Is there anything interesting from the Medieval period of Western philosophy to cover...

Is there anything interesting from the Medieval period of Western philosophy to cover? Or is it virtually all theological stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/modality-medieval/
plato.stanford.edu/entries/semiotics-medieval/
documentacatholicaomnia.eu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ockham

Theology is interesting.

>Or is it virtually all theological stuff?

Dude everything from Plato all the way up through Hegel is theological, thats how philosophy was and still is in many cases.
You need to learn to be able to be a more nuanced reader if you can't see the vast philosophical implications that speaking of religion has that trascends the secular-theological divide. In the end its still equally about love, life, ethics, power, metaphysics, meaning and the mind

upgrade your bait detection software please

For every bait post there's ten retards who will visit the thread and actually share the opinion

I don't know, I did enjoy opinion

I don't find it particularly interesting
I don't see Hegel or Kant as primarily religious or theological, even if they were Christian/religious it seems secondary to the nature of their fundamental work(s) for the most part, not the primary focus of it.

I don't think he meant that religion is the primary focus of such philosophers, but that theology and philosophy overlap so much due to their shared ancestry and ultimately their shared goals.

Shitloads of semiotics and logic. Interesting stuff too. Generally considered now that some of them probably created modal logic a few hundreds before modal systems in the 1960s popped up, but it went un-noticed and ignored because they didn't explain it very well.

Lots of early naturalist philosophy before renaissance and early moderns as well. Mostly monks.

Still theology-influenced, but interesting political philosophy. Dante's political philosophy would be worth reading.

> Generally considered now that some of them probably created modal logic a few hundreds before modal systems in the 1960s popped up, but it went un-noticed and ignored because they didn't explain it very well.
What book(s)/writing(s) could I find this in?
Also yes, some of the political philosophy from the Italians is interesting.

>What book(s)/writing(s) could I find this in?

From my reading lists:

>books

The Cambridge Companion to Medieval Logic by Novaes

Introduction to Medieval Logic by Broadie

Articulating Medieval Logic

Epistemic Logic in the Later Middle Ages

Modalities in Medieval Philosophy

Medieval Modal Systems: Problems and Concepts

Ton of others on list, but that should get you started.

>papers/sep

Why Don’t Mediaeval Logicians Ever Tell Us What They’re Doing? Or, What Is This, A Conspiracy?

plato.stanford.edu/entries/modality-medieval/

plato.stanford.edu/entries/semiotics-medieval/

Then you could read translations of main philosophers that would be mentioned in above books.

You'll never fully grasp Hegel and Kant if you don't read their theology. I absolutely disagree with your notion its a secondary component, if anything its the central core

>there are still kids studying philosophy who don't recognize that to the greatest philosophers, theology just IS the study of "everything"

Everybody here is talking about philosophy, but OP seems to be interested in something else, actually.

There's a lot of good poetry from the Medieval period, people don't read it just because it's quite obscure. Learn a bit of Latin and start lurking around here: documentacatholicaomnia.eu/

How do I get Tradical to join my discord?

>Or is it virtually all theological stuff

You should look a little deeper at Aquinas. The guy wrote about everything.

>but OP seems to be interested in something else, actually.
>Is there anything interesting from the Medieval period of Western philosophy to cover?

This is going off my haze recollection of the history of philosophy podcast without any gaps.

Lots of philosophers just wrote about natural philosophy where you just assumed things worked as normal without and divine miracles cocking things up.

the distinction between philosophy and theology is largely rhetorical, mostly so that monotheistic religions wouldnt outright ban the strange, foreign discipline. besides, all philosophy, at one point or the other, must tackle the question of the divinty as if philosophy is to be philosophy, i.e. the desire to know the whole while still remaining fundamentally a part of the whole, it must find a way to transcend the particulars. what thing is this, if it even is and if it even is a thing, but god?

now go read plato's phaedrus.

Theology deals with the revealed truths, philosophy with truths of reason. How is that rethorical?