Recent Purchases

Post recently purchased books.

Anything good for late summer/early autumn reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0764351907/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502700383&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Soviet Combat Divers of WW2&dpPl=1&dpID=51kN2Z-wwML&ref=plSrch
goodreads.com/book/show/236793.The_Exploration_of_the_Colorado_River_and_Its_Canyons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nothing too exciting, I finished the Iliad a week ago and enjoyed it enough to warrant the purchase of the Odyssey, plus it was only $3.50 at Chapters. I was also surprised to find For My Legionaries at a downtown liberal bookstore, I look forward to reading it. Additionaly, I recently bought and read Storm of Steel but I couldn't find it. Please don't be too harsh, I grew up in a plebeian Philistine environment and only recently embarked on the Veeky Forums path.

Nazi punks fuck off.

I'm probably further to the left than you faggot

antifa fuck off

Ayy I'm planning on buying that copy of For My Legionaries.

What are your impressions of it?

Check that translation of W&P

Not sure why I am excited but I am

i am too intimidated by Journey, i didn't think that was THAT big

Picked these up tonight.

Just ordered this
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0764351907/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502700383&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Soviet Combat Divers of WW2&dpPl=1&dpID=51kN2Z-wwML&ref=plSrch

hey cool I am from Münster, walk by the cages almost every day
The story of the Anabaptist is fuck up but kinda hilarious

If you've listened to the Dan Carlin Hardcore History episode about it you should be.

This is the first time in years I don't see only memes in a "recently purchased books" thread

inb4 Infinite Meme

>Lewis and Clark
how is that one?

I havent, this is the guy who wrote diary of a man in despair. ultra conservative monarchist who got got by the nazis

These are a few days away in the mail.
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century
Mere Christianity
The Brothers Karamazov
The Medieval Soldier

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I'm a scrub of some sort or other.

>A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century
Fantastic book

Haven't read that or A Month In The Country yet. Wanted to finish The Tempest first. I do recommend The Exploration of the Colorado River and It's Canyons by John Wesley Powell if you want something similar.
goodreads.com/book/show/236793.The_Exploration_of_the_Colorado_River_and_Its_Canyons

Good overall. I'd not read the Penguin edition of Leviathan though.

why not? he wrote it in english so it should be the same text as any other

A hardcover edition of Wealthy of National by Adam Smith.
A paperback edition of milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur (and is the version translated to portuguese, so the translator fixed Rupi's trash work)

Penguin editions are never really that good. Someone in a political philosophy thread a few weeks ago said to get the Oxford edition so I would suggest looking into that.

Nice Hawkes

Just because you read a book doesn't mean you adhere to the ideas. Unless you're an idiot, in which case you have no business reading at all.

Just ordered these
>The Silmarilion
>Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
>Hvite Niggere (Norwegian book)

Just getting into reading books so would really appreciate some recommendations or thoughts on the books I ordered.

I think it'd be better to start with The Hobbit and continue with LotR; the Silmarillion expands on that world from its beginning. It's a good read, not sure if it'll keep your interest if you're not invested in Tolkien's world though.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is good, you could keep up with Hell's Angels or the Rum Diary. Or perhaps some Philip K. Dick books. Check out the starter kit in the wiki as well.

I can't justify buying books when e-readers do exist. That is, at least books that are not rare..

Just got these puppies yesterday for 14 big ones.

I started with the Hobbit as a kid and reading the Silmarillion afterwards was so damn rewarding. I'd already formed this universe in my mind based on the Hobbit. Reading the bible of that universe ( which is what the Silmarillion basically is ) felt like everything I didn't know I wanted.

The story of Beren and Luthien is my favorite love story of all time and I will name my girl after Iluvatar's most beautiful child one day.

You are a huge cuck.

200 pages into this. Long, nice sentences with lot's of digressions, drifting between memories. Reminds me of Bolaño, both By Night in Chile and the first part of 2666, although without the creeping violence.

Godspeed, user!

Have you read Zone? I really liked that one.

Really like A Month In The Country, but I'm from the part of the world that it's set in, so it sort of had a semi-nostalgia factor for me

Not yet, but I'm definitely planning on. His writing feels so fresh.

Thinking of reading some of the stuff mentioned in the book: The Blind Owl by Hedayat, Danube by Magris, Thousand and One Nights (shamefully not yet read) and so on and so on.. I'm honestly noting stuff down every couple of pages.

>Hvite Niggere
>Niggere

The Blind Owl is great, except there's two English translations and one of them is not well regarded. I wish I could remember which one is the good one but google could probably tell you.

it was a good day

I just got these off my grandpa since he was clearing them out. Which should I start with?

Crime and Punishment. Also your grandpa is probably more patrician than you

Your grandpa is pretty well read.

He has 2 masters degrees in electronic engineering and theology. Probably more intelligent than most of my professors.

he probably takes dicks like a champ

>wasting 20 dollars on that
just pirate it tbqh

The First Philosophers since it's the Greeks.

Also, Arius looks interesting. What are your impressions of it?

Its literally just the public domain english text which he wrote and user's being a utter pseud

kek

> Penguin Editions are never really that good

Confirmed for full of bullshit.

