Can I get some recommendations on French literature besides Camus...

Can I get some recommendations on French literature besides Camus? I checked the Veeky Forums wiki but didn't find anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Jean-Paul-Sartre/e/B000AQ0LN0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Victor Hugo

In translation?

Molière, Montesquieu, Laclos, Voltaire, Hugo, Maupassant, Zola, Flaubert, ect ...

journey to the end of the night
candide
anti-oedipus

Racine, Rabelais, Froissart, Balzac, George Sand, a
Stendhal and Grillet.

>Racine in translation

Hugo, Rousseau, Voltaire, Dumas

Prose :
Gracq, Giono, Montaigne, Huysmans, Maupassant, Flaubert, Rousseau, Giraudoux, Diderot

A lot of second-rate writers there.

How can you name Maupassant, Huysmans or Giraudoux (or even Gracq) and leave out Proust, Céline, Stendhal, Balzac...? or just Hugo?

Huysmans, Baudelaire, Proust, Racine

Houellebecq

>How can you name Maupassant, Huysmans or Giraudoux (or even Gracq) and leave out Proust, Céline, Stendhal, Balzac...? or just Hugo?
I would like to know how you decide which author is second-rate which one isn't.
Stendhal, Balzac and Hugo were already recommended.
As for Proust and Céline, I don't think they are easily translatable (same for Huysmans though).

Proust, Stendhal, Zola, Flaubert.

Chanson de Roland, Chanson de Gillaume and the crusade cycle.
Chanson de geste are the pinnacle of french literature.

>I would like to know how you decide which author is second-rate which one isn't
I have taste. Apart from that, Huysmans sells less than Proust or Hugo, and is less significant (less influential, less adapted, etc.) than them domestically and internationally. I like Huysmans but he's no Hugo.

>As for Proust and Céline, I don't think they are easily translatable
Proust translates quite well. Céline not. But even in translation, he's still good and relevant abroad.

This thread desperately needs some Perec (and Queneau too)

>Apart from that, Huysmans sells less than
I stopped reading there.

>Chanson de geste are the pinnacle of french literature.
I beg to differ, Saint-Simon and La Fontaine are, in my opinion, the best writers in all French literature.

>I stopped reading there

No one cares.

For other people who do read my posts, here's my rationale. Selling well is important for old books, because: reasonably high sales = keeps on being re-published regularly = keeps on being influential = keeps on being first-rate for the public.

Not everything that sells well is first-rate, but everything that is first-rate sells well. (We're not talking about selling millions, just about being profitable for publishers.)

A classic that doesn't sell anymore (say the tragedies of Voltaire, or L'Astrée by Honoré d'Urfé) isn't republished and loses all its influence. Then it can even become ugly, dated or ridiculous because other classics with other aesthetic values take the lead.

Thanks, guys.

C O L E T T E
O
L
E
T
T
E

and pretty much everything else that's been mentioned. Also the Letters of Abelard & Heloise, and the Heptameron.

>ctrl + F
>"Lautréamont"
>0 result

Lautréamont?

Céline, voyage au bout de la nuit!!!

But maybe it's difficult to translate Céline, in fact idk i'm french

amazon.com/Jean-Paul-Sartre/e/B000AQ0LN0

>25 replies and no ones mentioned Chrétien de Troyes or Dumas

MONTAIGNE

>Villon
>La Rochefoucauld
>Verlaine