Why is there something rather than nothing?

why is there something rather than nothing?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Does_the_World_Exist?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there isn't. you're lying to yourself about having a self and the capacity to lie.

The only reality in which you can ask this question is a reality where there is something.

I see the's responses to this question a lot. Read it again, he is not saying 'prove that there is something as opposed to nothing', rather 'assuming that we agree that there is something ad opposed to nothing, why is this the case'

>why
you failed

what the fuck kind of stupid reply is that

Your question implies the whole of reality is based on something besides itself, that is to say, that past "events" have determinating power over present ones (and these over future ones), when reality seen as a whole would not make a separation between causes and effects, and so their relationship would work both ways. What this (likely) would imply is that what you want is not this knowledge but a principle on which you can control or determine the future, as an escape from the present, as clouded by the past; therefore you're working under the assumption that things have to be "easy", or that they need to be reduced to their very basic truths to be true, when in reality difficult/ease (or potential/actual) is a matter of dimension, and reality does not operate on what is easy or not.

Brainlet, please

KEK

There is both something and nothing.

what if "nothing" is also something

what is REALLY difficult? not difficult from our perspective, but from divine perspective, difficult-idea perspective?

so god can punish you for sinning

how could there even coherentely be an answer to this question?

it kind of pressupsos that there was nothing, and from it, and for a reason, something came. why you ask? why did it come?

well, for there to be a reason, something would have to exist (a reason is something), and so it wouldn't be coherent. there can literally be no reason for something coming from nothing (because the reason for that somrthing comeing from nothing is itself something, which leads to a regress).

why is there something *instead* of othing?

this question too, seems incoherent to me. it's like it treats nothing like a state of being. like an either/or, two states in which nothing to one side and being to the other. of course this is nonsense, "nothing" is a concept bound with a human culture and language, and history. you're treating nothing like a 'thing' that exists outside of human experience, practices and minds.

reasons are a result of the worlds being. reasons existing within the context of human conversation/questioning, which the world produced. you're trying to apply this to where it's incoherent (before the world, before language, before culture and questions)

the world is absurd and it's necessary inexplainable, turtles all the wsy down

Wrong question.

You're going at it wrong. You're conceptually zigzagging like a motherfucker. Change "difficult" with any other polar category; for example, what is really hard or big? You think the divine would measure up the whole universe and find the one biggest/hardest thing. That's not how it works: the divine would accept all the perspectives of the world, even those that completely left out others in scope. What you percieve as soft or hard is only so from your perspective, with the organism you are, from the center of consciousness from which you try to escape. The truth is that reality is stupidly gradual; the mind can make it infinitely so as seen in Achilles and the Tortoise.

"The wise man looks into space and does not regard the small as too little, nor the great as too big, for he knows that, there is no limit to dimensions." [Zhuangzi]

Now if you're asking what the thing labelled as difficulty is, it's a bit more complicated, but it comes down to, I think, expectations and experience with a certain object, the receptivity one has to it, the luck factor, and so on.

Say I try my hand at the bass one day, without much care. Not knowing exactly what I'm doing, I have some fun, have some vision of how I could improve, but ultimately leave it at that one test. Now having done this, I wouldn't consider playing the bass mesmerizingly difficult. That doesn't mean I would belittle it, but I would think if I routinely went at it I could get to a more-or-less decent level. It wouldn't be so "difficult". Now, the funny thing is that an advanced bass player *could* be mesmerized by what a genius bass player does!--because he has no way to get around how he does it. But to me, the post-pseud, the genius bass player is one among hundreds who I recognize as a better, so I can enjoy him all the same. (Not to say the advanced couldn't enjoy him; but that kind of thing often turns to fanaticism; which is not that bad a thing so long as it doesn't get out of hand.)

I fucking love Tame Impala

Read the first few sentences of the Bible?

What the fuck kind of stupid reply is that

Because nothing cannot be.

Hilarious that /mu/ used to love them and then as soon as normies found out about them they acted like they never did

A random quantum fluctuation in the fields.
Next question?

