How about a bookshelf thread? Rate and recommend a book

How about a bookshelf thread? Rate and recommend a book.

I've got that nausicaa edition, pretty decent though I wish they were properly bound and were cloth instead of paper.
What are the other miyazaki books like?

I... probably wouldn't be close friends with you.. acquaintances sure.. but everything from the weeb/nerd vibe to the total lack of books I'm interested in beyond the classics which don't signify much to even the rather repulsive design decisions which predominate in this book selection indicate to me a set of literary and cultural values with which I do not jibe and which I share very few of.. out of 10.

There pretty neat if you're interested in Miyazaki as a director. They're filled mostly with interviews and essays that he did around the time he was working on his films. Lots of magazine articles and such.

gay

Not terrible.

where shouls i shop for a small bookshelf? I am getting into reading books and want to start my collection

That depends on whether you aspire to be a pleb or a patrician. Do you really want the Veeky Forums-approved Patrician's Choice?

I just want a place to set my books that isn't too big and is study :)

Patrician's Choice

y/n ?

Choose your destiny

Can someone tell me why my photos that I am trying to post are too large a file size? How are you guys posting them?

Buy 6 planks of wood and make one.

very nice

Omg I love Raymond I always watch when it"s on haha
Yes I want to be a patrician! :)

Who's that mathematical logic book by? Is it any good?

I want that hammett. 7/10
Not a shelf. 0/10
8/10

Now my shit. 1 of 2

2 of 2

it's an old meme, newfriend.

How is the A New History of Western Philosophy? Is it a good intro material into the subject?

8, last

I've only read ~50 pages so far, I'm picking at it a little at a time while I read Proust. I like it a lot so far, and it seems to go into more detail than you'd think. I plan on finishing it before fully diving into philosophy.

Jean Rubin. It's not bad, but I don't have much to compare it to.

>it's an old meme, newfriend.
I'm not a meme, I'm a real boy.

These, my two favorite possessions, are not pictured on the shelf because they're locked away.

You need a few more shelves, bud. 6/10.

You sound so reddit

That's incredibly colorful collection.
Makes me want to read.

>Tfw I've only read four books, currently reading my fifth

Very nice

And you've got the motherfucking Exegesis of PKD. Most impressive.

Love your collection, but what's with the ugly ass bookshelf?

This is also great - and you have the Exegesis too

It's the only book I want which I don't particularly want to read, at least not right now. I just feel like I should have it.

Bought it in a rush as the one I had before it started to collapse from the tomes. It's sturdy, so I like it, but I'm about to buy another, nice one to hold the extras on my dressers/in drawers, and scattered around.

Why are you hiding that boxset of 2666?

what bookshelf is that? i like it

Ikea Billy

planks of wood and some cinder blocks

Pensees
And
This is your brain on music

Why do you have multiple editions of so many books? Including two seemingly identical M&Ds...

The M&D on it's side was the one I read. I bought it for a dollar at Goodwill. It had a huge water stain inside and is overall pretty fucked up. The one on the dresser is a 1st printing, as are the rest of the hardcover Pynchons. If there's a hardcover and a paperback of any book, the hardcover is a good 1st, and a few are signed.

Origami bookshelf. Don't have to assemble it. It folds out. Or worry about moths attracted to the wood.

whew lad

if you were as patrician as your collection suggests you would build your own bookshelf

interesting

I'm working on it now, actually, with my dad (though he's doing most of the work, I'm trying to learn). It's really small though, so it'll only be for my very favorites. Only about half of my books are pictured, and my wife has about half as many as I do. We need as many bookshelves as possible

Basically if I love a book and it becomes a favorite, I try to find a nice 1st printing of it, and signed if it's reasonable. I only started doing this recently, as I got a raise and started a second job. I used to only have a bunch of paperbacks from goodwill.

Pretty jealous of your collection. How much do you think it has all cost?

