Which publishing houses put out the most aesthetically pleasing books? I mean not just in terms of covers, but font...

Which publishing houses put out the most aesthetically pleasing books? I mean not just in terms of covers, but font, paper, etc.

I really like Vintage paperbacks

Pushkin Press
FUEL Publishing
Faber and Faber
New Directions
Farrar Strauss and Giroux

post closed

Éditions de la Pléiade is pretty good
>those Garamond ligatures

Objectively Gredos.

well its certainly not whatever publishing house made pic related

>eurogoons
please leave

Modern Library is ace. Penguin is trash.

Adelphi
Enjoy your wordsworth classics, pleb.

>Pléiade
they're meme tier crap in France, you know? muh collected works on bible paper, fuck that.

>Penguin is trash
I hate the deluxe classics but the standard black classics are pretty good for what they are. They usually make good choices for the covers and the text isn't small and cramped with tiny margins like it sometimes is with oxford world classics

Please. I read only English and am a literature student studying only English literature, and I have never touched a wordsworth classic.
Why don't you try and find a website where they speak whatever pork drippings language you speak and make these posts over there

>Why don't you try and find a website where they speak whatever pork drippings language you speak and make these posts over there
Because i'm not a monolingual retard.
>muh classical paintings
what a surprise

I like Penguin Classics, but Paradise Lost is one where I'd actually prefer Oxford, since the Penguin edition has annotations at the back of the book, whereas the Oxford has them on the same page.

Meh, it was random pick off Google Images.

Less known than the publishers already mentioned, but I like Persephone Books and Slighty Foxed Editions

>muh classical paintings
Actually it's tapestry.
It's also just one example of a nice penguin classics cover among thousands, so I don't know why you're getting worked up.
>Because i'm not a monolingual retard.
Okay, let's say you sit down at a restaurant in an English-speaking country and the waiter asks what you want to eat, and you say "I think I'll have a glass of eau and a bifteck a point with a side of pommes frites." Who's the retard? Let me know if the comparison is going over your head.
Also, for the record, if I wanted to become multilingual I would choose to learn something nicer than Italian. I'm also not impressed that you learned English, a language that most people in the world are obligated to learn because of how irrelevant their own language is.

I agree with you that oxford is better overall, but aesthetics-wise, I think penguin has them beat.

Side note, how do I start a small publishing house that will make zero money but make good looking books?

i love persephone

also...i learned french just to buy gallimard prints... .. ... ..... .... .. ..

#aesthete

government grants

I already have a business set up in internet publishing/websites and stuff. I want to add physical books.

Everyman's Library
Library of America
Knopf

which of their titles are good? they look great and I scanned the list but I can't tell what's worth buying

NYRB is breddy good

>Library of America
they're great, my only complaints are that the paper is too thin and the dust jackets get improperly folded all the time

Like your line-up, user. Have my fair share of old Everyman, Nelson, and Oxford classics too. Great for reading, as well.
My prized Nelson's a little 3vol Anatomy of Melancholy; Everyman's either a 3vol Stones of Venice or a 2vol deRetz's Memoires. In Oxford I have a near complete collection of Hazlitts with dust jackets. All pre-1955.
I'll opt for the picture.

I like most of them but I wouldn't say they are Veeky Forums's taste. I think maybe The Victoria Chaise Lounge and the diaries of Katherine Mansfield and Virginia Woolf

Can someone take a picture of a random page of Everyman's book in hardback, I want to see the print

Folio Society or bust senpai

First post underrated and most correct
Plus their paperbacks are durable as fuck, I can actually bring books camping and expect them to not be destroyed

Only downside is that my bookshelf looks like a publisher's sale now because so many are Vintage

monolingual scum

no way! so gawdy

Nothing wrong with knowing what your niche is. Besides, I already know one great language very well, and like I said to the other guy, I'm not impressed by people who were obliged to learn English because of how irrelevant their native language is.

excellent taste Italian senpai

you need to learn proper typography or find someone who does. easy to do with InDesign but you can also plough throw Word and do a decent job in that though it's not designed for it really.

Obviously hand-presses are much nicer overall, but since money will be an issue...

Get palsy-walsy with a printer who knows his shit, even if it means travelling to Asia (much cheaper) and you can get good deals on printing as well as check out the quality.

Doing a small print run of a nicely-put together book isn't very expensive if you're smart and proactive. I made a bunch of chapbooks and the like for a couple of hundred quid for as many books, if not twice as many.

Getting rid of them is another thing though.

keep repeating it to validate yourself, pleb. The material and commercial supremacy of "anglo-saxon" nations in no reflects the quality of the literature written in that language. For you to conflate these things merely shows how thoroughly plebeian your mind is.

Everyman's Library have the secrets affordable hardcovers. Without the jacket they're fucking perfect.

Just fucking read dog

I repeated what I said because you repeated what the other person said. Obviously I should have done more, though, because you didn't understand.
I did not say that the political significance of English makes it the best language for literature. I didn't even try to say that English literature was superior at all. I said I'm not impressed by bilingual people who think they're polymaths because they 1. speak their own native language, and 2. learned English out of necessity.
If you speak a third languge that's as foreign to your country as every other language is foreign to Angolphones, then good for you, I'd be geniuinely impressed. If not, though, you're like a Greek peasant who moves to Athens and learns Attic Greek while Anglos are like Athenians who spoke Attic Greek all their lives: I don't care that you speak both the standard language and the regional one, it doesn't make you better than me that you know both, and, going back to the original point, if you recommend a great poem you read the other day written in your dialect, I'll tell you to fuck off.