Any book about violence...

any book about violence? i'm interested because a friend send me last molyneux video and i just can't buy this classical liberal "free speech/debate are more valid than the use of violence" stuff, i don't believe "civilization" depends on free speech or that violence would disrupt it (the state itself is using violence against everybody all the time, and theres no chaos or whatever)

to clarify, i'm not interest in committing acts of violence, i'm not north american, i'm not into politics at all, i just want to read something reactionary, a "fresh" point of view you may say

Most of the interesting philosophy on political violence is expressly about toppling the existing order by creating a legitimacy crisis in it, or exploiting such a crisis, and/or prepping your own group to replace an illegitimate and weak order. Sorel talks about that, and I think Zizek has a book on violence but I don't know if it's crap.

But I'd recommend you read Baudrillard on the possibility of revolt from the present regime, and whether it's actually ever been accomplished. I'm not saying rebellion is bad if you're living in fucking Saudi Arabia or something, but smashing a modern Western, liberal state has never fixed anything. The bourgeois system has its evils but every attempt to replace it has only resulted in totalitarian hypercharged versions of those evils. Communism and fascism weren't replacements for bourgeois values, they were bourgeois values on steroids.

The Iliad

I'm getting the strong suspicion this guy is a north american political activist interesting in committing acts of violence.

thanks for the answer and recommendations
also,
>Communism and fascism weren't replacements for bourgeois values, they were bourgeois values on steroids.
you just defined what i was trying to define a long time ago

i actually have this book, never got past the first canto tho

if you really want to know, i'm a south american living a simple life of study on a small and comfy city on the countryside... i said i wasn't north american because i don't want to be associated with that far right protest

Libertarians write about the states monopoly on violence in interesting ways that you might find interesting. It is not "reactionary" in the buzz word sense that you're using to describe differing theory on the legitimacy of violence, especially as it relates to the state. There's an Australian philosopher that wrote about Libertarianism and violence, but I don't remember his name.

But yeah, what's that Greek play about justice again? Antigone? Maybe a different one.

The Leviathan - Hobbes

Did someone say Reactionary?

Lolbertarians! I'm interested in that Australian philosopher though if you can think of his name.

>Origins:
Number one place to begin: Aeschylus - The Oresteia. A series of plays that try to answer the question, "Why do we have jury trials instead of just stoning murderers to death?" It's also the only complete surviving trilogy from antiquity. The best translation in English is Hugh Lloyd-Jones's, but if you're from South America, I don't know who does it well in Portuguese or Spanish.

>Why liberalism instead of war?
Excellent primary sources on why we channel our violence into the economic rather than political spheres:
Machiavelli - The Prince and Discourses on Livy
Hobbes - Leviathan
You can also read Locke's Second Treatise, but I honestly like the above way more, and you can get the same point. You can always come back and read Locke later.

>Modern and Contemporary Writers
AKA: Does the Machiavellian/Hobbesian/Lockean solution work?
Carl Schmitt - The Concept of the Political and The Crisis of Parliamentary Democracy
Selections in a book of excerpts called From Max Weber, Pt 2: Power
Hannah Arendt - On Violence

There's also a large, explicitly left-wing literature on how everything is violence, but I'm not the guy to talk to about that. The above is a good place to start for Greek/classical liberal/modern (including, with Schmitt, reactionary) views of violence and its uses. Reading these books will also lead you to others; Arendt is good, particularly, on citing (and arguing against) the lefty lit of her day.

damn that penis has some droopy balls.

Whoever you are I've seen your style of posting, sorts of suggestions, and that image around quiet a bit in threads and I must say I would hang out with you and chat with you any day.

Well, I would hang out with him. You sound like you were triggered by his well thought out and informative post. I can't say I would hang out with you if you're such a cunt.

>molyneux
what the FUCK?

Lol I wasn't triggered in the slightest. I guess I just didn't know how to word my response to him. For that, have a (you).

id let her suck my victim if ya catch my drift

Is she like a light skinned Mexican or what?

I've read the Zizek book. It's good.

>Lolbertarians!
What did he mean by this

>i just can't buy this classical liberal "free speech/debate are more valid than the use of violence" stuff
>i don't believe "civilization" depends on free speech or that violence would disrupt it (the state itself is using violence against everybody all the time, and theres no chaos or whatever)
This line of thought is why South America sucks.
I say this as a South American

/thread