Constantly hear people recommend Anna Karenina

>constantly hear people recommend Anna Karenina
>not very familiar with Tolstoy, but really like Russian literature
>read pic related to get a taste, before I dive into a major work
This was one of the worst short stories I've ever read. The entire thing plays out like a folk tale. The "realism" is completely compromised by the author's religious beliefs. The didactic tone was nearly identical to a parent scolding a child, nauseating.

Should I even bother with Anna Karenina?

Other urls found in this thread:

survivingbaenglish.wordpress.com/nineteenth-century-russian-realism/
jstor.org/stable/1768280?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
anthony-me.blogspot.com/2013/02/realism-in-work-of-leo-tolstoys-how_2368.html
lmgtfy.com/?q=tolstoy genre
wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes.

>The didactic tone was nearly identical to a parent scolding a child, nauseating.
Get used to this.
But overall, yes. He is worth reading. There is a reason he is highly regarded. He was a real jerk but he had a lot of interesting ideas.

>muh realism
you have brain damage

Dostoyevsky is better in every way imo.

>get recommended one work
>don't read it
>read a lesser-acclaimed work instead
>mad about the result

Dummy.

I'm not even going to go into Tolstoy's politics and writing style at that point in his life.

>The entire thing plays out like a folk tale.
hurr durr
That's obvious from the first sentence you Khazar dog.

>doesn't understand that Tolstoy was literally a "Realist writer" in the academic sense
Retard.

"An elder sister came to visit her younger sister in the country."
I don't remember reading that one in Grimm's.
Reading a short story to get used to an author before diving into his major works is a perfectly fine practice. This story is frequently reprinted, studied, and anthologized. It's not his magnum opus, but it is still "essential Tolstoy."

Of all the Tolstoy short stories to read, you chose that? You get what you deserve.

Better in what ways specifically?

James Joyce wrote to his daughter that it is "the greatest story that the literature of the world knows." (source: Wikipedia, it checks out though)

Humour, tragedy, character psychology, plot. Pretty much everything.

Not an asshole.

>hasn't read the short story
>academic sense
realy jogs the noggin

I'm not OP. I've read almost all of Tolstoy's work. I also understand that "Realism" was a literary movement, not some vague adjective, and that Tolstoy's works are considered part of it.

survivingbaenglish.wordpress.com/nineteenth-century-russian-realism/

>hasn't read the short story
>this short story is an example of realism
>ba english
you've convinced me

Sounds like you got a shit translation senpai. I adore Tolstoy.

I have read the short story.
Here's some more information on Russian Realism (from a more scholarly source), since you seem to be lacking a fundamental grasp.

jstor.org/stable/1768280?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Here is an essay on this short story in the context of Russian Realism:

anthony-me.blogspot.com/2013/02/realism-in-work-of-leo-tolstoys-how_2368.html

lmgtfy.com/?q=tolstoy genre

Retard.

Thanks, I usually take recommendations from r/edditors who like KonoSuba.

>paywall article that is not about the short story
>terrible high school essay: this story is realist because there's a peasant in it
you must really impress your tutor with these knowledge bombs

I'm not going to keep linking you articles. Look it up yourself, ignorant faggot. All of Tolstoy's work is considered Realist. It's not up for debate, or something OP or I are pulling out our asses. I've read the short story. I've read his major novels. I don't understand your obstinance. It's pitiful.

AK is two books sewn together. You're gonna love one and hate the other.

You might as well. You know the short form of the title, you're probably weeb trash yourself.

If I had to collect ten if the world's greatest parables this would come in right after the Book of Job.
I hated it the first time I read it but in hindsight it became a favorite. It's a terrible read but the philosophical content is essential

You're trying too hard user.

>>>r/anime

I liked Death of Ivan Ilyich and Where Love Is, God Is. Never read that one OP so I can't comment on how different it is, sorry.

>it's realism because I say so
>it's not up for debate
lmfao and to top it all off you're making this fucktarded stand trying to claim the most painfully obvious parable in fictional history is actually a work of 19th century realism.
Holy fuck.

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
read it

>Reading Tolstoy
Why? Dude was a faggot that was jealous that Napoleon get's circlejerked by military historians while his Russian generals get delegated to Russian Winter status.

>on Ulysses
>Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book.
>on Beckett
>Author of lovely novellas and wretched plays
>on Elliot
>Not quite first-rate
>on Salinger
>By far one of the finest artists in recent years

How can such an amazing author have such shit taste?

>amazing author
Meh.

folk tales aren't fables, you retard

>one is an absolute chat who after years of debauchery, fighting wars and just mucking about Europe realizes that God made man free and reinforced a personal relationship with Jesus and the liberation of worldwide working class
>the other is a resented gambling addict who spent his days getting more and more paranoid, moralizing, reactionary and burning every possible bridge until death
>you pick Tolstoy as the asshole

When did anyone ever mention fables? You're pathetic. Learn to read.

I'll concede that I made a small translation mistake in calling fairy tales fables, but the Grimm Brothers didn't compile folk tales, folk tales don't need to be fantastic, they compiled FAIRY tales, dolt.

I see no relation whatsoever between the things you listed and being an asshole.

Listen just read David Lodge on the fucking project of realist literature you obstinate eel.

Haven't gotten around to his short stories, but Anne Karenina is definetly one of my favorite novels, maybe surpassed only by The Brothers K.
I have never finished a 1000 pages book faster than Anna Karenina

>the Grimm Brothers didn't compile folk tales
Are you joking with me? Almost all folklore is fantastic. The Brothers Grimm were folklorists. Please do some research before making yourself seem ignorant, for no apparent reason besides wanting to argue.

>war and peace
>uncritical of its historical sources
>except the parts where tolstoy goes on for chapters telling the reader not to trust any history of any event
>not even the narrator's attack on the "great man" theory is exempt from doubt
>uncritical

Wow every post in this thread is terrible
this one included desu

>one of the worst short stories I've ever read
Either you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable unless you haven't read many short stories or you're a complete pleb / ragey teen. I can understand thinking the story is not particularly great, but calling it one of the worst is laughable.

>he can't access jstor

This is unsettling to me for some reason.
Also, you should kill yourself for thinking anyone who has different taste than you hasn't read a lot. It's blatantly ignorant.

thats not his point at all you fucking moron

no

>calling it one of the worst
I called it one of the worst I've ever read. I don't really stray outside of highly canonical authors, so most things I read are fairly interesting. Calling it one of the worst I've read isn't a stretch at all. I enjoyed literally every single story in The Arabian Nights more than this one, so that alone puts it outside my top 100. It really isn't that special.

>it's realist because it's got a peasant in it
>listen to this podcast
lmao

>doesn't understand what realism means in literature

Not the same person faggot.

please listen to Chingo Watkins on the nature of fucking parables
It's the one with a peasant in it right?

You were recommended a text by an established literary critic, not a podcast.

Yeah I figured after googling. But it isn't turning up anything about how much land does a man need and david lodge. Do you mind posting the part where he writes about it?

>It's the one with a peasant in it right?
Yes, actually.

amazing

I would say that the first thing to read by tolstoy is "the kingdom of god is within you" to understand his theology and point of view from the beginning. But his novels are good.