Coffee Thread

old one hitting bump limit

anyone try this coffee before? I got it for christmas and am waiting until my old coffee runs out

meme

monitoring this thread for pictures of hot black chicks

Why doesn't anyone here like dark roast?

Less caffeine, so the benefits kind of lacking.
The darker, the more bitter and repulsive the personality
Blonde is the way to go for me, it’s soft and nice, but high in caffeine, therefore useful.

I'm finishing a bag currently. Extremely mediocre. I've been brewing it with kratom for an extra kick

I prefer dark, but I recognize that it's mostly burnt out the unique flavors individual beans have

Have any of you used the Kuissential Evengrind? Is it good for french press grinds? For $20 I'm tempted to get it.

Reminder that if you don't drink your coffee boiling hot in shots like a South American you're doing it wrong

>jaba

I have a nice french press, but never really got into coffee. wife always gets starbucks grounds, not really a fan of it when I try it. Are there any high quality grounds I should try? Like good grounds you’ve found from trial and error? Really sick of Starbucks overpriced liquid shit

>grounds
If you want really good coffee you need to buy whole beans and a grinder.

>whole beans and a grinder
So much this. Besides the difference in flavor, pre-ground coffee contains so many particles of roaches it actually causes immune reactions in entomologists who develop roach sensitivity from prolonged exposure to the little bastards.

Thanks anons, glad I’m not using grounds. I’ll look into a grinder, probably a cheap one that gets the job done just for a first-timer thing, get a longer lasting one if coffee is my thing. Any beans you prefer then?

I buy my beans at Costco, just take the roast that you like.
I honestly prefer my coffee black and the consistency of 80w90 oil.
I do it in a Italian press.

Alright moka head motherfuckers, here's a tip for yall. Before I would have told you you're just making the coffee wrong, but I moved to Europe and couldn't make moka pot coffee to save my life. Here is something I learned the hard way.

Temperature control is crucial and nothing will give you that temperature control like an electric stove, not induction, a regular hot plate type stove, low temperature is key, your pot should take at least ten to twelve minutes before coffee spews out to the upper chamber, as much as I tried on a gas stove, the lowest heat I could get would make the water too hot and burn the coffee before it ever spewed out, same thing for induction. But electric allows for the water temp to slowly rise and not reach 100 celcius because youre boiling water in a pressure cooker.

Anyways, use a hot plate for your moka pot, thank me later.

I have some frothy white cream for those chocolate coffee muffins, actually the cream is sort of off-white but I'd like to get some of it into that hot dark mocha frappuchino

Anyone here make blends of different single origins/roasts?
I usually go by the rule of 2 parts south american (brazil bourbon or some colombian), 2 parts fruity african (etheope) and one part Viet seems to work magic

If I have less than 25g of the last bag, it gets mixed with some of the new bag.

I really like it. I do prefer their Death Wish brand but still not bad at all. Plus its the life imitating art version of the Duncan Hills coffee from Metalocalypse. Complete with metal god endorsement from Zakk Wylde.

What're good flavors to add to coffee? I currently add cocoa powder or saigon cinnamon, depending on my mood

Best high end coffee grinder for V60? Budget $3000.

>$3000
Are you planning to get into espresso?

No, but i want best grind distribution.

Weren't Death Wish coffees recalled for containing fatal toxins?

Just the nitro cold brew

mahlkonig ek43

or just the new baratza sette

For a meme blend it's okay. I got some for Christmas too. Probably won't order more, but it's alright when made in a french press.

I like the art more than the coffee and they included a sticker of the art, so that's a positive.

If you just want to dip your toes into the fresh brewed world try a Hario hand grinder as your first one. I don't know what size french press you have, but I have a 1 liter/~4 cups press and I use 25g of coffee for a full press brewed at 5 minutes.

25g for 1L is not enough you should be using around ~64g at 4 min

Yeah, fuck that. That's well over double the amount of coffee I'm use to using and I'd run though a pound of coffee in a week.

You should try it at least once, m8. 16:1 is the standard ratio.

Also, drink less.
Quality > Quantity

I make coffee once a day and it lasts me from about 7 am, till 1 pm.

I'll try it once this weekend.

they had the potential to develop fatal toxins so they recalled everything from the batch to be sure.

Cupping new Onyx blends

2.5 gallons of cold brew ready to sell

and here it is in the cup

It's better than your average crap coffee most people drink, but it's not great. It's a very coarse grind, too, so it's limited right out of the bag. The caffeine is noticeably strong, making my armpits sweat when I'm sitting at my desk (and I'm not a fatty).