"Nothing" is an abstract concept that has nothing (heh) to do with reality. You ask this question because it's a human mode of thought to think in dichotomies (up - down, left - right, am - am not, existence - non-existence) but just because you can imagine what "nothing" is like doesn't mean it's relevant to our universe. You might as well ask why unicorns don't exist, the logic behind your question being "I can imagine them, but they don't seem to exist, there must be a reason for this". I hope I don't need to explain why the question doesn't make sense.

fields are something

They aren't.

nothing is a spook of your brain, there can only be something

Nice dubs.

Has anyone else been kind of surprised that we haven't seen much "quantum" bullshit spouted at all, over the last few decades? I always figured that was all set up to be the next great scientism buzzword. You could say "quantum" and then just vomit words out of your mouth and the average layman would eat it up. But it feels like that hasn't happened. Am I misinformed? Naive?

Quite the opposite, really. Quantum consciousness, quantum computing, quantum immortality, quantum information, quantum imaging, quantum of solace, quantum leap, just to mention a few. Also, a lot of people try to make "smart" jokes about Schrodinger's Cat. This very day I found someone on Veeky Forums who did it and gave him a lecture about his own stupidity. See:
For your own good I recommend studying at least the basics of QM, including the formulas, (I apologize if I'm mistakenly assuming that you haven't already) to avoid falling prey for that kind of pseudo-scientific bullshit.

Google Anthrophic Principle, you will understand that he gave you the only correct answer.

The OP asked WHY not HOW.

The poster gave you the why but I doubt anyone on Veeky Forums has a clue what the hell he's talking about (including myself).

i find the more interesting question is why are we so obsessed with asking these big unsolvable questions and pondering reality and doing generally stonerish stuff like watching OP's gif

strange behaviour for an animal

fuck going on Veeky Forums was a mistake I need to read more books because I can't understand any of this

you're anigger is why

There is nothing. It's something that's in question. Something needs clarifying

>Your question implies the whole of reality is based on something besides itself, that is to say, that past "events" have determinating power over present ones (and these over future ones), when reality seen as a whole would not make a separation between causes and effects, and so their relationship would work both ways.

What part of his question implied that projectard?

Yea read a bit more and understand that anons response was retarded and completely irrelevent to op's question

Clarify "something"

There is no answer to why, it just is.

>turtles all the wsy down

John?

Look up Heidegger's Being and Time

In science we have to be particularly cautious about 'why' questions. When we ask, 'Why?' we usually mean 'How?' If we can answer the latter, that generally suffices for our purposes. For example, we might ask: 'Why is the Earth 93 million miles from the Sun?' but what we really probably mean is, 'How is the Earth 93 million miles from the Sun?' That is, we are interested in what physical processes led to the Earth ending up in its present position. 'Why' implicitly suggests purpose, and when we try to understand the solar system in scientific terms, we do not generally ascribe purpose to it.

One thing is certain, however. The metaphysical 'rule', which is held as an ironclad conviction by those whom I have debated the issue of creation, namely that "out of nothing nothing comes," has no foundation in science. Arguing that it is self-evident, unwavering, and unassailable is like arguing, as Darwin falsely did, when he made the suggestion that the origin of life was beyond the domain of science by building an analogy with the incorrect claim that matter cannot be created or destroyed. All it represents is an unwillingness to recognize the simple fact that nature may be cleverer than philosophers or theologians.

Forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today.

Shut the fuck up you atheist retard

>universe #36837875 round #49 (in caveman linear notation)
>allows mere local intelligence.. again
>literally zero knowledge beyond itself
>can't synthesize hyperdong semiconductor because physical constants too slow and fat for even basic dong
>literally TOO AMERICAN to ever have enough space to calculate trajectory of itself
>will never break the information barrier
>doesn't even know the first 763 gods of triangular reverse causality
>thinks Hegel is philosophy
Give up

Heidegger just uses phenomenology and a clever use of language to hide from the fact that he's turning nothing into a thing.

Plato already addressed this question. We really can't speak of nothing. The moment we do we reify it and make it into something.

