Is it still possible to be a doctor-writer? t. medfag

Is it still possible to be a doctor-writer? t. medfag

>who is William Carlos Williams

>what is the word "still"

> Who is Louis Ferdinand Céline?

>who is Anton Chekhov and why did I post a picture of him knowing that he worked as a doctor and showing that of course, it was a possibility in the past and that I know of writers who were doctors simultaneously, and also, what is the word "still" and does it happen to maybe represent the fact that I am talking about the present and how medicine is becoming more than ever an insanely competitive and work intensive field

Doctors are well known to lose their ability to write coherently over time.

That's a good question user, who really IS Anton Chekhov? Checkhov himself of course, but is it possible that anyone else also can be him?

rlly made me think

Irvin Yalom

No, you can't have a lucrative career and write on the side.

>wrote to put himself through college
>wrote to put himself through medical school
>wrote while a doctor
>treated hundreds of patients for free
>built roads in the villages of Russia
>built schools in the villages of Russia
>all while being one of the greatest writers of all time

This man is so fucking based it's insane. What other writers had very badass lives?

dostoevsky was a badass. basically all the russians

Not anymore. It wa spossible back in the time, but your modern hours won't leave you any free time. My mother is a doctor and her life is basically work. I feel very sorry for her.

He was a neurotic faggot

If you want to write complete garbage for the Oprah crowd, yes, pic related

Michael Crichton (the guy who wrote Jurassic Park) had a medical degree from Harvard.

yeah but I'm talking about actual literature

Who is Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński?

Hopefully. I'm trying the same thing.

high five, my lad

How far along in your education are you?

Hey man, Manhattan lawfag here. 70 hour weeks, generally exhausted, miserable, and overworked.

That said, I write most mornings and on weekends when I can. I've written about three good short stories this year, two Shit ones that I'll delete/burn before I'm dead. Waiting to hear back from a few small publications.

It is very difficult. My writing time has, for the most part, superceded my reading time. You have to make a lot of sacrifices if you're serious about this. For example, dating is off the table. Travel, too. But that said, I love the profession too, and if I fail as a writer, at least I'll have this. But the minute I'm published, I'll go on a hiatus and write my novel.

Another thing: idk where you're located, but I joined a weekly evening writing workshop in the city. It really helps me with making this a habit. I've also learned a lot.

And, of course, if you don't like medicine or the idea of being a doctor, you gotta quit.

>inb4 this isn't related to medicine

Yeah, but it's about a profession which consumes most of your time.

what kind of psychopath actually likes law?

I hope to become a psychiatrist while still writing

dead

Ones who work in a field they're interested in and actually enjoy research and writing.

Going to court, doing depositions, all the stuff involving other people is actually Shit though.

what did he mean by this?

He simply meant that in order to overcome the threat of castration by the father, he must win the favor of the mother, who in turn desires for her son his manifestation of her latent desire for power in the face of the powerlessness she experiences as a woman, i.e. to become a doctor.

Nuland was. And very good in both capacities.

What is a medical journal

wasn't this guy a top-selling author at some point

nah he sucked

read a book.

Yes

We're talking about actual writers, not Oprah celebrities and airport fiction

the last psychiatrist til like 2014

i don't know, maybe you should try, and then, come back and tell us

This. I'm waiting for OP to come back any hour now and say he is an expert medical professional and a published author of something worthwhile.

>who is siddartha mukherjee
you forgot to specify fiction

Holy shit he actually has ugly and that hack face.

no

underrated post

It depends what it is you're writing. I think it's possible with poetry and short stories. I think trying to write a large novel would be exceptionally difficult.