Picked up these three today for $2 each. I'm very happy with the conditions and Stoner still has the price tag of $20 someone paid new and it is in perfect condition. Almost got Les Misérables since for $2 it would be a steal considering I live in an expensive non English speaking country and shipping costs for such a THICC book would be too much, however it had that terrible photographic cover and large messages proudly proclaiming that it was now a Major Motion Picture! I'll just have to get the faber and faber edition of Close Quarters off of abebooks.

Where are you from? Must be nice having secondhand english bookstores. I don't have such luxuries in my backwards-ass, culturally bereft country.

Switzerland. It's not an English secondhand store, but it has an English section.
Where are you from?

Flipping through first philosophers, it strikes me as more of a reference text.

As for Arius, will respond when I get chance to read through.

OWC tends to have better notes and extraneous info (intro, preface, etc) which can make the edition a more viable choice, but that comes down to personal preference. I would suggest getting the OWC for the notes, because while Hobbes did write in English, it's not the same as the english that you and I are using right now. It's beyond prose and can be annoying to read at times.

Penguin editions commit the most egregious sin that a book can commit. Bad aesthetics when they're sitting on your shelf. Since 90% of Veeky Forums doesn't actually read and only buys books to look cool I don't feel like this point can be contested.

>bad aesthetics when they're sitting on your shelf
>implying that's not one of the few things they have down
To be sure, you have to sort by publisher and in series inside of a given publisher's section like the German Reclam, Suhrkamp, dtv books, etc. books encourage (which is also the superior way to organise your personal library). When aligned properly they look perfectly fine unless their spine is cracked which is probably the case with many of your Penguin books, durability being a thing they don't have down.

>they look perfectly fine
>giant black mass or random black bars spread throughout your library shelves
fucking horrid taste bruh

Hope they're good.

The Gods Themselves isn't Asimov's best desu

The guy with the bookshelf of nothing but penguin paperbacks will kill you for saying that.

fair, good point but I 17th century english is very trying

It was an improtu trip to the book store today, ran out of shit to read and happened to be in a town with a store. I remembered seeing his name mentioned on here and went for it. I was wanting Roadside Picnic but I couldn't find it, just going to have to order it.

Ah, okay. There's still a lot of good parts in it, so it's still probably worth a read.

>guy
>bookshelf of nothing but penguin

Good, it's very rare that I find a book I can't enjoy. The last one I remember was some feminist bullshit in high school a couple years ago, basically the entire book was about a girl wanting to fuck around then killing herself because she couldn't. Good sci-fi is currently my favorite, or dystopic novels

L...l.. ondon?

I'm saying no self respecting man would have a bookshelf full of penguin
But you could prob fuck his boipucci

I wonder what percentage of books in these threads are actually read and ho many thousands of books have been taken off and dusted only to be photographed and returned?

like mathematically if we say 50% of Veeky Forums reads, and that's being very generous, can we then assue there are usually 100 images on average and about 200 critical replies each thread. and there are at minimum 4 threads a week. and each image probably contains about 10 books. and of the 50% of Veeky Forums that does read they probably only read half at most again that's being generous.

so if my math is correct that is 4000 books pictured a week and only about 100 will ever be read. Sad!

Not that guy, but that's a great translation

Just bought some undergarments because my previous ones ripped at the groin.

Actual question: Is Lovecraft that good?

he's pretty fun

Please, expand.

this

I mean there's not much more to say. Lovecraft is fun an pulpy. Yes he's somewhat influential, but not on anything outside of the largely pulp horror genre. Don't expect anything mind blowing with the themes or prose. It's just something fun to read.

I also enjoyed A Month In The Country (as an American). NYRB Classics are usually a safe bet, and I appreciated its meditation on the nature of art and the artist. At that time in my life I was engrossed in the philosophy of beauty and the book served an an interesting perspective. The ending was a little bittersweet for my tastes, but not so much that it hurts the overall experience. Wouldn't say it's a favorite but was a fun read.

Pick related is my most recent acquisition.

Pls tell me about Lewis and Clarke. Also, reminder that Lewis was murdered and his skull was stolen and then Thomas Jefferson covered it up and said it was a suicide.

>Is Lovecraft good?
Yes but I think Robert E. Howard is better.

Patty is great. I love "Time of Gifts."

p good
p bad
you have a cool granpap
how that mackie book

why is that brothers karamazov so t h i c c?

>The book with most wear is The Holy Quran

you're both faggots

Plato then Nietzsche.

He's got some spooky tales but he's not mind alteringly literary. No deep lessons about human nature, no wrestling with perennial problems, and his style is pretty pedestrian. May be nice to squeeze a couple stories in between your Shakespeare and Joyce if you need a break from profundity and poetry though.

Desert Solitaire is a good book, and if you already appreciate the outdoors and walking, it will make you feel so good about yourself

1/2

just returning from visiting an area with nice bookstores

2/2

mccullers is gooooood

Todays catch.

I got these following books:
>Fathers and Sons by Turgenev
>The Nonexistent Knight, Invisible Cities and Difficult Loves by Calvino
>The Plague by Camus
>Zorba the Greek by Kazantzakis

I started with the Nonexistent Knight which was my first Calvino; it started with a simple prose and story that feels comfy, then at certain points he wrote far more lyrically and expressively. The inner monologues of the characters were also great to read after some of the events. At short length, I think it could be a good starting point for Calvino for everyone.

I'll either read Fathers and Sons or Invisible Cities next (need to finish a Tolstoy short story collection first.)

In reality it is actually in one of the better states of those books. The worst is easily the iliad closely followed by the politics.