Did any good literature come from the Confederacy?

Did any good literature come from the Confederacy?
Not just the South in general, I mean from people who lived and fought in the CSA

Ambrose Bierce

Veeky Forums is a reformist hindu board.

I think.

Did you try google?

It was a very brief period of history and most surviving writing is in the form of letters. The South wouldn't have had the resources or manpower for non-essential printing.

Yeah of course thats why I include just any writers that lived through the period either fighting or just coming from a Southern perspective

Pretty much every major military figure wrote a memoir of the war. As did the Union leaders, including Sherman and grant.

Any of them known to be worth reading?

Lanier is a poet that developed sprung meter at the same time the British did.

Whatever there was Sherman burned most of it.

Hm, what is southern gothic?

Bierce fought for the Union.

He's a superb author, and he did live and fought in the CSA when his unit was fighting there, but that's not what OP was asking for, I don't think.

letter written by a northern soldier to his wife

touching desu.

That's a result of the War not a product of it.

Lee's and Grant's are very illuminating. Lee's in particular are filled with some seriously emotional and tragic moments.

>letter written by a northern soldier to his wife

Holyshit, that gave me shivers

There are a few notable journals from women living in the Confederacy. The men were otherwise occupied. "A Diary from Dixie" is the most name-dropped one. I really enjoyed Brokenburn, which recounts a wealthy Louisiana family being driven from their plantation by Federal land-grabbers. It's some pretty dramatic stuff.

thanks for commenting that you like it, reddit
maybe you can petition chinkmoot to add an upboat button so you won't have to take the time to tell everyone your reaction to their comments?

Haha, oh 4chin why are you always so mad??? Downboated xD

I'm indicating to others that link is worth pursueing, if you have a problem with that faglord then its you who would be better on reddit where such posts are unnecessary

>:^( Downvoted!

The interesting thing is that the sense of defeat imprinted on the Southern character by the war, Reconstruction and Northern meddling is what made it such a literary hotbed from 1920-1970. The antebellum stuff pales in comparison

George Fitzhugh, particularly "Cannibals All"

Thomas Dixon Jr.

>black slaves are forbidden to read or write, still manage to produce Frederick Douglass (literary genius), Harriet Tubman, Harriet Jones, and invent a new genre of literature (the slave narrative)
>white male Confederate hicks have all the freedom and privilege in the world, produce literally nothing of intellectual significance
Are blacks just more intelligent than cumskins?

>reddit is cool guyz! XD please don't bully me
kill yourself spergelord.

Honestly what is so great about Frederick Douglass

He was the first black man to act like a white man, hero to his race

Would have been great leading figure for blacks in a free country but dindus sperged out and ignored all he said.

He was Americas most acclaimed orators, and his memoirs have an important place in the American canon.

Douglass is not part of the American canon. He is at best a neat-o oddity, a freak occurrence for progressives to cream their shorts over and prove to themselves that blacks aren't as retarded as they act

Grant's is one of the great works of American literature.

I went to pay my respects at his tomb after reading it.

Bullshit, Douglass earned his place. It's unfortunate if he's been caught in the idpol shilling mining, but normally SJWs don't pick people like Douglass who achieved something and left a legacy, because it's harder to make up an idpol background which has affinity with their current prejudices from people who have a bigger legacy.

>platitudes, the post

Mark Twain (though he deserted from the Confederate army after a few weeks).

Ulysses S. Grant's is probably one of the essential American books you could ever read. It's fantastic. It was basically ghostwritten by Mark Twain.

>When I had left camp that morning I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place, and consequently was in rough garb. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horseback on the field, and wore a soldier's blouse for a coat, with the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. When I went into the house I found General Lee. We greeted each other, and after shaking hands took our seats. I had my staff with me, a good portion of whom were in the room during the whole of the interview.

>What General Lee's feelings were I do not know. As he was a man of much dignity, with an impassible face, it was impossible to say whether he felt inwardly glad that the end had finally come, or felt sad over the result, and was too manly to show it. Whatever his feelings, they were entirely concealed from my observation; but my own feelings, which had been quite jubilant on the receipt of his letter, were sad and depressed. I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us ...

>We soon fell into a conversation about old army times. He remarked that he remembered me very well in the old army; and I told him that as a matter of course I remembered him perfectly, but from the difference in our rank and years (there being about sixteen years' difference in our ages), I had thought it very likely that I had not attracted his attention sufficiently to be remembered by him after such a long interval. Our conversation grew so pleasant that I almost forgot the object of our meeting. After the conversation had run on in this style for some time, General Lee called my attention to the object of our meeting, and said that he had asked for this interview for the purpose of getting from me the terms I proposed to give his army.