Is it acceptable to take something you brought to a party back?

Is it acceptable to take something you brought to a party back?

Example there was tons of beer, I didnt know they had that much, so before leaving I took the 30 pack I brought and took it home with me. Got a nasty text the next day.

Yes, fuck them.

Absolutely its okay, fuck them for expecting to get a bunch of freebies

Depends, did you drink a bunch of drinks that the host or someone else brought? If so you should probably leave all or some of what you brought. If you only drank your own drinks then fuck them, you don't owe them anything.

Unless people were going thirsty because of it you did nothing wrong.
You don't owe those assholes to leave a crate of beer at their house for them to drink long after the party has ended.
Can't fucking believe they were low-class enough to text you about it

Wasnt this a seinfeld episode but with wine?

I just had a few beers of what they had out, mine was just thrown into a pile and not touched

safest thing would be to leave the number of beers that you drank, if none of yours were consumed during the party

Not only do I take back the stuff I bring but I'll also take a couple bottles of whatever liquor they have there while doing so. If they wanna play the freebies game I'll play that game.

always take back what was yours hell if the party is bunk and no one is drinking enough your supposed to subvert the party bring it back to your place and steal all the party favors. you city kids have no sense of imagination

>hyuk hyuk we's moving this party 20 miles down the road to my barn, cousins

I leave whatever I brought as an offering to the host for being cool and having a party, also because they have to clean up after everyone when it's over.

It's the classy way to live.

Fuck em, you offered it for the party, the party ended and no one took them. You get to take them home.

I would agree with this if I brought a 30 pack and half or 2/3rds were gone, just leave the rest for the party runner.

But on a FULL 30 pack? fuck that shit.

it's no fault of yours if the party flopped, take your shit and enjoy it. Don't go back and if you do don't bring beer, they sound like bitches

Underage party - take your beer.

Adult party - leave it for the host.

if it had just been a fifth of liquor or a six pack its no big deal, but lugging a 30 pack out at the end of the night makes you look like you're looting the place

Nigga brought the 30 pack and it was untouched. If there was THAT much booze it didn't matter.

He brought the 30 pack for people to drink at the party, no one did. Why the fuck should he leave the entire 30 pack for the host?

Now if the ONLY beer left was this untouched 30 pack, then that's a dick move. But i'm assuming if his 30 pack hadn't even been opened then there was plenty of other beer available.

He brought it for the party. That was his intent. Kinda shady, but not worth texting guilt.

It's perfectly acceptable if you're poor or underage.

You brought beer to a party, drank everyone else's beer, then took yours home. You treated everybody else's beer as communal and yours as your own, that's bullshit. Either only drink your own, or drink everybody else's and everybody else drinks yours (which included leaving them once you leave, unless you're the last to leave). You cant defend a drink double standard like that.

that's just the way this shit works tho

you get only a little credit if you make a small alcohol contribution but a a small backlash for taking it back

if you bring a ton of booze then you're a hero for bringing it but a miser for taking it back

it's not necessarily justified but appearances often aren't

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't ever be bringing a 30 pack unless you're the host or you've been sent out because the party was out of alcohol.

How is it shady? He brought it for the party, the party didn't touch it. Why is he obligated to leave it?

Yeah fuck that shit, if they wanted the beer they should have drank it.

agree completely, i'd never bring more than a small bottle of liquor or a six pack unless things had somehow worked out that i knew ahead of time i'm supposed to bring a buttload

the intent was to bring beer for the party. he took it home. Also, it is fucking beer.

if you're so poor that you're nervously eye-ing your shit all night hoping you can take it back, then you shouldn't be buying 30 packs for a party.

that being said, it's a much bigger bitch move for the host to be whining to you about taking your stuff back, so he's more in the wrong than you

You spent money for it, they didn't touch it. They have a problem? It'd be a shame if their house burned down ...

If my guests brought so much food and drink that there would untouched items you better believe I would send folks home with food and drink.

This is the truth. OP is the lesser evil.

The host has to prepare the party and then is stuck with cleaning up the mess afterwards. IMO everything left over is property of the host. Taking home the same amount you brought to the party is seen as not bringing anything at.

yes, but in the future don't bring more alcohol to the party than you're comfortable leaving behind, even if untouched

Ding ding ding. We've got a winner.

I don't think anyone could argue that OP did anything bad enough to warrant anger. At most he committed a slight faux pas. If your friends are the kind of people to make a stink about this kind of thing, you need to get new friends.

this. or any college age party.

Like another user said, its a thank you to the host.

People will sometimes give leftovers to guests to take home though. And if it's just a party where everyone brought some beer or food it's not like it's a huge mess to clean up, just throwing out a few trash bags. If you ask everyone to bring stuff for the party and then keep all the leftovers for yourself it's kind of selfish, like you're trying to profit from it.

The last thing I want in my fridge is some random brand of beer.

