What is the scariest book you've ever read?

What is the scariest book you've ever read?

my diary

holy.. epic..

this tbqh

Revelations

The only time I've been genuinely scared was reading "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie.

(I later found out it was first published as "Ten Little Niggers.")

The ending where the last remaining person hangs themself was just too psychologically spooky for me.

I was like, 13, and honestly no book has been even remotely scary since.

I find I do not get scared by books, but rather I get disgusted and a general feeling of unpleasantness

are you me? literally had the same experience, except i was 12.

Deranged by Harold Schechter. It's about Albert Fish.

I've read books that have far more graphic violence, about serial killers with a much higher body count, but this book left me with a deep nausea. Would not recommend. If it traumatizes you, don't say I didn't warn you.

Read 1984 when I was in grade 9. Spooked me out so much I didn't even finish it

Meditations was 2 spoonky 4 moi

I have no mouth and I must scream

You forgot the desu.

Fish was the most crazy sadistic person I have ever heard about. He could have gotten not guilty by insanity but the jurors thought he was so insane that they just killed him anyway.

I brought him to the Riker Ave. dumps. There is a house that stands alone, not far from where I took him ... I took the G boy there. Stripped him naked and tied his hands and feet and gagged him with a piece of dirty rag I picked out of the dump. Then I burned his clothes. Threw his shoes in the dump. Then I walked back and took trolley to 59 St. at 2 A.M. and walked home from there. Next day about 2 P.M., I took tools, a good heavy cat-of-nine tails. Home made. Short handle. Cut one of my belts in half, slit these half in six strips about 8 in. long. I whipped his bare behind till the blood ran from his legs. I cut off his ears – nose – slit his mouth from ear to ear. Gouged out his eyes. He was dead then. I stuck the knife in his belly and held my mouth to his body and drank his blood. I picked up four old potato sacks and gathered a pile of stones. Then I cut him up. I had a grip with me. I put his nose, ears and a few slices of his belly in the grip. Then I cut him thru the middle of his body. Just below his belly button. Then thru his legs about 2 in. below his behind. I put this in my grip with a lot of paper. I cut off the head – feet – arms – hands and the legs below the knee. This I put in sacks weighed with stones, tied the ends and threw them into the pools of slimy water you will see all along the road going to North Beach. Water is 3 to 4 ft. deep. They sank at once. I came home with my meat. I had the front of his body I liked best. His monkey and pee wees and a nice little fat behind to roast in the oven and eat. I made a stew out of his ears – nose – pieces of his face and belly. I put onions, carrots, turnips, celery, salt and pepper. It was good. Then I split the cheeks of his behind open, cut off his monkey and pee wees and washed them first. I put strips of bacon on each cheek of his behind and put in the oven. Then I picked 4 onions and when meat had roasted about 1/4 hr., I poured about a pint of water over it for gravy and put in the onions. At frequent intervals I basted his behind with a wooden spoon. So the meat would be nice and juicy. In about 2 hr., it was nice and brown, cooked thru. I never ate any roast turkey that tasted half as good as his sweet fat little behind did. I ate every bit of the meat in about four days. His little monkey was as sweet as a nut, but his pee-wees I could not chew. Threw them in the toilet.

No, the worst people were those 4 japanese kids. Tortured a girl to death over the most part of a month, and three of them got only 8 years. The last one got off entirely. Never wanted anybody to be tortured before. I want to torture them to death.

Any system that lets those monsters live is faulty.

The Elementary Particles

This book still haunts me.

This, although I finished the book. I cried like a little baby at the description of the Chocolate Scene

What a waste of a triple dubs.

Eh, if this is as good as it gets it's not that bad. Not very pleasant but not traumatising.

The Wasp Factory.

I hear that guy was a real jerk

Self help stuff is a glimpse into Oblivion.

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion

>Getting scared because of a book

this goy

Should I read this? I picked up Submission the other day, but haven't read that yet either. I was wondering if I should read this one first.

When I was in fifth grade I read the Goosebumps "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". I spent that entire year afraid that my friends and family were replaced by aliens. I refused to sleep or stand in positions where my back was exposed to other because that was how they stole your body. I've never read anything that made me feel that way ever since.

It'll change your life.

Schopenhauer's collected essays
Ligotti's Conspiracy against the human race

Sociopath detected.

Who's it by?

I read the book first in 8th grade. I really enjoyed it and re-read it a year or so back. I had read a little, and decided to finish the last half in a night. I finished around midnight, and fell asleep. My mom shook me awake at 3 because I was having a night terror shouting "The judge, the judge!"

Goosebumps "I Live In Your Basement" fucked me up hard when I was young.

Honestly?

>The Sickness Unto Death
>The Camp of Saints
>Brave New World
>Lord of the World

>>Brave New World
Why

Some Stephen King books like Pet Sematary, Misery and Gerald's Game can get pretty disturbing. He sure does have a fucked up imagination at times.

Came here to post Pet Sematary. It scared the SHIT outta me when I was sixteen. No book I've read since has come close to scaring me as much.

why do you think it's scary?

hey you non-horror-reading bitches I'm here to tell you to read the first half of The King in Yellow

Hell House by Richard Matheson

It's too impersonal to be traumatizing. The guy who dies isn't even allowed to express his anguish in the text. No screams of agony, no pleas for his life.

