Any good books about chess? I fucking suck at it

Any good books about chess? I fucking suck at it.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XH92caCT
lichess.org/Fi51S0Cl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

chess is a stupid game, computers could already beat all humans at it in the fucking 90s which just shows how fucking lame it is

>A machine with near perfect foresight can beat an imperfect being
Fuck mate, what a shocker

it shows that it requires no intuition or intelligence, just an ability to mentally execute a search algorithm

And games do you play brainlet?

call of duty

>long history throughout half the world
Definitely not the 90s, at least when considering good players, try post-2009

Go is harder in the sense that AI needs to be far more advanced as it contains far more potential states. But it has long since superseceded the top players in that.

So what game is there that computers can't beat humans at, hmm? You'll be playing against humans, not computers. Why measure worth by it.

does anyone remember the name of the game that used animals instead for the pieces?

and also, the creator offered a reward to anyone who could program an ai for that game

That's not how AI for games works, not for chess, not for Go, not for fucking Call of Duty. It uses neural networks, so it explicitly uses intuition and intelligence.

just practice tactics nonstop bro

deep blue beat kasparov in 1997, why would you play a game so simplistic that a computer can do it? think about the jobs computers can do, they're all low wage cuck jobs, now chess has been exposed as being on that tier intellectually, deal with it

actually it is how those algorithms work, it just searches all possible moves and then looks at the one most likely to lead to a win and picks that one, it's a simple game

If they spent as much time and money making a COD or any other game machine it would be just as unbeatable, if not more so, than the latest chess computers.

well of course, the game is in a computer, it can just automatically headshot you every shot if it wants

>If a computer can do it, it's simplicistic
That's it. That goes straight in the top 3 of the most stupid things I've heard on Veeky Forums

Bagh-Chal uses tiger and goat pieces.

computers are incredibly stupid, but very fast, if a computer can solve a problem then it's not hard only time consuming

1.8k rated amateur here, he's right, chess is all memorization for like 500 hours before you get to the fun stuff, when it becomes mostly memorization.

thanks but that wasn't it

I remember it also used elephants and that it was fairly recent (2005 or so)

KYS yourself, friendo.

well humans probably use all kind of intuition to develop strategies, but the problem is the game is simple enough that a computer can just brute force it by testing every possible outcome

>computers could already beat all humans
You do realize that humans programmed the computers? And the first machines sucked at chess. It wasn't until the the computer programmers recruited actual chess players.

So it's actually chess players beating other chess players. The computer is just memorizing the moves that other chess players made and making those moves.

>The computer is just memorizing
>memorizing

that's the point my friend

>deep blue beat kasparov in 1997
Deep blue cheated because in the middle of the game they reprogrammed it. That violates the rules. You can't get outside help during a match. A human would have been disqualified. But if you're backed with corporate money you can buy the judges.

as much contempt as i have for chess, i have even more contempt for ibm and i must agree their machine learning / deep learning shit has always been bogus overhyped crap

This

Computers are not and will not ever be anything more than enormous, extremely efficient databases. Without human users they are literally useless

the singularity is eternally one microchip away

I got you covered, bro.

pastebin.com/XH92caCT

If you're entirely new, maybe play some first to get a feel for the game. There's a game featuring Josh Waitzkin (Chessmaster or something) that's pretty nice. Then people usually name Silman and Seirawan as places to start, but you'll know what to ask soon enough.

You clearly have no understanding of how tensor AI then

the latest volume of How to Reasses Your Chess by Jeremy Silman is good.

This along with EndGame which is Bobby Fischers biography. Pic related is high art though, and touches on the insanity of this .

Tangentially related, Master of Go by Kawabata.

an computer AI can solve call of duty even faster than chess

Anyone play on lichess?
What the fuck is up with Stockfish?
I play it on level 3 and sometimes I win and other times it just absolutely fucking wrecks me in like 10 moves.

This. Modders already use autoaim bots all the time. The slightly harder part would be pathing but that would only require developing a nueral network. Call of Duty is a point and click while chess is a branching choose your own adventure.

>The slightly harder part would be pathing but that would only require developing a nueral network

Thats not how neural networks work...

Nimzowitsch's My System is a masterpiece of beginner-tier chess theory. Reading more complex works without knowing about My System is fucking retarded.

Also chess is only fun on blitz and autistic 0+5 modes, normal modes are nothing but a game of memorization.

Blitz sucks.
Why introduce arbitrary time constraints just to pressure the likelihood of blunders

Chess games are boring until the players start making blunders so why not force the players into making more shit moves?

Playing shit players blundering in Blitz is actually the most boring thing I can imagine. What's the point?

I've seen international masters get scholar's mated because they pre-moved and then were unable to stop an attack that otherwise would pose absolutely no threat. It's stupid.
If anything Blitz is more reliant upon memorization because what happens is you memorize your opening and then rush through it hoping to get up on time so you have more time to deploy tactics in the end game and then win on time.

The only reason people even play Blitz is because it makes it harder to cheat using computer assistance because there isn't enough time for calculation.

Blitz is the same level of autism as "Gotta Go Fast" Sonic games. It's memorizing simpler patterns for easy tactics. At least in regular chess an observer can appreciate the interesting positions GMs create with their imperfect play.

I agree this with.
I don't see the point of whining about how chess is over because computers can play it.
You guys realize you can just play against other people right?

The Soviet Chess Primer
lichess.org/Fi51S0Cl

I wouldn't say blitz is shit. But most players would say it's as different from real chess as checkers is. Sometimes people just dont have 1 hr to invest into a longer game.

>what happens is you memorize your opening and then rush through it hoping to get up on time so you have more time to deploy tactics in the end game and then win on time
false
>The only reason people even play Blitz is because it makes it harder to cheat using computer assistance because there isn't enough time for calculation
incredibly false
>most players would say it's as different from real chess as checkers is
no...

Were you even in a chess club as a kids/teenagers? Do you even bantz?

>no...
that's a paraphrase of Magnus.... but i'm sure you are more qualified to comment of blitz than he is

>if someone more qualified makes a statement that means most people would also make it
intrestink

>if i have an opinion that means most people probably agree with me

i really love riichi mahjong but i hate that the english speaking community is majority autistic weebs

oh I thought my impression of what most chess players would say comes from interacting with chess players
thanks for correcting me and just generally exisiting

It wouldn't need any pathing just walk in random directions and aimduel everyone using aimbot. how can you lose?

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7543aa94e3e906b124f95a7516f46d02057f9520&dn=Chess%20Books%20Collection&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337

Thanks!

Play more, git gud.
Read all you want, but hands on is the best teacher.

THIS