>Something happened
>Intent may be involved

While this is true, are you simply assuming that every possible world is attempted or gets a try? This is by no means a lesser assumption than theism.

The multiverse is not real. It is the potential direction we can or could have taken this world.

most reddit post I've ever seen

please, die

I hope this is bait
let people make jokes

There no such thing as nothing. To determine nothing there has to be something. And that is why there is something rather than nothing.

Quality post

YOU WILL NEVER COME CLOSE TO HOW I FEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

The
>why

To answer your question requires relativistic terms: I can only discuss nothing in terms of something, and something in terms of nothing; they are poles of the same thing (like hot and cold are an expression on a spectrum of the presence of heat?) - so, to discuss nothing vs. something, it would necessitate a discussion about what they are actually measurements of. However, the real problem you'll run into is that this is a pointless discussion because you aren't even discussing "nothing," you're discussing the abstract concept of it - which is something - so you are actually talking about something vs. something; which is a waste of time.

what makes you think there actually is something?

I think therefore I am.

Using thought as proof of existence seems anthropocentric. The statement "I think therefore I am-"
First sets the conditions of existence then proves itself thereupon.

>I
First sets the condition of separate existence
>Think
Sets the self apart from the condition of let's say... a tree.
>I
Again
>Am
To be

The issue here is that Descartes isn't trying to prove his existence, he's trying to validate a separate existence from the world experienced. If he would have just accepted that he isn't special for having an intellect, that the intellect is more than likely just a more complex and convoluted way of performing the same task as the rest of nature, then he could have been satisfied with existence without ever speaking. However, what you see in Descartes's philosophy is an attempt to overcome the problem of intellect: that there is a limit to what can be measured, therefore one will eventually find a void, a gap in what can be thought of as meaningful, a place where language will not suffice to verify one's existence - most religions try to verify this "zero point" of measurability by referring to it as God or The Void or Krisna Consciousness or Anima or Allah or...you get it.

I guess I'm just trying to say that Descartes was just insecure, and it was important to him that he "be."

You guys should check out:

Why Does the World Exist?: An Existential Detective Story
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Does_the_World_Exist?

I read it a year ago and it was great, it is a tour of modern thinkers pondering this question.

Expand on that

>asking Veeky Forums this question
Go to Veeky Forums if you want a real answer. Short answer: the Big Bang.

Only a retard would go there so it sounds like you were talking to a fellow of yours.

I know nothing about philospohy and ignored all the other replies to this thread, but let me break this down in the simplest way possible:

>rather than nothing
This part of the sentence is just meant to distract you. "Why is there something rather than nothing" is effectively the same question as "why is there something," since if there were not something then of course there would be nothing.

We now have this question:
>why is there something
Already this should sound like a ridiculous question. Asking "why is there X" is the same as asking "why does X exist." When X is "something," then our question is "why does something exist." The only alternative to existing is not existing, and so "omething" exists by definition, as opposed to "nothing," which by definition does not. "Something" could not possibly not exist, because if it didn't exist it would be "nothing." The whole idea is tautology.

However, this question has become interesting again recently: there are philosophers who would dispute some of these claims, and if you're really into bullshit I would recommend looking into that

There is something being lied to, therefore there is something.

well what is the difference between something and nothing? faggot

in order for there to be truly nothing, nothing mustn't exist either, in order for nothing to not exist, something must exist

Over an infinite amount of time, something is likely to happen.

They are

why does time exist

>a clever use of language
>glossing over heidegger by offing him as clever

Why would you sell yourself short like that. Yes it's difficult, but he's really unpacking the most basic and obvious of subjects. Sein Und Zeit was written in 23? Niggers had a long time to clarify his topic in simpler terms and prove he was guilty of obfuscation and although great efforts were made, his work and its influence continues to build momentum and I predict we have yet to really confront the the impact of this old German mans studies. What heidegger accomplishes, in terms of clarification, is beyond the scope of any thinker before him (Lao tzu) or after him (Fritz Perls). I always return to heidegger. Even when I go off and study Lacan, or Plato or Hegel, Heidegger and his initial questioning remain looming over thought itself. It's crazy to even think about. I contemplated learning German specifically to read him in the original. His concepts of being and worldhood are being taught now at MIT with engineers trying to construct artificial intelligence. His findings are now the bedrock of the study of what it means to be intelligent itself.

