied that I missed it entirely until his 2/3-dozen full penetration gay sex scenes in the show. They also cast a bunch of explicitly white characters as niggers in the show.

They lied to you. It's not "elaborate" in any way.

It was sloppy and fudging details from S1, by S3 it was feces, by S5 they stopped even pretending to follow the book. The worst part is they rushed through one book per season and cut about 2/3rds of the material as a result. Why rush through it so you can finally start making your own shit up? It doesn't make sense.

>SJW trash

What does this mean? That it had some gay or non-white characters?

Yeah, you know there's not really a choice when the creator of the series has written a new book in so long. D&D adapted the TV show under the assumption that the books would be done. GRRM had plenty of time to finish the series.

D&D were doing fine when they had source material to work form.

I started reading the first one and I really liked it

It's very good for entry level

As far as fantasy goes, it's one of the better reads I've had. I have a feeling most of the detractors are just mad because these books are more popular than [insert Veeky Forums user's favourite here].

Martin is bretty gud at melding medieval scenery with a touch of fantasy.

>Imagine war of the roses with magic n' dragons n' shit.

It's neat if you are looking for entertainment.

>Reddit-tier SJW trash
don't confuse the fanbase and the content

A Song of Ice and Fire is not SJW at all...not really sure where you came up with that.
Yes, they are very much worth reading, but I'm getting sick of this exact thread every few days. I feel like it's the same person, and we're not giving him the answer he wants, so he keeps reposting this.

Don't confuse ASOIAF with the tv series vaguely based on it.

Books will ALWAYS be surperior to their on-screen adaptations.
It's a curse, really.
Too much is changed to appease the masses, not the core.

>Reddit-tier SJW trash
get help, if this is really how you define genre and styles.

>genre fiction
rethink that sentence and then substitute bad books.

pretty good story and characters and doesn't start forcing muh stronk womyn like the show appears to be
books 4/5 can drag in parts though, hopefully fatty will pick up the pace if he ever hopes to finish before his heart gives out

Jaws wasn't
The Godfather wasn't
The Hunt for Red October wasn't
The Executioners (Cape Fear) wasn't
Badge of Evil (Touch of Evil) wasn't

They're penny dreadfuls of sword-shit.

good books make shit movies
shit books make good movies

I generally agree with this and trips confirms it.

Can people stop fucking using the words "SJW" and "reddit" already?

Why are you getting so butthurt about someone posting as if they were on Veeky Forums, on Veeky Forums?

Its pretty pathetic to says that women are idiots and then admit to somehow missing the "implied" homosexuality in the books. Multiple characters openly mock him for being gay not to mention he's in the god damn Rainbow Guard.

>Jaime grabbed the boy with his good hand and yanked him around. "I am the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, you arrogant pup. Your commander, so long as you wear that white cloak. Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I'll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found."

Imagine being you in that editorial meeting and having to be all like "damn, George R. R. Martin, you fuckin' fine, all profound with your hackneyed historical allegories and distorted political realism. I would totally read your books, both my pen name and the real me." when all you really want to do is reread Lolita in your corner office. Like seriously imagine having to be you and not only sit in that chair while George R. R. Martin flaunts his disgusting prose in front of you, the embarrassing metaphors barely concealing his utter lack of literary nuance, and just sit there, page after page, chapter after chapter, while he perfected that novel. Not only having to tolerate his monstrous fucking drivel but his haughty attitude as everyone on the board tells him he's SURPASSED TOLKIEN and DAMN, GEORGE R. R. MARTIN WRITES LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his overt perversions contort into types of fetishization you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been reading nothing but a healthy diet of Joyce, Pynchon and Wallace for your ENTIRE ADULT LIFE coming straight out of a boarding school in Europe. You've never even read anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you encounter the pinnacles of his work, every stool that was looser than the one before and her cunt that became the world, as he recites them while gesturing suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "painstaking (for that is what he calls it)" writing, the writing he worked so sporadically for in the previous decades. And then the editor in chief calls for another discussion, and you know you could discredit Martin’s entire bibliography before the SJW and diversity hires could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking you. You're not going to lose your future publisher’s career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

>stop naming the creeping psychopath ideology spreading across campuses and the media

You have to go back

>Also "Game of Thrones" is the tv show

>"Are Game of Thrones and its sequels"

Sorry to hear you're retarded/american

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichaen duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

I can find no incorrect claim in this paragraph

and ASOIAF wasn't.

What books should I read if I liked this?

That's because the showrunners are British cucks.

Shut your mouth before I bust your lip open.

saved

>Tolkien is to creative literary genius
hmmm what did he mean by this?

t. christopher

It's a book 'about war' written by a draft-dodging fantasy writer who hawks own about Lord of the Rings, a fantasy novel series reflecting the experiences of 2nd Lieutenant Tolkien in the first world war for not having enough rape.

Let that thought sink in for a moment.

You're getting a book with war and rape, not a book about war and rape. (Is that it?)

The setting's cool, the lore is detailed, the author's own views on gender are somewhat archaic, though not traditionalist. The characters are carbon copies of tropes that are either too stupid to live or too evil to be killed for dramatic reasons and women who fall somewhere in between.

I still haven't read these books or watched the tv show. I've been thinking about reading the books soon not knowing anything about this franchise whatsoever, but I have heard that the books get pretty shitty eventually. Is that true and if so are they still worth reading?

fuck nuance

>Reddit-tier SJW trash
This.

Do they not have analogies in your native language?

I read that in the hounds voice

I actually remember Veeky Forums recommending ASOIAF a lot before the show came out, it's how I got to reading it. Now, that it's hugely popular they feel the need to distance themselves from the idiotic "normie" fanbase by disparaging the books. Honestly, if you like reading fantasy, I definitely recommend it. Not everything you read needs to be Wolfe, Vance or Peake.

I mean I've heard the first book is good but that they get worse as they go on. I hate reading book series that get worse and worse.

I personaly like a lot op.
I have no interest in the show, but I like Martins work a lot.
Tho I found the 3° book more like a chore at some points.

no pages
o

p
a
g
e
s

now that I got my troll reply out of the way...

the first three books are good. feast and dance are bloated and have structural issues.

it's low culture, it's obviously not literary greatness, but if you don't expect too much out of it, you're in for a good read.

10/10

If Sauron had a better tax policy, than in Gondor/Rohan, he would conquer Middle-Earth without his ring and orc hordes?

His tax policy if anything was too lenient.
He should have increased the taxes in Mordor to push the orcs to migrate to the west.
Then he should have convinced the governments of Gondor and Rohan to accept orc refugees as a way to substitute their aging populations.

+oil (upton sinclair) and there will be blood
pt anderson said the book wasnt that good so he had no expectations to fulfill

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is better and tackles most of the same shit, except is has better written characters and actually intelligent battles.

If you like books and you like the show you'd probably enjoy the books.

I know this feeling, can't wait until Summer is over

>Reddit-tier trash
yes
>SJW
i will kill you it's not SJW and SJW isn't a reason to not read a book

>and actually intelligent battles.
nu Veeky Forums everyone