These are the Jung books I currently own...

These are the Jung books I currently own, a very short introduction sounds like a good place to start any one got an idea where to go from there or some interesting facts on Jungian psychology?

Read Freud instead

>psychology
Don't call it that ever again.

What would you call it?

I do plan on reading Freud, do have suggestions on places to start?

His autobiography and the red book

My issue with calling it psychology is that psychology is a scientific field while psychoanalysis isn't. If psychoanalysis reasonates with you, then by all means read it, but remember it is not a science.

Modern psychoanalysis is a scientific field and widely used practice it's just called psychodynamics which draws heavy theoretical background in Freud and some of Jungs sound ideas such as study of symbols but also Winnicot, Adler, Klein and a vast array of modern theoreticist such as Green.

>it is not a science.
Thank God.

Friend you need to read Archetypes and the collective unconscious. Evidently you have had several introductions. Why read paraphrased simplified words when you can read "straight" from the real source.

Jung is a tough read but not because he is a particularly bad writer. He is just explaining complex ideas in a time where those ideas had not been normalized yet. He was on the forefront of an art and had to devise new languages to share his knowledge.

As far as related books go: anything with legends or myths will be important, if you are going to read the I Ching you must also rea the Dao de Ching( also incorrectly known as the Tao te Ching), and maybe look into the romantic period in art a bit. Delacroix and Gericault would be an excellent start. In this time the inner mind saw a rebirth of interest especially in art. Gericault started painting "insane" patients and this movement is intrinsically associated with jung and frued. Check out the biography memories reflections... whatever it's called. It's a great read and explains quite a lot about jung and how his ideas were formed. Lastly read some of the big stories in the Bible. Jungs father was a priest and jung spent a lot of time reflecting on biblical stories.

How many of those books have you read op?

Thanks for your help, only Man and his symbols so far, followed most of it but still felt as if I didn't learn anything

read Freud only to better understand what came after it.

Maybe try Freud: A Chronological Exploration of Freud's Writings

>reading Man and His Symbols
>ayy nice explanations from Jung. I like this.
>Chapter 2
>Not written by Jung
>None of the other chapters were written by Jung

I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO PLEBS REEEE

The most important thing to realize about jung is that the subconcious thinks in a dynamic of symbols and categories which he calls archetypes. For instance in a dream you could be talking to a friend when suddenly they shift into another friend without you making anything of it. That's because in that situation the dream was having you speak to the category or archetype of friend. Specifics are usually unimportant in dreams.

Man and his symbols is mostly about that and cases where that idea has come up. The archetypes and the the collective unconscious book is a catalog of the different archetypes and their usual stories or motifs; however you want to think of it. This is THE book on jung. everything else is essentially going down the rabbit hole. This is all you really need to tear apart fiction like all the fancy jungians do.

You do know that the book was written for plebs right? And the other people was Jung's fellow psychoanalyst coz he didn't want to make it about him

Pretty much this. All OP presently owns are extracts and commentaries. Serious students need to get to grips with the Collected Works, and The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious is the easiest way in.

>Jung is a tough read but not because he is a particularly bad writer
Indeed he is - but because he's a seriously great writer. The esoteric vocabulary can be off-putting, but only because Jung was forced to invent/adopt terms for the new concepts he describes.

No pioneer or prophet finds it easy to communicate his ideas, but I think Jung does the best job possible. His erudition is remarkable, and he credits readers with the intelligence to keep up with him.

>Modern psychoanalysis is a scientific field
Pls post a modern psychoanalytic paper with a falsifiable hypothesis and methodology that isn't purely qualitative.
(Clinical efficacy studies don't count, obviously.)
Thanks senpai

>(Clinical efficacy studies don't count, obviously.)
frig off

>psychology
>scientific
Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ha

ha

Just ordered Archetypes and the Collective unconscious, cheers for your help Veeky Forums

Read On Dreams, then Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality, then Beyond the Pleasure Principle, then the Ego and the Id

You can finish with Civilization and Its Discontents but it's really not necessary

You should read Freud first as it's important to understand where Jung is coming from and what he's responding to as his work continues. Have you checked out The Portable Jung with the intro by Campbell? As for Freud, The Freud Reader with the intro by Peter Gay is pretty good, it was the text assigned for my class which focused on three German thinkers. Given that the professor was from Germany himself, I have to assume he felt it was a good translation.

The book was explicitly written to be accessible, yes. It's explained by the editor that the genesis of the book comes from Jung doing a television interview which spurred public interest in his work. So he began the project of producing a work that accurately conveyed his psychoanalytic field as distinct from Freud to the non analytic public. He only wrote the first chapter, but he was heavily involved in reviewing the content of all the others to make sure it was in line with his system. He died before it was finished, but all the chapters in the book were roughly complete, no heavy content changes occurred between his death and release.

You shut your whore mouth, Von Franz's chapters are GOAT bitch was the only one that could accurately correlate psychology and quantum physics ffs

You should read volume 7 of the Collected Works next, it's a nice way to get into his texts and pretty accessible overall. From there you can go to Archetypes with a better foundation.

Daily reminder that the organized mass can be resisted only by the man who is as well organized in his individuality as the mass itself.

oi cheers m8 im jerkin off to the pics of yr mum you gave me, why's the dude fuckin her look like yr ugly mug tho eh?