You are literally cutting yourself off from the heroin of the philisophical world. Maybe you need time. Read around. But trust me when I say that it's not just cleverness.

I think therefore I am

Anyone wanna touch my poip?

This, because a lot of you are struggling with the basics (and probably don't plan on reading any primary sources on this concept in your lifetime).

there is no reason to go on /mu/ for anything other than recommendations

Why should there be nothing?

By that logic why should there be anything?

I don't know.

The existence of something is self evident, like this poster highlighted
This question wouldn't be possible to ask of there were nothing and only nothing, since nothing implies the absence of everything and this question is already in itself something, whether it be real or an illusion

The big bang doesn't answer this question at all
If the big bang were the beginning of everything, then before that there was an infinite amount of time of nothing in which another big bang could have also taken place, and probably has. How can we know there was only one, ours?

>before the big bag there was nothing
>therefore there was nothing to prevent nothing from becoming something

Haha, you brainlets need to learn how to syllogistically derive universal truths through abstraction

Is the real more valuable than the fake, in the case that the fake imitates the real better than the real itself? Why?

that's why I posted it in here.

The idea of the big bang that created our universe being the absolute beginning of everything simply doesn't make any sense, and many of the people I know who study science don't even believe this

If before the big bang there was an infinite time of nothing, then there is no reason for there not to have been also an infinite amount of big bangs before ours

I don't know why I bothered responding seriously though since you're just going to post some shitty normie tier meme response

your delusional desu

There can't be an infinite time of nothing since time can't exist within nothingness.

Very flawed argument, your type is more suited for I wish you luck, brainlet.

To affiliate with the truth instead of the fake leads to a reassurance.
The fake either reflects, subverts, scrambles, or removes the real.
What comes from that which isn't what it's meant to be?
You could have different purposes for believing in the false instead, but those are often identified as lackluster approaches.
With involvement of the fake, you must accept, else the returns aren't as genuine as the genuine. With the real, you may change it into another form surpassing the fake.

I suppose the fake will always be there, for the appeal is accessibility and ease. To maximize different outsets, it's better to be in search.

upvote xD

Nice blog but I've read a ton of Heidegger. Husserlian intentionality and Heidegger's clever use of language allow him to make you think he's not reifying nothing.

In a similar way you can't actually achieve authenticity because after reading Heidegger you're just thinking in his terms. It would be better to never have read him and make just hung around him or done acid in the woods. Reading Heidegger cucks you out from achieving his project.

Now read Max Scheler.

>His concepts of being and worldhood are being taught now at MIT with engineers trying to construct artificial intelligence

lmao you realize heidegger believed AI isnt possible, right?

Fucking dogmatic retards and natural scientists in this thread I swear. I will now answer OP's question correctly. Reality as perceived by human beings is affected by causality. There is a set of mathematical formulas representing our something. If you knew those and had enough time on your hands you could calculate arbitrary points in what we call time and come up with exactly what you perceive. The point is what happens in this system doesn't need someone to do calculations, it simply is. There are probably other somethings existing outside of our perceived universe and there are probably parts of our own universe we can't see (read: alternative timelines).

>I will now answer OP's question correctly
>proceeds to not answer OP's question

'nothing' is something you fucking dualist.

Why? You're presuming too much.

Everyone in this thread is. Fucking brainlets I swear.

Dude like what if like *hits bong* like reality just can't like dude be comprehended like *hits bong once more* what if our brain doesn't have the ability to understand how it be

fuckin brainlets am i right lol

>Everyone in this thread is presuming too much
>There is a set of mathematical formulas representing our something

Really makes you think.

>fucking dogmatic retards
>is dogmatic

Mathematics is dogmatic horsepiss.

No, just you and the other STEMspergs.

You are still presuming an existence.