Guys I need to live off of $60 worth of food for the month of January. Absolutely not above $60

Guys I need to live off of $60 worth of food for the month of January. Absolutely not above $60.

I have no caveats with the exception of milk or milk products and I want to be healthy. Everything is on the table and I like anything that tastes good. What do I buy?

>this relevant to food and cooking

Other urls found in this thread:

campbells.com/v8/vegetable-juice/high-fiber/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Guys I need to live
I dispute that.

Rice, beans, veg, and oats. Done. NEXT!

Buy lettuce, baked chicken, miracle whip, broccoli and Boston beans.

You know what you just do.

Which vegetables are usually the most cost effective? I'm looking at quantity, nutrition, and price as the three vectors.

Rice perhaps but are cheap oats good for you? As far as I'm aware, cheap oats are stripped of most everything that oats have nutritionally of value which puts them not so much in this meal plan.

Like yeah I could buy $60 worth of ramen and theoretically have food for 2 months but I'm trying to hit nutrition as well as save money for my 2 goals.

you have to embrace your inner trash, go for calories/cost and hope your past living allows you to skate by one month.

potatoes and onions will serve you well

Oats aren't processed the same way wheat is into white flour, instant oatmeal is still fairly nutritious. Just make it with milk and don't add a ton of sugar.

Cabbage and carrots are usually cheap. Look at frozen vegetables too, they're just as nutritious and can be cheaper and the quality is just as good as long as you don't need to eat them raw.

>go for calories/cost
>onions

What about some oats and PB instead?

potatoes and PB, yeah that sounds like a great idea my man

Brown rice and dried beans as your main bulk. Cheap and nutritious. Spend the rest on frozen vegetables and vegetables on sale. Maybe get some chicken or beef if you have money left.

Idk about all that garbage in that webm though... I think that trash is actually more expensive than healthier food would be for a dish of that size.

I like the idea of potatoes and onions. Mashed potatoes and some caramelized onions with maybe a chicken breast sounds like a great and very cheap dinner.

Cabbage sounds good, but carrots might be expensive, I think leeks are fairly cheap right now.

Peanut butter is a bit expensive and cheap peanut butter is garbage, no? It's super processed and full of preservatives and other shit?

Right it looks like
>cabbage
>onions
>potatoes
>chicken
>rice
>beans

What are some other cheap healthy essentials? I'm not being sold on oats so much... And Sam's Club has really cheap eggs so I'll probably do that too.

might need some more fat. maybe try 2% milk or something. maybe use it to mash the potatoes or just sip like a gentleman

Chicken breast usually isn't cheap, you should either buy a whole chicken or see if you can get cheaper chicken legs. Cheap peanut butter usually has vegetable shortening and sugar added, "natural" peanut butter is more expensive but it's so calorie dense.

Good point.

What about fat in the form of the chicken skins? Butter is okay but not straight up milk. Also milk is expensive and would put a rather large dent on the $60 budget.

So,
>eggs
>potatoes
>cabbage
>onions
>rice
>beans
>chicken

I'm missing fruit...

I can find chicken at around 1.89 the pound. 3 pounds of chicken would set me back $6 or $8 and would probably last me a month. I could make soup, fry it, or use leftovers to make a chicken salad with some mayo. It's versatile enough to definitely include. I feel the same way about the eggs because I can boil them, fry them Sunnyside up, scramble them or mix it with rice.

I can get chicken likes for like 65 cents/lb, and whole chickens for $1/lb. Eggs are usually pretty cheap though and last a long time, so buy a bigger amount at once if you think you'll eat them all.

Check out lentils, they almost have the same amount of protein as chicken, they can be cooked in several ways, and they're incredibly cheap. You can combine them with onions/potatoes/carrots, etc.

Also, if you want to add more calories to your meals for cheap, you can make your own corn tortillas from scratch very cheaply and eat them with soup, at breakfast, etc. The only downside is the gas required to make them but that may be cheap depending on where you live.

>I can get chicken likes
chicken legs*

>they almost have the same amount of protein as chicken
Chicken breast has 3x as much protein as lentils. Lentils are good and I eat them a lot, but that just isn't true.

Is that a picture you took yourself?

Carrots are usually expensive where I live but I'll check them out as well as the lentils. I'm a bit more partial to red kidney beans or black beans.

Have you been to Mt St Michel?

You're right, 200g of cooked lentils contains about ~20g of protein, whereas chicken contains ~60g of protein for each 200g. I must have mistaken the protein count of lentils in its uncooked form.

I found this picture on the internet, sadly I've never been to Mt St. Michel. Structures that look like overgrown sand castles are just very appealing to me.

It's a very unique and cool place that I had the pleasure of visiting in September. People actually live there and it's like it's own self contained town inside the walls, you are free to walk all along the walls and up but you have to pay to get to the top which is where the Monastery is. There are shops and restaurants in these very medieval looking narrow cobbles steep streets. You can also spend the night there in one of the "hotels". I've been told at night it's something to experience atleast once.

Eat two pizzas a day.

Seriously how the fuck is this a problem are all Americans just retarded?

>two "pizzas" a day
I'm going to assume you mean pizza slices.
>no vegetables
>no fruit
>no sustaining vitamins or nutrients
>not healthy
It's like you're retarded and didn't bother reading the OP.

Bake/Roast the chicken legs with potatoes and onions and carrots to soak up the chickum fat

leg quarters, rice, potatoes, butter, flour, yeast (make bread), and some cheap vegetables like a bag of carrots and a couple pounds of turnips.

also, your milk, bag of onions, and maybe find some other meat on sale, I got a whole pork loin for like $4 the other day at kroger, it was $1 a pound, and get a can of better than bullion, $60 is plenty for a month

Hell you could buy four whole roast chickens and some rice or potatoes and maybe other vegetables. You'll hate chicken by the end of it but you'll survive and feel alright.

