When will the book burning begin?

When will the book burning begin?

In all seriousness, it's clear we're heading that way. I don't think they'll be burnt physically except maybe as symbolism, but they'll burn them by blocking them from being sold, changing/removing language.

What are your thoughts Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/stream/menorahvolume00socigoog#page/n40/mode/2up
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eh put that statues in Civil War museums

There hasn't been a SINGLE threat of burning ANY book.

What books do you believe are threatened?

Probably has something to do with the pic related, innit?

How about no
It will happen, just wait and see.
>Muh misogynistic philosphers r offensiveeeeeeeee

Statues aren't books

Fuck, I thought the slopes didn't open up until winter?

you dont need book burnings when people dont have any idea of what to read besides pop culture

Well, it's slippery anyway.
>Muh raycis statues

See this I don't get. I understand the issue of some black population being uncomfortable attending schools named after confederate leaders. But statues should remain in place to remind everyone of the history of the land.

Or in another case, why not auction the statues?

unironically, I think book burning is super cool.

pic related, my favorite painting about book burning

I've got a few pretty deeply rooted connections to their movement through a multitude of dummy social media accounts. With some work and persistence I could probably get at least one book burning to happen. Any recs for the target author/book? Something that they could easily be convinced is dangerous but seems completely harmless to the rest of the world

second favorite painting of book burning. Also, the scholars are being tossed into a mass grave and buried alive.

Any classic

considering most booksellers are probably liberal, is it really that hard to imagine them someohow blocking disagreeable literature.. i mean let's face it, there is a lot of classic literature that is no longer being taught or in print anymore all because "muh racist" People like Frank Norris used to have an esteemed place in the american cannon now you never here about him at all

First they came for the history books, then the biology books, the philosophy books, all that was laid down they disagreed with.

There ought to be only one theory allowed and dissent was to be snuffed out.

It happened that... the victors not just wrote the history books.

t. user

Not Book Burning

To Kill a Mockingbird

>It happened that... the victors not just wrote the history books.

>burning of books
>implying that the masses still read

Books are not what they used to be. If anything, what is far more likely, is the forcing of shutting down certain websites

All could be cleared if Trump takes the stick off his ass. We're reaching moments where the admin would say that the sky isn't blue just because CNN says that the sky is fucking blue. This spiteful shit cannot work.

Tribalism crap is devouring the current political sphere.

It's two fold. The primary reason behind this is summed up by the phrase "fuck drumpf and fuck white". The statue removal, strictly speaking, has nothing to do with the Confederacy, or even slavery. Rather, Slavery is a pretext of the removal of a statue to history involving Whites. We see other examples of this in Sweden, with museums destroying bodies and artifacts for this same purpose: the marginalization, oppression, and elimination of Europeans.

In short, they DON'T want people to remember history. And why would they? The CCP and Indian Marxist parties have demonstrated very well just how powerful the manipulation of history is when it comes to politics.

Coincidentally, it also helps to erase that awkward bit of history that is the Democrat Party's historical (and present) position on slavery and just what their ideal society would look like.

>americans

well considdring every book is online now, a literal burning wouldnt accomplish what book burnings of old times set out to do

Pretty much this. The media is playing a dangerous game of chicken. If the Left tries to start mass censorship all Trump has to do is enforce existing anti-trust laws in which case the Left's only remaining stronghold goes under. Imagine if, say, CNN just went offline as their entire board was dragged off in hand cuffs for running an oligopoly.

It's gonna be a fun seven more years.

>removing confederate statues from the streets = fuck whites

You've been on /pol/ too long.

Mein Kampf

>People like Frank Norris used to have an esteemed place in the american cannon now you never here about him at all
I'd appreciate some substantiation for the idea that Norris was ever so esteemed as you think him to be. It's best to compare him to a modern "best-seller" writer who writes novels of contemporary interest vs. the "great novelists" who write things that still speak generations later. It's not some intentional conspiracy that he's ignored now, he just was never really "great" and his novels became less and less relevant after the Progressive Era ended. I highly doubt anyone now or then put him among the likes of Melville, Twain, and Hawthorne.
>cannon
>never here about him
I mean, if anyone is going to bear the standard of American education, you seem like the guy. Not that these errors alone invalidate your argument, but they don't make it look great either.

The vast majority of booksellers still carry stuff like Hitler and de Sade despite them being outrageously offensive to big swaths of the population. If any books are going to be banned over this neo-nazi issue it would seem like "Mein Kampf" is a prime candidate. I seriously doubt that they would push to ban Lauren Southern etc. before they tried to ban the literal creator of nazism. Sure, there may be some "public pressure" to ban some books but I think most people by now recognize that radicalization happens online, not in bookstores. Kids are way more likely to get pulled into weird shit through /pol/ or other places than by wandering in a bookstore and reading Evola. Nowadays you just get anything you want online and banning the physical copies is barely going to put a dent in the dissemination of ideas.

