Hey buds I'm gonna buy a chef's knife. What would you recommend for around $150?

Hey buds I'm gonna buy a chef's knife. What would you recommend for around $150?

Other urls found in this thread:

sharpeningsupplies.com/Shapton-Kuromaku-Professional-Stones-P1548C84.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

buy something like a tojiro DP gyuto and spend the rest on a nice stone

Dexter or Victorinox, spend the rest of food.

a whetstone

I bought a santoku from kyoto last month. If you're gonna be using it for general purpose, I recommend a gyutou or santoku if you wanna do something that requires more slicing, than chopping. Make sure to test it out, or at least hold it before buying, see if it feels comfortable.

A sharpening stone is a must, obviously unless you already have one

>Shun

pls don't

Get something on the inexpensive side if it's your first knife. Your quality to price ratio goes down as you go up in price. Also, a cheap knife that you sharpen often will cut just as well as a more expensive knife, so getting a sharpening stone and learning to use it is just as valuable. Although, you can just pay to have your knives sharpened.

I think I have a sharpening stone somewhere

Just the first image I pulled up. What's wrong with Shun?

Overpriced. Always some sort of compromise design-by-committee shit that has a drawback without excelling in any one task to justify that drawback.

Nothing. I got one last month and its like cutting with a fucking samurai sword. People that talk shit are usually poorfags trying to convince people to get a shitty 30 dollar knife. Steel and craftsmanship matters. And if aesthetics matter to you, the knife is gorgeous.

I have the one pictured and it is great. Needs more care than a thicker heavier wusthoff etc but i prefer a more agile blade

You are dumb. Ive used he shun knife pictured in professional kitchens, they are great.

Shuns are not bad knives. They're just overpriced. $200 Shun knives perform like $120 knives from respectable Japanese vendors. That's why Shun is to be avoided if you have access to a store that carries good Japanese knives.

What's a good grit to get for a way more than necessary level of sharpness?

You can get stones that go as high as 6000, so probably that. At that point you're starting to hit diminishing returns, and you're basically polishing the blade.

>You can get stones that go as high as 6000
Shapton Kuromaku goes from 120 grit up to 30,000

sharpeningsupplies.com/Shapton-Kuromaku-Professional-Stones-P1548C84.aspx

I got myself a 8" Wusthof Classic for about $70 and it's great

That can't be useful. I bet even seasoned chefs couldn't tell the difference between a knife sharpened with up to 10k stones versus up to 60k in a blind cutting test.

Retard, it's for harder steels.

If you've got ZDP-189 at HRC of 66, you're gonna need more than 6,000. At least 12,000, but 30,000 is for honing super hard steels.

Stones are a progression, 30,000 would be for a mirror polished edge or honing a blade between uses.

Yes, the WÜsthof Classics are pretty great. I would rather recommend the 9'' versions though, they are not as tailheavy. Wüsthof knives that are just like the Classics but without a bolster are also available btw. The Le Cordon Bleu series, ppic related

>muh imitation Damascus steel
Why the fuck do people do this? It's pure autistic memery

Do you think REAL Damascus steel is anything besides aesthetics?

And what do you consider "real" Damascus steel?

Bob kramer "real" enough for you?

Real Damascus steel hasn't existed for a long time I just think it's autism to try and copy the aesthetics

I have a number of $150+ knives but go back to my $50 Victorinox Fibrox 90% of the time.

Real Damascus steel was done to remove impurities and create a blade with soft portions and hard portions without having to fuck around with differential tempering.

Any Damascus steel today is likely higher performance than whatever shit they were using back in the day.

Why do people get rust fast knives with scale on the sides? They like the aesthetic ...

You won't find them in any real kitchen in weebland. If the junior chef doesn't come in with shiny knives he's fucked. In general they only use rust fast knives to fuck with the juniors, not for functionality.

As far as style over substance goes pattern welded steel doesn't get close to what the rust fast knife nerds put up with. Silly thing to get upset about.

Two CCKs and a green brick of joy

Is a 1000 grit sharpening stone good for keeping a blade sharp, or is that too rough?

I got a $70 Tojiro DP from hochoknives that serves me well. Spend the rest of your budget on a pairing knife and you'll be all set and have a better perspective for future purchases.

1000 is fairly standard. Higher than that is finishing, generally. For context, after 2-3k you'd have to go to lapping and below 500 is for reshaping.

Op if you arent going to take care of the knife like a baby and properly sharpen it you might as well just buy a $20 walmart knife.

Nigga I already said I have a sharpening stone, and I do intend to take care of it.

Find it if you have one or get a set if you don't. It's more important than a fancy knife