What are some books of epic high fantasy? Think ASOIAF, but better

What are some books of epic high fantasy? Think ASOIAF, but better.

it doesn't get any better than that tho

Book of the New Sun

Why must you torment me so with these Jezebels??

Near-ancient history, and the best part is it goes on for millenia, for hundreds of books. Thousands even.

I am going through epic high fantasies right now

pretty "girl," pity she's a trap

The Kalevala

Now you just turned temptation into raw desire

I find this claim doubtful.

Why are women so fond of fake smiles – why do they persist in playing out this jovial, tip-toed makeup persona?

Is this a new meme?

>pity

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Best fantasy this side of Tolkien. Epic scale both in depth and length. Way better world building, plot than GoT, and some of the best characters I have read. Also, no retard-level characters or plot-points, and doesn't read like it was written by a 15 year old - stylish and meaningful, all around beautifully written. Can't recommend it enough!

You can re-read it a number of times and still find new subplots in it. It's so good its actually scary..

This is why everyone hates malazan fanboys

Is The Wheel of Time considered high fantasy?

Yeah it is. I found Wheel to be worth reading even though Jordan had his repetitions and can drone on. If he had written the whole series with the same urgency as he did books 10 and 11 when he knew he was going to die it might be considered one of the greatest of all time. Also he wrote the final battle chapter which is like 500 pages long and that along was worth reading the other books.

Hyperion saga, book of the new sun, malazan. And the black company are all supposed to be God tier. Also not epic or high but I really like Brent Weeks night angel trilogy

Books of Samuel and Kings.

Because they've never read it and are too scared to, so they convince themselves the fans are exaggerating and criticize something rather than actually read it to find out for themselves? That's this board in a nutshell.

the bible

mythology, any

Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Listening to it on audiobook and it's amazing

But ASOIAF isn't high fantasy....

Yes it is. The distinction between high and low fantasy is whether or not the story takes place on Earth. The story of King Arthur is low fantasy because it takes place on Earth and it will always be low fantasy no matter how much magic the story teller includes. ASOIAF is high fantasy because it doesn't take place on Earth in any genuine sense.

Seems an autistic definition to me.

That's how Lloyd Alexander, the man who coined the term defined it. I don't know how people have gotten so mixed up over it.

Yes, but doesn't seem particularly useful as a definition.

Well that's what it is. If you don't like it don't use the terms and don't attempt to correct people who are using them correctly.

But there are no elves

Not that it matters but in ASOIAF there are. They're called the Children.

It's got a shit load of magic, one of the main characters is a hidden king, another has three fucking dragons, it's pretty high fantasy.

I was quite fond of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Just use the other hole. What's the problem?

But the fans really do write like retards who only read trash fantasy.

Care to expand on how? I'm not into fantasy anymore, haven't been for years, but this is the only series I still pan to revisit after having moved on to literary fiction. I'm assuming you haven't read it, but I'm hoping you can go into a little more detail on what you mean by that.

They have a severely limited vocabulary and speak about it like NGE fans talk about it.
I've read the first one, it was one of the worst novels I ever picked up.

He probably does not find men attractive.

No.

Low fantasy:
>Low fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction. In the study of fantasy literature, it has been defined as fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world. It thus contrasts with high fantasy stories, which take place in a fictional world with its own set of rules and physical laws.

Low key magic, "realistic"

High fantasy:
> High fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy,[1] defined either by its setting in a fictional universe or by the epic stature of its characters, themes, and plot.[2] The term "high fantasy" was coined by Lloyd Alexander in a 1971 essay, "High Fantasy and Heroic Romance" (originally given at the New England Round Table of Children's Librarians in October 1969).[2]

More epic, absurd shit can happen, mysterious and hero-related.

He found her attractive before finding out she had a penis. He does not find men attractive, therefore she is not a man.

That's not how essences work.

Then he finds men attractive.

Some men who deceive him into thinking they are women. The attraction is lost once he finds out because sexual attraction is tied to reproduction, meaning men like women and not men dressed as women.

If he finds the man attractive, he finds the man attractive.

Guy Gavriel Kay writes great historical fantasy
>The Finovar Tapestry
>The Sarantine Mosaic
>The Last Light of the Sun/The Lions of Al-Rassan
Check it out.

This. Wheel of Time would easily be Malazan-tier if it wasn't for the repetitive writing and grown adults acting like they're 8

The Chronicles Of Amber and everything else by Zelazny.

Ah, I see. Well, to be fair and for the sake of perhaps convincing you to continue, the first one is objectively bad. It's a poor representation of the rest of the series, and its style is not indicative of the following entries. I'd give the first one, in hindsight (context adds a lot) a 4/10, and every other novel in the series, for me, was above an 8/10. I doubt you'll continue, but it does get much better.

How do I get a gf like this?

You don't.

Why is this always the response when I pose that question?

Have you considered a career in the Starfleet? See the galaxy, meet women. Service guarantees citizenship.

>tfw you will was born before the discovery of FTL technology in order to porsue your highschool sweetheart across the galaxy while fighting hordes of aliens and "confraternizing" with a fellow soldier that is smoking hot, extreme athletic and mad in love with you

I blame the dark ages. We should be colonizing outside the solar system by now....

The fantasies of E.R. Eddison
The King of Elfland's Daughter, by Lord Dunsany
The Well at the World's End, by William Morris

try the black company first

if you like it, start malazan right after. (although you might want to read everything else first so it doesn't ruin your ability to enjoy other high fantasy)

If you don't mind some sci-fi too try red rising.

Disregard all prior comments.
Go and read the Kingkiller Chronicles

>essences are real
ok

the OP was just looking for some good advice, no need to be shitty

ASOIAF is Book of the Long Sun for plebs. You have to read Book of the New Sun first but it's more than worth it, and afterwards you have all you need to finish with Book of the Short Sun.

Go fucking back to /pol/ you fucking fucks fuck off my board fuckers FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>books 10 and 11

jesus christ, logorrhea much?

OP: Fritz Lieber's Swords books - i think there's about seven of them

Jack Vance's Lyonesse Trilogy

Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword

>Low fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction. In the study of fantasy literature, it has been defined as fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world
>High fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy,[1] defined either by its setting in a fictional universe
>No.
The very sources you quoted disagree with what you said.

prove it

the fuck are you talking about

ageru

damm you beat me to it

the books were co created with erikson's friend ian esslemont 20 years before the first series was written as duengons amd dragons type of role playing game

erikson also published about a 700 page book a year until the final book. a lot different than that fat neckbeard george rr martin