>implying illiterates know which books to burn
you can't work out the sticky and you're probably as smart as a fed, so i think we're good, brah

Wow, a 'museum' dedicated to white supremacy? I think not.

(see how easy it is this can go on forever they want the statues wiped off the face of the earth)

Removing statues of Whites to erase Whites from history is indeed "fuck Whites". Take your head out of the sand and actually look what the alt-left is saying, m8o.

This is far more likely than literal book burnings imo (though I wouldn't be totally surprised at a few of those either). I think we can expect to see more attempts to cast 'problematic' classics out of the canon.

Lol You mean a .. Civil War Museum? Those confederate statues fit there.

But to leave them on the streets as some sort of symbolic patriotic crap that people admire? Nah, that's just calling for trouble.

Nah, they're removing statues that should not have been statues in the first place. Your argument is like "Germans should leave Hitler's statue..if they take it down, it's obvious they hate whites!" lolwut?

>all Trump has to do is enforce existing anti-trust laws in which case the Left's only remaining stronghold
You do realize that it was the progressivists that created anti-trust laws, right? And that the left hates big corporations probably more than you do? I don't understand how big corporations are suddenly an avatar of the left now. If big pharmaceutical companies or AT&T got sued you'd probably see liberals dancing in the streets.
>CNN just went offline as their entire board was dragged off in hand cuffs for running an oligopoly
What is your definition of an oligopoly? That there aren't many competitors in the field? There are way more media organizations clamoring for your attention today than ever. It's pretty weird to claim that some news channel has a monopoly on the market.
>seven more years
Let's wait to see how the next three turn out, Nostradamus. We live in pretty unpredictable times, as 2016 itself proved.

the weird thing is how totally rational people have just been reduced to braindead zombie liberal talking points 'nazi''russians', formerly respectable thinkers just parroting utter trash now. WTF is going on?

Was told my school has 500 000 books on campus. Soon it will be 50 000. They're getting rid of the physical books in favour of a mostly digital library.
What books should I try 'forget to return' that will inevitably be burnt.

Not him but whats the point of removing statue of controversial figures? It doesn't erase what they did

>I'd appreciate some substantiation for the idea that Norris was ever so esteemed as you think him to be. It's best to compare him to a modern "best-seller" writer who writes novels of contemporary interest vs. the "great novelists" who write things that still speak generations later. It's not some intentional conspiracy that he's ignored now, he just was never really "great" and his novels became less and less relevant after the Progressive Era ended. I highly doubt anyone now or then put him among the likes of Melville, Twain, and Hawthorne.
thats the expected response from someone that is successfully brainwashed by current american "canon" and i use that term to represent what you are taught and exposed to throughout your education. you compare him to a bestseller? how about actually reading him his works have far more insight into the american experience than other american naturalists that are taught in schools like crane and drieser...point out spelling errors all you like, but you are the one that sounds like an idiot talking about an author youve clearly never read

You mean removing them from the streets? Why the hell would people leave Hitler, Stalin,etc statues on the damn street just because "muh history". Put that shit in a fitting historical musuem.

Statues on the streets should only be for founding fathers and figures that had legitimate positive impact on the country.

Yes, tearing down monuments to the confederacy is clearly the same as burning books, you dumb racist.

He didn't say Confederate museum you dumbass he said Civil War

Haven't there literally been calls to remove "nigger" from old books (Twain's books come to mind, and maybe To Kill a Mockingbird as well)?

As a blackanon, it is somewhat of a negative "shock" to see it in books, but at the same time, I'm aware of its historical usage. I don't say nigga/nigger/etc. in real life, either, if that's at all relevant. It is interesting to see "nigger" appear in random contexts in nonetheless old books: Within a Budding Grove had a random instance of it (now that I think about it, does "nigger" even translate in French?).

These dudes aren't being erased from history, they're being re-evaluated as no longer positive role models.

It would not make sense to have statues of Hitler around Germany just as an educational tool about white history or whatever. You could read about him whenever you want and he doesn't need a statue to be remembered just so he isn't "erased from history." For the most part statues are supposed to represent some positive civic value, which neither Hitler nor a lot of these confederate statues do.

These statues (or plaques or flags of whatever) still make sense as representatives of that period and could/should be featured in some kind of museum or library (just like Nazi memorabilia are). They don't make sense as the public face of a city, which is what they're currently being used as.