>It's a very coarse grind, too, so it's limited right out of the bag
Please tell me you didn't actually pay $20/lb for pre-ground

>Please tell me you didn't actually pay $20/lb for pre-ground
Please tell me you didn't actually pay $50 for a metal burr grinder or $15 for a plastic grinder that will break

I paid $180 for a LIDO 3

why not make it on site? how much per cup? and who would buy it when they can literally go anywhere to get it?

>why not make it on site?
We are a mobile vendor, and it takes 16 hours to make. We have a commissary kitchen we prepare drinks at then take them to events to sell
>how much per cup
$4 + tax for nitro cold brew. Matcha and other specialty drinks can cost more
>who would buy it when they can literally go anywhere to get it?
millenial women with money mostly. We have a bike so we go to places you wouldn't normally find coffee. We were just in a fashion boutique and an expensive furniture store last week.

Is there a generally accepted ratio and time for an average French press coffee cup? Preferably in grams and milliliters, the box my press came in said 2 tablespoons per 200ml of water and 3 minutes of steeping time, but tablespoons can be so different

>when your eggs convert to islam

16:1 water:coffee. The only way to do it correctly is weight. Brew time is completely dependent on grind. If you're using coffee preground for drip or similar, you'd probably want around 3 minutes.

If you don't have a scale yet, you're just going to have to experiment to find what you like

How do I into choosing beans when grinding coffee?
Been drinking filter all my life but my family got a grinder for Christmas and I don't know the beans to choose. I like a dark/strong coffee, is that what dark roast beans are?

Start trying single origins. It's the best part of coffee. Central America is a good place to start. Most will probably be light or medium roast as roasting more than that kills the flavor of the beans and you just end up tasting the "roast". I.e. they all taste burnt.

Strength is determined by the amount of coffee used and don't mistake bitter coffee for strong coffee. Please see the coffee compass posted above.

Holy fuck 64 grams is a whole kids cup of coffee. This better be worth it.

>millenial women
>buying bitter brews

hard to believe you dont put half milk and sugar in it.

Here we go, 64g, 1L water, four minutes extract

Nice Brazil. The plunge should have some resistance to it now

Awaiting updates.

Yup, hard to compress. Made me worry about the strain on the plastic parts.

But holy shit, this brew is like jumper cables to your heart. It's a special kind of strong. Seems like it would go sour if you don't drink it fast.

Just go very slow (start 30 sec before the end of your brew time) and press as straight down as you can in order to not put lateral pressure on the lid

Trying to drink this before it goes sour, fuckin sweating over here. This is what disarming a bomb must feel like

It's not going to go sour, weirdo

Joking aside, it's really not far off from drinking straight espresso shots. The beans might be a bit too sharp of a flavor for this ratio too. Needs to be toned down a bit.

they go for the matcha/chai more than coffee but we do have a good amount of regular chicks that drink nitro straight black.

Espresso is 2:1, that was 16:1. It's how coffee is supposed to be

I do 3 heaping tablespoons for ~20oz of water, brewed for 5 minutes in my French press

how do I get into coffee
I'm looking for something to drink other than water that doesn't make me look like a manchild and I just could not get into teas no matter how hard I tried

Buy coffee
Brew coffee
Drink coffee
???
Now you are into coffee

How much are you willing to spend?

>nord viking coffee
>coffee most likely from saudi arabia/south america

how's the caliphate coming along?

>in plastic
enjoy your bpa "cold brew"

get a fucking aluminum drum, you hillbilly

1. Go to Target right now and get a Bodum Brazil french press
2. Get a bag of pre-ground (inb4) Caribou Blend
3. Get some water boiling
4. Put three scoops (7g scoop comes with the press) of grounds in the press
5. Once water boils, wait a minute or so for it to cool down (we want 195-205F)
6. Start 3 minute timer and begin pouring water in filling the press up about a third
6.5. Put lid on and leave screen above the coffee
7. Plunge when 3 minutes is almost up
8. Pour all of it into mug immediately
9. Wait to cool and enjoy your first cup of decent coffee
10. Now order a scale and decide on how much you're willing to spend on a grinder
11. Order freshly roasted beans
12. Be blown away by actual fresh coffee
13. Become autist and collect all different brew devices and fill a notebook with your experiments and tasting notes
14. Return to shitposting

I think I covered the basics

I've been thinking about using whole beans and getting a grinder, does anyone have any recommendations or a nice guide on getting one? Could see myself getting something in the $50 range, or up to $100 if it REALLY makes a big difference.

