Ctrl+f no Prime Rib thread

What am I going to do with this thing, Veeky Forums? Im thinking of 20 minutes at 500, then letting it sit in the oven for the next 2 hours til it hits 130 or so. Of course this is after coating it with chopped fresh rosemary, grated horseradish, and kosher salt. Can you recommend something better?

What are you making for Christmas tomorrow? Also, prime rib and roast beast thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

publix.com/aprons-recipes/herb-crusted-rib-roast-and-scalloped-potatoes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

B B Q
B
Q

>anus beef
do americans really view cow assholes as a delicacy?

>bong education

Fareway is better. You just got jewed and cucked.

Checked and agreed wholeheartedly. They are closed on Sundays tho :(

Sad but true :(

>Iowa
You flyovers have been active today.

We're always here you coastal elitest faggot. Merry Christmas

Flyovers get frenetic on xmas celebrating the ascendancy of Mammon.

Merry christmas to you too fagifornian

Rotisserie is the way to go, slathered in salt and pepper. Take off at 115F.

Also that’s not technically prime rib, it’s just a rib eye. It has to say ‘prime’ on their somewhere. It’s a grade of meat.

>2017
>still eating meat
You flesh eaters never learn

As a Vegan... this makes me very upset; almost trigger inducing.
You killed a kind, gentle creature of the world to feast upon its flesh.

Do you feel no guild? Have you no shame?

Like, vote, subscribe.
We did it, Reddit!

Elitest indeed

You have to go back

>>>/suicide/

got a discounted rib roast from tom thumb for $15 / 6lbs, cooked it for Christmas eve family dinner - serious eats reverse sear worked really well

4 hours at 225F, 10 mins at 550F

I think I found my method then. I'm looking for something that won't burn my coating, so maybe I will remove it right before the 500 degree shot, or just hope for the best that it won't burn too badly

found this mustard Rosemary crusted recipe a few years ago on a publix weekly ad and it has become xmas tradition ever sense. Just made it today publix.com/aprons-recipes/herb-crusted-rib-roast-and-scalloped-potatoes

When the civil war comes they will regret living in their easily blockaded shithole cities.

If a Civil War breaks out and it's countryside vs. cities, you guys we'll be fucked due to shear numbers alone.

Sous vide then finish off with an herb crust on high heat in the oven for like 6-7 minutes

I just tried this technique from foodwishes.

1. Preheat oven to to 500F
2. Once up to temp, toss in roast and cook at 500F for 5 mins X the TOTAL weight of the roast rounded up to the next minute. (so 6.75lbs X 5 = 33.75 mins = 34 mins total)
3. After the cooking time is complete, turn off the oven and allow to cook for an additional 2 hours. Do NOT open the oven.
4. After 2 hours, pull the roast, cover in foil, and use the drippings to make your Jus.

While every oven is differnt, my roast came out rare/medium rare and was mighty tasty.

Do what you think is best.

yuropeean education

I use a thermometer that can be read outside the closed oven door but this is pretty much fool proof

Toppest of keks. The cities will eat each other in a week. Your "numbers advantage" will disappear in a miasma of plague, chaos, and cannibalism. Come meet me in the country, we'll teach you a thing or two lol

This.
Take a look at a place like Syria and tell me the cityboys are better off.

Someone above mentioned this recipe that I'm going to try tomorrow:
www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/perfect-prime-rib-with-red-wine-jus-recipe.html
It's a reverse sear, to avoid overcooking the edges, which has always been my weakness. I will make a thread tomorrow with my step by step.

"Prime rib" is a cut of meat, and doesn't necessarily mean or require that the grade is Prime. That's not to say there aren't Prime graded prime ribs, but if that's the case you can bet your ass they're marked and priced accordingly.

this i work in the city grew up in the county the city is fucked is so many ways they dont even see it. thank god im a country boy

>What are you making for Christmas tomorrow?
I'm responsible for the turkey. Right now, it is sitting in a bucket full of brine. I'm trying a new brine recipe that includes salt, brown sugar, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, onion, whole peppercorns, apple cider, and orange peels. The brine smells absolutely amazing. I will be going to bed soon, and waking up in roughly 6 hours to begin cooking it. I will be smoking it using a 50/50 combination of apple wood and cherry wood at a temp of 250f. I've smoked Turkey's before that turned out well, but I'm excited to see how this turns out with the new brine. I've never cooked prime rib before, so all I can say is good luck OP.

I saw that too. Please do post how it goes.

That sounds like a kick-ass brine my dude. I don't have a smoker that will do a whole bird, kinda jealous. Hope it turns out great, I'm sure it will. Merry Christmas!

Sounds great. It's amazing how much a brine really transforms poultry. Bet it's gonna be great. Merry Christmas.

OP speaking. Thought I'd just post my progress pics here rather than kill another thread.

Now the roast is smothered with a
>1part grated horseradish
>1 part chopped rosemary
>2 parts kosher salt
combo.

Now in a 220F oven for (???)hours until it reaches an internal temp of 125. Stand by

Post pics faggot

Shoot I forgot. Here it is as it went in

lookin' good

I don't want to open the oven, so the pic is not so clear. We are at about 115 or so, getting close!

i like the coating of choco bits and shredded coconut

Yeah, pull it out at 120 at most.

Shit forgot pic again

Close, it's horseradish and rosemary

Pull it now!