Download the Cron-o-meter and check the foods for yourself. Black beans are probably the best type of bean for all around nutrition and antioxidant bioavailability. Buy bulk black beans for super cheap and learn how to cook them. (Don't buy canned.) Add them to cooked white rice so you can avoid the arsenic in brown rice. Add green onions, garlic cloves, and brussels sprouts for vitamins and anticancer chemicals. Also add asparagus or broccoli for their vitamin profile. This is probably the best you can do on that budget while trying to stay healthy.

>Eggs are usually pretty cheap though and last a long time, so buy a bigger amount at once if you think you'll eat them al
sometimes you can get 5 dozen eggs at Kroger for 5 dollars

Spinach is pretty nutrient dense and cheap, at least for me
$1-1.40 an lb

25lb dry black beans $17
25lb dry brown rice $14

this will keep you full. The rest of your money goes towards hot sauces and stuff to make it taste different.

4-4lb bags of pinto beans 16 bux
4-10 lb bags of potatoes 10 buxz
4-18 ct. eggs 8 bux
as much valentina hot sauce and yellow onions and sour cream as you want
60 dollars or less and enough for a month
anyone who thinks this is a hardship is retarded, it's easy and actually really good and satisfying

Buy oats (whole grain rolled, steel cut, or whole oat groats are healthier than the instant kind and probably cheaper per serving too) anyway.

Rice... or buy flour and a box of baking soda (and make things (chicken and dumplings come to mind)... dark meat or whole chicken is cheaper than chicken breast per pound unless you plan to get deboned thighs or something. Alternatively you could get chicken breast and eat maybe a quarter breast at a time vs a whole or even a half. Or make something where it is spread throughout so it goes further. Pork is also very cheap (not bacon/ham but pork chops and such and chops are lean).

Eggs are great. If you can’t do dairy, check out the cheapest soy or other alternative milks and just use it for the absolute necessities. For example, buy one of the box ones for $1 and then use it in place of regular milk in recipes.

Almost anything you can make yourself is cheaper than a premise store bought version.

Carrots, cabbage, celery, spinach, onion, of course potatoes, and whatever is on sell. Buy small portions of something to get a little variation without a lot of money (for example, a few mushrooms, a clove if garlic).

Not him but im gonna try this.not sure if ican find cheap beans though.. bean prices skyrocketed whereit would be 80 cents for 1kg it's now doubled in price.

Buy 10 lb of beans first off, some flour and such too

Buy 60 Snickers and eat 2 per day

Stop being such a fag and buy $60 worth of Sea Urchin.

Yeah but where does nutrition come into play?

This is the point ultimately though; how to maximize the dollar and net weight of nutritious* product.

*nutritious being synonymous with actual nutrition of course, for a standard human being; hot pockets won't cut it

Pick up a side job to make some extra green rather than living on cheap staples for a month.

They don't call them soup kitchens for nothing.

Add a can of beef broth and some tomato juice or spicy V8 to a bag of "vegetables for soup". Toss in some Italian seasoning and salt.

I keep my freezer stocked full of these. They're usually $1.99, but sometimes go on sale for cheaper. Not bad for almost two pounds of vegetables. Buy a head of cabbage and/or some white beans and bulk it up. If you want meat, buy some chuck and get it cubed into really lean chunks. A slow cooker is nice but not necessary.

Peanut butter and crackers. I'll spread some peanut butter on a couple crackers and let my stomach settle for a bit. Let it catch up to your brain, and you'll be surprisingly satiated.

Me again.

I also like to sweat a bag of frozen mirepoix in a tablespoon of light olive oil before adding the vegetables and stock. A bag of carrots, onions, and celery are only $1 piece so you could make your own if you wanted.

V8 also makes a high fiber juice: campbells.com/v8/vegetable-juice/high-fiber/

I fucking love V8 and beef broth as the base for my soup.

>Hey guys be my simulated mommy because im a retard neet!!!

Fuck off. Every single day with these threads

>no vegetable
Tomatoes, onions

>no fruit
Bell peppers, pineapple

>3 grams of fruits and vegetables on 150 grams of bread, fat, and protein is a balanced diet
>yet you must make claims to be superior to American education
Stop embarrassing yourself.

As far as staples go I'd do rice, beans, and potatoes for the bulk of your calories along with some flour or cornmeal. Add to those cheap vegetables like carrots (well under $1 per lb here, I don't know where you are that carrots are expensive), celery stalks, onions, etc. As long as you're going to be cooking them then either frozen or fresh vegetables will be fine. Find some fruit on sale that you like -- bananas are always cheap here, sometimes I can find cantaloupes on sale for $1 per melon, oranges and apples are usually cheap when in season, etc. Eggs should be cheap wherever you are so pick up a bunch of eggs for protein. Find some meat on sale -- chicken leg quarters go for under $.50 per pound here sometimes and you can use the bones and stuff for making stock. Look for deli and manager specials like buy 1 get 1 free on certain cuts of meat, maybe you can score some cheap beef or pork that way. Sometimes you can find pre-packaged sliced deli meat on sale for a ridiculously low price like sliced turkey breast or ham for under $1 per pound and that stuff goes great in omelets.

Avoid expensive cuts of meat and pricey fruits and vegetables. Focus on making meals around a cheap, calorie dense staple and then add other ingredients to balance the meal out and add flavor and variety.