Send them a nasty text back saying they are greedy alcoholics. If you don't do this, you are a pussy and may as well give them the beer and your virginity.

It was a marble rye. George's parents took it back because they didn't put it out with the coffee after the meal.
There was another episode about bringing wine and a chocolate/cinnamon babka to a party. The four friends had a hard time acquiring these items. Being all exhausted they just dropped off the wine and babka and left the party.

haha that george is quite a guy

>let me just take this 30 pack back since I was too busy drinking your good stuff
>h-hey why are you so greedy? :^)

at least we know this anime poster isn't a pussy

>if you're so poor that you're nervously eye-ing your shit all night hoping you can take it back, then you shouldn't be buying 30 packs for a party.
Why so mad?

it takes one to know when to give what you get, this is a two way street mister

You're right, you should call them a coward too for being too scared to do anything besides text. Here is the optimal phraseology:

>If you want to make cowardly requests out of sheer alcoholic greed and envy for pithy beer, well, speak to me directly so I can thoroughly ignore your repugnant request.

text that do it now op

A calmer, and more realistic, reply might be:
"Nobody took any of my beer, so I figured it was an unpopular brand with the crowd there. So I just thought it would be wasted if I left it behind."

this

and this

this is right

brought it for the party, party didn't want it.

i'd text 'if you really wanted some, you should have drank it last night. party's over now'

>amerilards so greedy they can't gift a few beers to a host of a party after the party is over

This is the kind of thing makes me ashamed of my fellow amerimutts. I can think of no other peoples in the world who would even consider such an egregious display of selfishness and I've travelled a fair bit.

A 'party' that you would bring a 30-pack to is a party from which it is perfectly acceptable to leave with whatever remains of your beer. I'm presuming they didn't exactly serve crown roast of lamb.

A smaller, more intimate dinner party, with wine and good food? No, you leave the wine for the host, of course. But this isn't that.

I only bring enough that i know i could eat/ drink myself
That way i take some of my stuff and some of the other stuff and its always gone. I didn't pay too much and i don't look like a dick

What does what kind of party it is have to do with etiquette? What you bring to a party is your entrance fee, you're supposed to leave it regardless

I think it depends on the size of the croud, what the hosts are putting in, and how well you know them.

Some college to college age party where people are just getting together to get trashed? If the host let you sip off their bottle of tequila all night then leave a few, if not drink whats yours take maybe a house shot and bring your shit.

Dinner party? you wouldnt bring a 30 of swill. maybe a good 12 pack or bottle of wine, that you leave behind.

There are many answers, it all depends on the circumstances.

If not a single person touched an item, clearly its not needed. Courtesy to leave some to make up for whatever you consumed, but leaving the whole thing honestly sounds like a burden and as a host my biggest peeve is people leaving fucking garbage for me to deal with. Its already enough that I have to clean up after all your asses later, don't add to my pile. Anyone not autistic would have just mentioned to leave a few bottles next time, so im assuming this is some aspie college party in which case who fucking cares.

You could have retaken a couple beers but it's pretty rude, yeah.

It's not just about furnishing the party itself, it's also about showing thanks to the party hosts.

OP didn't indicate that he was watching it like a hawk all night. Maybe he was about to leave and noticed his beer was untouched

No, never. Your offering is a token of appreciation towards the host for the invitation and hospitality and as such, to me, taking it back would be uncouth.

Why should one person be so thankful to the host that he brings 30 beers? Did OP actually drink 30 beers? Probably not, he probably drank a lot less. And whatever food he ate, and the work of cleaning up whatever mess he made, is still worth a lot less than 30 beers.

OP brought 30 beers because he knew that there was a big party and they might not have enough beer. OP was willing for these people to be drinking his beer for free because OP is a nice guy. But then it turns out it wasn't needed, so OP took it back.

Don't go to any more parties hosted by these jerks, OP. They throw parties for personal benefit and not because they actually enjoy hanging out with their friends.

Of course it's never acceptable, you peasant. That aside, what the fuck kind of cheap, undrinkable pisswater did you buy that for the duration of a fucking party, not one person dared touch? 30 units. Not one consumed.

You make me shudder with second-hand embarrassment.

Depends on the party. If it was BYOB, I'd have sent them a cactus and told them to go fuck themselves with it. If they specifically asked you to bring something as a contribution, maybe you shouldn't have taken it all home. If nothing was said about bringing a contribution, they're twats and I'd just ignore them and not go back again.

>Got a nasty text the next day.
Yeah, no. There's nothing wrong with taking your own fucking property with you when you leave after kindly making it available to share for a night.
Fuck that person. Literally the only reason to want it after the party is over is so they can use it themselves.

