What does Veeky Forums think about Terry Pratchett? Prolific writer but seemingly not as appreciated as King...

What does Veeky Forums think about Terry Pratchett? Prolific writer but seemingly not as appreciated as King. Is he not tight and solid in terms of content?

He's more insightful and complex than King. This kills the normie.

I love him, but can't read his stuff. I don't fucking know why. I have, 5 or 6 books of his, but I've only been able to read THUD!! in it's entirety. Maybe I'm only in love with the concept of him.

His stuff is simply more niche than King

He's really cool. I loved night watch and reaperman.

I don't read him because he's been labelled genre fiction. However, truthfully, there are so many better, more thoughtful, witty, abd worthwhile writers. If you are a pleb, ie your reading level is on par with the general population, then sure, read pratchett.

love him but I don't read literature, just sf/fantasy/crime fiction

Usually can't get into fantasy. Genuinely enjoyed everything I've read of him. Highly recommend anything in which Death is a main character, especially Mort, Reaper Man, and to a lesser extent, Soul Music.

he writes some good characters but I find his prose gets so tedious and repetitive after a while. Plus he recycles a lot of his jokes with slight tweaks from book to book

that said, I've read all of discworld bar the last one so he must be alright

Excellent stylist, but his novels never dig deeply into their themes.

>I don't read him because he's been labelled genre fiction
Patrician detected

I'd rate him among the foremost living genre fiction authors, quality of prose alone sets him well above plebs like King and gurrm.

Tbch I've always felt King was stunningly bad, but Ive mostly read his older "classic" work so maybe he got better over time

I havent read him since I was 15, but I read basically all of his books before then. Great stuff, really great style of fantasy that focuses on creating a world rather than wanking over stupid details (like for instance Tolkien). Every novel creates a new world based in the same universe so it never gets stuck in telling the same old story. Also its constantly humorous, but its mostly for basically children so I really wouldnt recommend it to anyone whose an adult; then again, i would never recommend any fantasy novels for adutls.

but user, wanking over stupid details (in a stupid way) is what pratchett does so well

Nope

yep

He's dead

>I don't read him because he's been labelled genre fiction

Show your work on this one, please

I've liked everything I've read by him. Keeps things short, sweet, and interesting. Also the only author to make footnotes witty.

He's excellent. I think he's one of those authors that made me realize you don't have to write literature to write a good novel.

>I don't read him because he's been labelled genre fiction.

Ah yes, the sign of an intelligent man, letting the masses decide what he can and can't read.

OP here. I think I want to start with Reaper Man since I've heard Death is an interesting character and you really don't have to read the Disc World books in a particular order?

What are some other books that can be read autonomously or you would recommend?

google discworld reading order