Who are some great australian writers? They can be pre or post independence

Who are some great australian writers? They can be pre or post independence

Other urls found in this thread:

home.alphalink.com.au/~radnat/stephensen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>australian
>great

Ok ok I get it, but whats the punchline?

Geoffrey Roberts, Robert Hughes, Nevil Shute, Manning Clark, Xavier Herbert, Michael Leunig, Bruce Dawes.

There isn't any, Richard Flanagan is okay and so is Tim Winton. Not great though. Also some Clarke guy, for the term of his natural life. But if you have no interest in convicts and stuff there isn't much on offer.

Skip

Greg Egan

Jennifer June Rowe

Aussie girls have the cutest accents. Tfw no Australian gf

Gerald Murnane is pretty good, and he's on the Nobel shortlist apparently.

>australian
>independence

The Plains by Gerald Murnane is pretty good. I plan to read more of his stuff.

Patrick White is a truly unique writer, Voss is a deeply strange and fascinating novel. If White were French or German he'd be much more widely read.

Poetry wise take Kenneth Slessor and Les Murray, they're OG tier.

>Richard Flanagan is okay and so is Tim Winton.

cam to post this

No one truly great. Australia isnt broad enough and way to niche to have anyone but Australians commenting on it, you aren't going to get anyone but people parroting their professor here. You aren't (due to the lack of size) going to get someone who has withstood vigour by actual academics or be cut down by learned working class non pompous suggested to you

John Leslie Mackie, Ethics and Miracle of Theism are both great.

Percy Stephensen (1901-1965)

Read his book god-damn it. Foundations of Culture in Australia.

Talks about how Australia's unique culture died prematurely in the early 20th century and pretty much predicts our cultural death in the face of multiculturalism in the 1970s and 80s.

home.alphalink.com.au/~radnat/stephensen/

These are some good recommendations.

Better off starting with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson though.

>wanting Australian anything
This country is full of horrible people. Someone please arrange to have me airlifted out of Melbourne followed by a tactical nuclear strike. This place is done.

Shit, any aus/pol/ poster could have told you that.

Read it m8. It's not a political analysis primarily. it's a literary analysis.

Tomorrow maybe. Need to sleep now. I have shit to do tomorrow as well but whatever, I don't like uni enough to desire good grades.

Just looked at that opening bit
>A Reasoned Case Against Semitism' (1940) written as war came to Australia, is of peculiar contemporary relevance in the situation imposed by the 2001 'War On Terrorism' as declared by the 'Western Alliance'. The discussion of the question of 'anti-semitism' is likely to have currency as Australia debates radical Islam, Zionism and Australia's foreign policy. We do not necessarily endorse Stephensen's article on any particular matter of opinion.
Okay
>We note too, that it was composed prior to the so-called 'Holocaust' which has stifled free discussion into the question.
wew. This might get interesting.

David Stove

Read his "Foundations of Culture in Australia" first. His description of Australian cultural cringe in the 30s is painfully familiar today.

Shitposting. Shitposting never changes.

oh ho

>Melbourne
I think I've spotted your problem, friend

The Australians that I've met in America seem pretty chill. They're even more extroverted than regular Americans.