In a setting with people who aren't greedy fucks, its almost a chore to divvy up leftover food and such, because whoever takes (or is left with) leftovers is gonna be stuck eating that shit for days and days on end.

we don't have enough information here to make a qualified decision. My knee jerk reaction is if you bring a thirty to a party and none if it was drank, you didnt shotgun enough beers

Haha reminds me of a time when old mate brought a 6 pack of great tasting beers
>At a Christmas party 2 years ago
>Barrel full of ice and coronas
>In walks old mate with a 6 pack
>Tells everybody that his 6 pack of beers are great
>Puts em in the barrel
>Everybody drinks his great tasting beers
>See him scuba diving for his m.i.a great tasting beers
>Mfw I liked the coronas better

Me personally, I've been to drink ups where my case of beers/ciders that I bought hasn't been touched or 1 or 2 have been taken and I've left them there. I believe if you brought it for the party then it belongs to the party. But that's just me, I'm not hating if you wanna take what you brought back its only fair.

What did the text say?

While I agree with most of the posters here, I don't get why some feel that what you bring should be left as a "thank you" to the hosts.

If they don't want to clean up, don't have a party. The minute that you do something for someone and expect something in return, it becomes a selfish act. If they felt entitled to your 30pack of beers, maybe that's what they should have drank at the party.

A nasty text about what? I don’t know any situation where this is grounds for the host to complain. It is generally acceptable and I’d argue, preferable unless there was some clear understanding it was meant as a gift from you to them.

>Go to party
>Bring bottle of vodka
>Nearing the end of the night
>Bottle is unopened
>"Guess I'll just take this home then"
>OMFG YOU POOR FAGGOT HOW DARE YOU HOVER OVER IT LIKE A HAWK JUST TO TAKE HOME WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU
???

This if you were drinking beers they provided. If this was some sort of potluck of beers then I would’ve expected you to take yours back in however much was left (unless only a couple).

This. I mean was OP the only one who brought stuff? How much space does the host have for every to leave what they brought?

I second this

I don’t know of party etiquette one way or another.

I really think that the understanding beforehand is what matters. If you hosted a nice dinner party and a guest brought a bottle of wine and said “Here, I brought this for you. Perhaps you would like to enjoy it during dinner?” Then it would be clearly intended as a gift and you would be a dick to take it when you leave.

If you went to the same party and said “This is my favorite wine. I brought it from home because I thought it would complement our meal nicely” then it isn’t explicitly a gift and you would be justified to take it home with you.

Jesus christ, my inner monologue grew a fedora just by reading this.

THIS. Why would you want everyone else’s leftovers?!

It's fine to leave the 30 pack if the host intends to invite you to the subsequent gathering where it would be consumed.

Same rules apply if you brought it home, you're expected to bring it out to the next gathering with the same group of people.

Basically, it has been allocated to the communal pot and is expected to be shared among the same group of people. It doesn't matter who hangs on to it or where it's kept, as long as it is available at the next gathering.

>Taking a 30-pack
It was probably shit tier beer.
You did them a favor.
You should send them a picture of you pouring it all out

Basically it said "that was a real cheap dick move you pulled tonight"

No, it's not okay to take back what you brought, and you're a dumbass for bringing that much in the first place, why would you buy 30 beers when you're the guest, not the host?

Yeah, the person who sent you this was probably some kind of communist.

You brought the beer, so naturally (to them), it belongs to your host rather than still being your own fucking property.

Are you the guy that used to post threads about taking Tupperware containers of food home from parties you went to?

The only post that matters in this thread, everyone else is a virgin

I also help clean in the morning if it was a friends party

OP should have walked in, skulled 2 beers stone cold style and started chucking beers to everyone in site like some drunk santa.

Instead you skulked in, tucked your beer unopened in some dark corner, drank everyone else's beer, and then slunk out with your unopened case like some kind of rat-fuck to go drink alone at home. Sad!

Yes, it is fine to take your own leftovers home.

>Got a nasty text the next day.

Get better friends. We do that all the time, unless someone else wants it and voices that. If you leave far before anyone else, then there can be a problem with that.

It varies. A bottle of wine or less then a six pack of beer one would leave at a party. If you brought over your liquor stash to make drinks then of course you take your stash with you.

A lot varies on when you leave too. If you are packing things up after a party it is a lot note acceptable then in the module of a party.

Most important is your relationship with party thrower. If they are always with a stick up their ads then fuck em

Unless you only drank tap water you essentially came to the party with no beer and took beer from everybody else.

Shalom my Jewish brother.

OP and party host are all low class schlubs...

If something comes in a 30 pack, it's shit. OP is low class for bringing a piece of shit to a party. That's why no one drank it. Fucking natty lite probably. And the host was low class for complaining about it. We always offer the leftovers back to the bringers at the end of the party, and if no takers (usually not, they're better class than OP) we offer it to anyone who wants it. Then whatever is left we just keep.

The Virgin Home Alone Beer Skulker vs The Chad Booze Santa

As a Canuk where alcohol is fucking expensive maybe the rituals are different but shit is typically byob, its your beer until you leave if you came back to take it you would be a jew

Yes, I am why?