Veeky Forums confessions and pet peeves

Veeky Forums confessions and pet peeves.

We all like to rant and groan, so here's a thread for it. Confess your sins.

I haven't read at least half of all the books I take part in discussing on Veeky Forums.

Probably more, but at least half.

When reading a book, if I see a word not properly printed (maybe a fleck of ink is missing to make the word incomplete) or if I see the paper is a little blotchy, I need to run my finger over it. I assume it's something I need to check - whether the blotch can be rubbed away or if the ink is so bad it comes off from a little rub. It rarely makes a difference but I need to do this everytime I notice it.

You know, most of us can tell people like you haven't read the book you're trying to discuss.

Not really. I find more people agreeing with than not. It's honestly going to my head and I'm starting to believe I might not have to read books to know them.

It hasn't fully taken hold in my brain yet, but it's certainly working its way in.

I think people need to stop putting Veeky Forums and /pol/ memes on facebook. It's embarrassing.

Same goes for people who post ironic-/pol/ shitposting. People can tell you're irritated rather than finding far right nutjobs funny. It hurts your cause more than you think.

I use social media for keeping in contact with old friends but it really is a cesspool and I'm this close to dropping it completely and living in the woods for the next two years.

That's because you're not the only one in the thread who hasn't read that book and you're caught within a whirlwind of pseuds who think they understood a text they never bothered to read.

Hmmm, I'll start a thread right now about a book I haven't read and I'll give my opinion on it.

Let's see.

Why even stick around here if you don't like to read or don't want to read? What do you get from scouring wiki pages on a book rather than just read them? Wouldn't you want to spend your time doing something more enjoyable or productive?

Genuinely don't understand people like you but unfortunately Veeky Forums is full of them.

Pet peeves from Veeky Forums philosophy:

People who dedicate their entire philosophical outlook on one philosopher e.g. Wittgenstein and Stirner.

People who treat philosophy solely as the history of philosophy, when there are ideas to be grappled with.

Most individuals doing philosophy outside philosophy departments, especially english lit, architecture, media theory. Some interesting theorists from these fields, but the undergrads and grads tend to be not just obnoxious but ignorant about philosophy.

People who treat philosophy as a sport's match between analytics and continentals.

Memes need to end.

There's nothing more Reddit than reposting the same image over and over haha what a rare pepe haha what an epic pepe haha russled your jimmies son haha trolled epic troll haha epic easy on the carrots bugs haha easy on the carrots my rabbit dude haha nice cool

See how obnoxious and irritating that is?

I have about 10 wish lists on Amazon with dozens of books in each, I'll never read even 1/10th of them

>have been on Veeky Forums since 2008
>have a read/to-read list with nearly thousands of books across a broad spectrum of topics
>every time I read a book or paper, the list grows by 10-20 books or papers

Your list will grow larger.

One of the best and worst things about having hobbies/interests in creative or media-based works. Your interest grows, as does your backlog, but your pacing and ability to get through them is usually about the same.

I like fanfiction.
sometimes, I have trouble reading books I want to read, but I can read a 600 page fanfic in two days. The last 4 books I read were 1000+ page fanfics.
I'm so ashamed

drowing in this much sin, you need a real priest user it's not too late to repent three hail marys and a hallelujah

Memes are a new medium upon tge internet. Memes manifest themselves as reality as people's forms of consciousness change to more readily apprehend quick and repetitious information in the form of reposted media. Once you introduce a new medium or technology to a society there is no going back; the "damage is done" so to speak.

Obnoxious and irritating it may be but I'm sure you too take part in memetic structures of thought and probably respond well to the reposting of some ideas over others. I'm sure most if not all channers (and redditors and imgurers and funnyordie-ers etc) have had some idea implanted in their head from merely scrolling past the same images. Kind of like on /b/ when there used to be a fuck ton of resistence to tranny/trap threads (bbc threads are another good example) but now through their constant reposting they are a staple of the board

I haven't read Kierkegard

Joseph Campbell is boring me.

I remember like 5 characters from Brothers Karamazov

I like the idea of Joyce more than the work itself. Portrait was great, Dubliners bored me, and I only enjoyed the first quarter of Ulysses

I have never once found humor in Kafka

I believe DFW was a great writer and artist and apropos for the period

I started with the Greeks, and then forgot them.

I prematurely ejaculate quite often

Do you think any of the fan fictions that you've read have actual literary merit to them?

Yes.

The last priest I talked to started crying. I'm not allowed anymore.

Meh. Considering how many I've read, a couple probably. There are definitely a number that are better than actual published genre fiction, at least.

That actually makes some sense, user.

The Metamorphosis
The Divine Comedy
The Iliad

They all stood the test of time.

>The Divine Comedy
dante was a little fucking bitch

> that Joseph Campbell on the left
> MLP Fanfiction literally got published into five volumes

>published into five volumes
are you sure those aren't just 4 copies?

Motherfucker if you sucked Virgil's spicy pizza dick then i'm sure you'd become a little sissy bitch too but what the fuck at least dante had such a good time he went from hell and back and got to fuck his waifu in a celestial orbit of fuckin glowing lights haha so really who's the fuckiin fag Dante master of pizza dick and pussy in both heaven and hell or you some little fuckin meme queen who watches girl cartoons

i don't know actually but why would anyone have five copies of it

the smaller one has a subtitle to it so i assume there must be more than one volume in that fanfic

I didn't read any of that.
Dante was a little bitch and I want to rape his little bitch mouth.

> haha so really who's the fuckiin fag Dante master of pizza dick and pussy in both heaven and hell

why would anybody have any copy?
I think the fifth one is some kind of I forget the word. You know, something the accompanies the text to help you understand it more.
Somebody tell me what that's called, because I'm about to have a goddamn meltdown.

What the fuck is pizza dick

if it's anything like pizza-face, then it's horrifying. I'm vomiting right at this moment.

this, at least in this board
but you know this will be impossible

also people that trash talk translations of Joyce and Pynchon but have read all european canon in english need to leave this board

Pizza face is slang for someone who has a face covered in acne. So I'll assume that pizza dick is slang for someone who has a dick covered in acne.

italian dick

I think novels are a form of entertainment, not fountains of universal wisdom like the pseuds tell us.

Lately I only read books that give me pseud cred. Brothers Karamazov, the republic, currently manufacturing consent. And even my choice of fun, a James bond novel, gets me pseud cred. If I had a spine I'd give up on most books I read out of boredom. That includes Dickens and guns germs and steel which I read on my commute on my phone. But in worried the pseuds will insult me

Traps are not bad though, some look way better than any girl you've seen.

I really hate people who are obscure just for the sake of being obscure, like it makes them cool.

It does though.

I never said traps are bad.

Thank you, user. I've been depressed for days and your understanding made me feel a little better. I recommend Marshall McLuhan

>The last priest I talked to started crying. I'm not allowed anymore.
Tell me more

Can't. Talking about it breaks parole.

had a cheeky giggle

>Meh. Considering how many I've read, a couple probably. There are definitely a number that are better than actual published genre fiction, at least.
Why do you choose to read them as opposed to other things?

You manage to quit drinking coffee yet?

I don't know. I've asked myself the same thing a lot - If I can read this in two days, why don't I just read REAL books instead? The same reason other people do, I guess. I just want to experience the characters I enjoy more, probably. And fanfiction have a lot of niche story lines and plots that aren't common in books.

No but I have managed to stop junk food and procrastinating on learning few things

Makes sense. Thanks for answering

No problem. Thank you for asking.

Chin up, bro. I appreciated your words.

I've never read a book in my live