I'm going to pull it at 120 exactly. I'm cooking it at 250, so I'm not expecting much cross cooking or whatever it's called

This is my roast, just me and my spouse.
Got this for choice price but it's definitely closer to prime than select.

A little too on the rare side for my taste.

It'll get a quick tossing at 500 then let rest in the oven for 2 hours, it'll be slightly more cooked by then

Internal temp of 120 exactly. Now we let this rest under a tent of aluminum foil for about 20-25 min while we prepare the rest of the sides

Nice marbling user.

I see essentially no browning there user, aren't you supposed to high heat blast it before resting to get that maillard?

thank ya user
what's going on your christmas table this year?

Tent loosely user. Tent loosely. You don't want to steam that shit.

>Reverse sear until 132.67 degrees at 200F
>rest for a bit
>sear at 500F when ready to eat

I did the seriouseats reverse sear method (see link above). Blasted it at 500 after the juices sat, so I could carveit right away.

Pic related, I think it turned out really good for my first time. The crust is flavored awesome, very juicy, and there is little to no gray between the crust and inside. Hope you all have a very merry Christmas. Jesus is the reason for the season ;)

He knows

I'm OP :) there are some salads and green bean casserole, rolls and mashed potatoes. I am sticking to the meat and potatoes!

Would eat, but you should work on your sear game and stop fucking around with jesus bs.

pretty good A-

Thanks user, I think I'll leave it in at 500 a while longer next time.merry Christmas

I wonder if this is why the sear wasn't so great, maybe got some moisture on the outside. Will tent more loosely next time

Nice. Your woman like a nice medium rare? My wife only likes medium well at best.

Going for rare, wife prefers her meat closer to blue. She'll eat tartare if we can source it well enough

Shame to cook the thing past I'd say med-rare so we'll hope I don't fuck it up

Cool. In my experience the ladyfolk like it cooked longer. Guess you got a keeper!

Looks great. If your family liked it, then that's all that matters.

Having Prime Rib for dinner tonight, best part of Christmas

Hope your holidays are as warm as mine are user, you seem like a good fella.

Happy Holidays

You too! Just got back from visiting with my wife's mother's side. Did brunch with your typical Midwest fare (lots of casseroles, biscuits and gravy, French toast) and had the kids opening gifts. Enjoy your holidays, my friend.

Fresh out of the oven and rated about 15

Is that garlic? What's the inside look like?

Oh baby, I'm grabbing that end piece.

>mfw I don't have a roasting rack so I use a BBQ grill grating tied on top of a carbon steel wok to do roasts with

Lost some points on the sear, but that's not the important part, imo, and you've got very little browning on the inside leaving all that nice med-med/rare meat.

Would eat. Solid 8 of 10.

>8.98/lb
Holy shit, you need to work on your shopping game user.

No doubt, but that's what you get when you do last minute shopping on the 24th

Got a three-bone roast in the oven as we speak!! Reverse searing @ 225 til the roast hits 118 degrees, then take it out let it rest and get to 128-132 degrees from carry over, and finally gonna blast it on 500 for 15 minutes for that delicious crust. Second year doing it and it came out perfect last year!!

Anyone got any ideas/recipes for sauces using the roasting juices??

>ideas/recipes for sauces using the roasting juices??

Drain all the juices and fats from the pan. Add 1-2 tsp of flour to the bottom of the pan along with 1-2 tbsp of juices / fats and bring to a heat. Cook out the flour, then add beef broth to deglaze the pan and create a jous to serve with the roast.

It was garlic and it's since been devoured.
Hungry family doesn't wait longer than one picture.

It was probably my best Christmas roast to date.

I smoked a strip loin instead of prime rib this year to see how it would turn out.

Here it is seasoned with the rub just before I put it on the smoker.

So Chef John says to bring the PR to room temp for 6 hours, then roast it in the oven for 5 mins per lbs at 500, then turn the oven off and let it cook for 2 hours without opening the oven.

Is this a good method?

After it was seared, rested and sliced. I made the mistake of putting my friend in charge of pulling it off the smoker once it hit 120 since i was busy preparing all the other shit but he managed to fuck up that simple task and we ended up with medium. Oh well, still tasted good.

And plated with everything else. Reasonably good but I still think I'll just do a prime rib next year, or maybe just a big ass prime top sirloin.

Looks choice!

Looks dang fine!

Had this discussion above a little bit. Try the seriouseats reverse sear. There's hardly any carryover cooking, and it comes out just perfect.

I used his method for a 3.5 pound roast and it turned out well for me.

Compared to this: My roast had a much better char, but had more browning on the inside.

The next roast I'm going to slow cook it at 200 until it hits 110f internal, than take it out of the oven to rest until the oven reaches max temp at 500f, then I'll toss it back in until it's nice and browned or 115f internal before I pull it and rest it for 30 minutes while I make the Jus.

Would eat. 8 / 10.

Stfu

wasn't really thinking about ck but I snapped one pic

>200F until 127
>rested for 90 minutes
>Seared for 18 minutes at 500F with convection fan on

sorry no money shot but it was a nice mid rare

They're all pretty silly, imo.

not to be a grinch, but wouldn't you only get a crust if you sear in the pan? did you sear in the pan?

wait sorry i know nothing and am in fact a newfag

posting mine from tonight, did it on a pellet smoker

and the cutaway
cba to fix the picture rotation

>doesn't know anything about bovine breeds
>too stupid to look it up
>typical non american