There's enough text to be put in the clinical mind of the murderer, not enough to empathize with the trauma of the victim.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

I dunno about scary, but The Oath, a Surgeon Under Fire is plenty depressing.

Mein neger

For me it was "The Haunted Mask" and "Fear Street" Goddamn

>fifth grade
>scared by goosebumps

You were a pussy.

Industrial Society and Its Future

How good is the english translation? I wanted to read, but I've seen people saying the brazilian version is worse than reading it in french without knowing the language with a dictionary on the side.

Huh...

The idea of a world where humans are nothing more than intelligent, advanced animals without a semblance of free thought or emotion is terrifying. What makes it worse is that this is where society is headed, more so than Orwell's vision. We are society which exist only to consume and expel at this point--whether it be information, resources, emotions, or thoughts. All we do is consume and 'exist' on a purely survival level.

Humans are the most intelligent animals. I mean, it's not scary to think about, it's just the truth.

underrated. Revelations is fucking terrifying

I don't think we know enough about cetaceans for us to be considered the most intelligent.

I genuinely don't know how to take this. How do you think humans are, if not exactly how you just describe us?

Or Octopi or elephants. Octopi could be very smart if the mother didn't die shortly after giving birth, thus making it impossible to pass on information learned to off spring, essentially starting from scratch each generation.

Was about to right this off as a meme until I saw this. Now it's ordered.

wide sargasso sea or the bluest eye

It's nice to know I wasn't the only person on here to read this. I tore through it in a single sitting.

I don't have nightmares about it or anything but even as an adult it's a pretty harrowing experience.

for me it was that lad eating turtles alive for some reason

This is what humans are and have always been though.

You're welcome to be a reservationnigger though, enjoy your mescal.

Turn of the Screw, definitely.

Harlan Ellison can actually write some really good horror stories. Check out his collections "Deathbird Stories" and "Strange Wine".

I liked those Fear Streets books better cause Stine would actually kill people off in bloody ways (books were meant for high schoolers).

He actually thought about scrapping Pet Sementary cause he even thought it was too graphic, but then his wife told him he should publish it.

Also, The Shining is King's best book. I think it will be his most remembered one after he dies.

It's interesting, although it got it wrong. The main refugees in that book are Indians, not Muslims.

Indians (at least in America) actually have a lot of high intelligence jobs. It's a stereotype to be Indian Doctor in America.

-Laird Barron (check out his first 3 collections)

-Lovecraft (when first read about Cthulhu it freaked me out)

-Ligotti's short stories

-Stephen King stories like The Jaunt and The Man in the Black Suit

-House of Leaves (the one part where he dreamt about the afterlife freaked me out)

-Wanna read more Lovecraftian authors like Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E Howard, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, etc.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Also, most of Murakami Ryu's shit, I suppose, In The Miso Soup being the highlight.

I read this, and MAN does it hit close to home, it feels like the author drank the same cynicism/depression/aspergers juice that I drank

The she isn't you, unfortunately.

what should I read if I don't want to sleep

>inb4 some tired old meme

"The Road". There was a pervading sense of hopelessness, throughout, that I found extremely unsettling. The few times when something good happened, there was still a sense of dread looming above. I finished the book, then lay awake, all night, mulling over it.

"The Night Land", too, was disturbing. Like Lovecraft, Hodgson was great at creating scenes that weren't "scary", per se, but that gave me a queasy feeling that something wasn't right. Additionally, the world of "The Night Lands" was so bizarre and unlike anything else I'd come across. The environment was described in such vivid detail, but he still managed to cover everything in a shroud of mystery. It's just a shame that 60% of the book involved the main character wandering around, with nothing of note happening, and, every now and then, stopping to "take two of the pills and drink some of the water". It worked to further illustrate how desolate the world was, but it got old. Hodgson had a wonderful imagination and the world that he created has no rival, but he wasn't the best writer.

Get out, Norm!

Michel Houellbecq, the same guy who wrote Submission

Various endings from 'Choose your own Adventure' books.

Goblet of fire.

I was like eight.

I don't get spooked by words.

____________BOO!____________

This honestly

Dr sues

Nightmare fuel for children.

Was supposed to make me have faith in god, all it did was give me crippling anxiety which led to my involvement in homosexual activities.

go figure.

11/22/63 (the first part)

>The Shining is King's best book. I think it will be his most remembered one after he dies.
Not a chance. The Kubrick movie will be remembered, not the book. As plebeian a writer as King is, he's written many better books than The Shining.

If
doesn't have any effect on you, your brain processes language in a way that is isolated and disconnected from the rest of the human experience.

>-Laird Barron (check out his first 3 collections)

Shame he will never become a good writer. His recent work is atrocious.

It's "Revelation," you mongoloids.

I've also heard The Night Land's prose is pretty atrocious.

King will probably became the Arthur Conan Doyle of our time, mostly genre fiction but still popular enough to be remembered for awhile after he dies.

How do you get scared by books?

>I've also heard The Night Land's prose is pretty atrocious.

It's not great. The world that he created was amazing, but he repeats himself, over and over and over, and I wish that he had given the story to someone else to write. Most of the book could have been removed and replaced with "I walked for a long time and nothing of note happened.".

How can they be smarter when they didn't even invent the internet or guns or karaoke like we did? Exactly; they're way too stupid

Great God Pan. The bit where the girl is dancing in the cornfields (I think that was it) was very unsettling.

desu

I've tried like 3 times to finish It by Stephen King but I tap out every time