I try my best not to think too hard about that. Quite a bit man. I almost have the collection I always wanted, but it's not a cheap hobby. I'd rather buy books I will cherish than anything else, though. Just to put it in perspective, there are 4 books in there that combine to 1,300 by themselves -- but the rest of them I found great deals on. I won that Mason & Dixon 1st for literally 4 dollars on eBay because I was the only bidder. That's the way to go about collecting, keep an eye on ebay. Sometimes people have no idea what they have, sometimes nobody else notices a posting and you snag a great book for cheap.

What's Periodic Table about? Would you recommend it?

Also what''s up with Gay and Catholic? What's that supposed to be about?

Holy shit
>this

That's a THICC Aeneid

Should I read The Urth of the New Sun after The Book of the New Sun, or is it a waste of time?

How do I into Philip K. Dick?

Is that a good version of the Edda?

>How do I into Philip K. Dick?
Library of America has a 3 volume set

R8

Shouldn't I read some book to see if I like his writing first?

I don't think I should start with such a large collection.

I give you 4 Skull 'n' lightning bolts etched on a 80's Trapper Keeper out of 10.

Start with earliest volume. Four novels of the 60's. If you don't like that, go no further.

Delicious

Usually UBIK, The Man in the High Castle, A Scanner Darkly, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I think A Scanner Darkly is his best intro

I haven't read the Edda just yet but it will be my next read.

Nice stacks user. Jealous of that bottom shelf. Have you read Mann yet? I just finished The Magic Mountain and it fucking blew me away

That's about what I was thinking

Okay, sounds good.

Cool. 3 out of 4 of those are contained in what the other user suggested.

>I haven't read the Edda just yet but it will be my next read.
Okay, cool. I'm a little bit confused on how it works. Is the Edda the same as the Poetic Edda? Or is it the Prose Edda, or both?

Just pissing away money.

Poetic Edda and Prose Edda are different compilations as far I am aware. Maybe some of the stories repeat itself (in different versions or not), but I am pretty sure that there is original content in both.

Forgot to show why

>Da Vinci code dead centre

start with do androids dream of electric sheep. It's arguably his most famous work and it's an easy read.

not bad m8

What about The Man in the High Castle?

How are you liking The Familiar series?

I've read the first 3 so far. It's surprisingly good, but the first one kinda sucks without the context of the next two, so it's hard to get into. It's inventive, funny, and genuinely touching at times. It's absolutely gimmicky, but I think he does it right. I like it more than House of Leaves after finishing the 3rd one.

Is Nix good?

I haven't read it yet. That hc is signed so I just picked up that pb so I can have a reading copy. I am reading Proust now so it'll be a while.

Don't go breaking my heart...

>How do I into Philip K. Dick?
A Scanner Darkly is a great introduction to PKD. That would be my first recommendation. Other possible good first PKD books are The Man In The High Castle (if you like your alternative history stuff), or Ubik (if you don't give any shits and want to jump straight into the crazy). Do not - do *not* - start with VALIS. But once you've read a few PKD books, if you like him, you really really must read VALIS.

>Should I read The Urth of the New Sun after The Book of the New Sun, or is it a waste of time?
It's not a waste of time if you're interested in what happens next and want to learn about the world in more depth. However, I agree with the advice of another user in that you should re-read the New Sun before moving onto Urth. I think that after completing the New Sun, if you enjoyed it, that's what you'll want to do anyway.

My second read-through of the Book of the New Sun was one of the most rewarding literary experiences of my life (and I hadn't read Urth).

>lupin figures
kinda jelly

what's with the toothbrush

Where do you get hardbacks like this?

those are the Barnes and Noble editions; faux leather and crappy designs. Matched only in their plebby pretention by the Penguin clothbound ones.

>owning 2 (two) copies of IJ

Just got the 1st edition hc, couldn't resist. Want my paperback, friend?

Completely judging someone by their taste in books is childish. Even if they read trash.