If you can't put forth at least $1000 for a budget grinder then don't even bother

Baratza Encore ($130) is the minimum electric grinder. Hario Skerton ($35) or a clone is the minimum hand grinder

p. sure this is the same concept as Deathwish coffee. Just loaded with caffeine. If that's what you drink coffee for then this is good, but for people who enjoy coffee for the taste I would imagine this tastes like gasoline.

I've had deathwish and it's pretty bad.

It is Deathwish coffee

I know that Deathwish makes it, which is why I was comparing it to Deathwish original brew.

What ratios of coffee to water do you use?

I just did my first batch of cold brew yesterday and used around 1L of water to 125g of ground coffee. Havent tasted it yet - not really sure if those measurements mean I should add more ice and water to it when I drink it, or if I should go for a glass of that.

Is it worth it trying to go for a home espresso machine? This is apparently the best reviewed machine under $100. Also considering getting it because my kid really likes hot coco w/ steamed milk.

>love coffee
>get nauseous when i drink a cup, sometime to the point of puking out breakfast
>happened this morning

life is suffering

Get a reverse osmosis system or at least buy similarly demineralized water or the pump will fail.

I just ordered myself a hand grinder, but where do I start with trying different kinds of beans? I signed up for the Blue Bottle free trial. Is this a good place to start, or is it a meme?

I had that machine. Got daily use out of it for around 4 years and really liked it - but it depends what youre looking for.

If you are hoping to make barista style cappuccino or latte then its not a good option as the milk steamer isnt great. It heats the milk and somewhat foams it, but its not a silky smooth foam, it has lots of big bubbles.

However, if youre looking for a perfectly acceptable espresso then I'd say go for it. Obviously not the worlds best, but you pay for what you get. It used to give me nice espresso with a good crema at a nice temperature for most of its life.

Any start is a good start. I just looked at their free trial and it's 2oz which is like 2 mugs worth. I'd recommend searching The Google maps for "coffee roaster" and finding a local place to start.

Also, Blue Bottle is owned by Nestle now, so I'm just going to assume they're shit, but I don't really know. Maybe you'll like it. The main thing when ordering online is to make sure that it's roasted to order. Coffee sold without a roast date is 99% going to be stale.

There is a shutload of café where I live that sell their own coffee. This is nice because you can taste the coffee before buying it instead of being stuck with a coffee you hate.
It'`s mainly full of students and hipsters but there are qt 3.14 that worth the stay.

get a moka pot

Do some research and find either local roasters that sell direct or sell to local stores/cafes/restaurants who resell.

Freshly roasted beans and grinding just before you brew are by far the best way to improve the flavor of your coffee.

Working an event now

we start at a gallon per lb of coffee but it does vary with different roasts. we also do some drinks with a coffee concentrate so that ratio is much higher.

Honestly I am kind of a hillbilly especially compared to our customers. Do they make aluminum drums this size? I would totally switch this is just something we got from a supplier

meant to tag you in instead of my own post

Best coffee roasters in Seattle?

This is the most restarted advice I've ever heard.

Moka pots are supposed to emulate an espresso. You pre boil the water then assemble the pot and let the water simmer. Should take less than a minute to brew a cup with pre boiled water.

You can adjust the heat for a stronger or weaker brew to your taste but if you aren't using pre boiled water you are 100% burning the coffee in the top of the pot before the water hits it.

Just made my morning cup. I put in vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, and a heaping tablespoon of habanero pepper sauce.

>Just made my morning cup
Of vomit

come to me

>heaping tablespoon of habanero pepper sauce.
Did you eat too much cheese last night or something?

>dirty looking plastiv container
I wouldn't go near your coffee with a ten foot pole.

>in aluminum
enjoy your Alzheimer cold brew.

Starbucks has some pretty decent beans I got this with a gift card I got for Christmas. I make cold brews most of the time since it hits me quicker.

I prefer Raven's Brew (this blend especially) over most chain store coffees, but their coffee is hard as balls to find here in SoCal.

I really like steamed milk but hate paying two bucks at the numale store for it. Is there a machine just for steaming milk? Pls recommend

If you are in socal check out Pollys Coffee in Long Beach. Fresh coffee roasted in the store. It's a local shop that has managed to survive with 2 Starbucks and a coffee bean and tea leaf in the same neighborhood.

I prefer their medium kenyan 2bh

I get this by me, I live 20 mins away from where it's roasted, it's beautiful