>Not him but whats the point of removing statue of controversial figures? It doesn't erase what they did
I think the question your asking is 'what is the purpose of public art?'. Historically, it's been used by governments and churches to reflect ideology.

So iconoclasm, desecration, whatever you want to call it, the destruction of public art objects, is an ideological aggression. It's an attempt to make visible a shift (or desired shift) in politics. This is why ISIS destroys temples, this is why east european countries tear down statues of Lenin, this is why leftists tear down statues of confederates.

Today's public art tends to be either industrial minimalism or pop art, and that is because it reflects the dominant ideology of capitalism. Pic related, probably the most prominent public art sculpture in my city, Kansas City. I look forward to the day when the mob tears it down.

The problem is ultimately the internet is causing a practically magnetic force in society where people are stuck in their own tribes. Whereas once a shared enjoyment of media and literature helped mediate conversation between different ideologies there is increasingly little communication between each sphere.
America is being split into two nations each with their own notion of history and values and this act of tearing down the statue is part of a far larger strategy of liberals trying to destroy the historic narrative and ideals of America. With nothing to offer in its place

No, you're just fucking stupid.

Lurk moar, they're already calling for statues of Washington, Jackson, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, William Travis (lol wut?), and other whites to be removed. The Lincoln memorial was vandalized the other day. There are calls for the Alamo to be renamed because apparently the Texan war of independence is white supremacy, yes they're going after the Alamo. They even vandalized a holocaust memorial and pinned it on "Gnatsees", even though they did it because in their view, Jews are white and thus, racist. They believe whites are inheritely racist, like original sin. It was a slippery slope. It is about getting rid of whites. I knew that when you give in to leftists they want more, clearly they didn't read "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" as kids. They started with the controversial statues, and now they're moving onto less controversial. They just hate whites, period. Pic related, how they treat their "allies"

anyone interested in organizing a Veeky Forums approved book burning? We could burn Harry Potter or something.

We should burn Maps of Meaning

Probably at the same time that Obama takes all our guns and the UN puts us all in FEMA camps.

Well user what books do you think ISIS allowed? Act accordingly.

>Teddy Roosevelt
>Hitler or Stalin
Good lord.

The fact is there isn't a legitimate argument to leave such statues on the street. Primary reason for such statues (riding horses, standing heroically, etc) are symbols that are meant to be ADMIRED by the ones that see them.

All this dumbass "y u taking down history?! u must hate whites!" is just that. Dumbass shit. Put the damn stones in a museum - no one is telling you to erase history.

You take that back motherfucker badminton is the sport of Kings!

milk and honey would make more of a statement

General Robert E Lee was not fucking Hitler. He was an honorable man who did a respectable and humane job leading what he viewed as his homeland and when he lost was gracious and wise enough to surrender and lead what was left of his army to peace.
He deserves a statue as much as anyone

>"this book burning is a celebration of good taste"
That would be a hilarious thing to see on the news. And honestly, burning Harry Potter would trigger more people than most books.

Meant for

You didn't answer my question and instead just acted like you were too smart to answer it. Come on, help a pleb like me out. Just point me to some source putting him on the same level (of skill, not just having a similar style) as Crane and Dreiser or whoever else "supplanted " him in the canon. I am even willing to reconsider my opinion of Norris if you can just substantiate your claim that he had "an esteemed place in the American canon." No joke, I have an open mind and I am interested in your response.

I don't hate the guy and I never even said he was a bad author. But I don't think it's fair to act like he was shoved out of the canon when, to my knowledge, he was just never in it. There are plenty of decent authors who it's nonetheless strange to compare to the true greats.

not to mention lauded as the most capable man by union and confederate generals alike... i read Ulysses S Grants memoirs he had nothing but good things to say about Lee

I actually think Lee is one of the few confederate who is still worthy of statuification, for some of the reasons you list. I should have used the qualifier of "most" in my original post. Thanks.

Mind you there are countless statues of Christopher Columbus across the country and no one really pays no mind to those, despite what he did to the Natives. I understand that slavery and the race issue is the bigger picture being played here.

>Teddy Roosevelt
I was talking about confederates, which I admit I may not have fully clarified in my original post.

See, I don't particularly care what we burn. I just think book burning is neat.

They don't care about Colombus because even Right Wingers think he was a greedy guinea monster. This isn't about morality its about imposing their idea of society on others. Ideological domination

Poseur.

look asshole, im not gonna write out a fucking essay comparing and contrasting mcteague with american tragedy. i dont know how to show one is better than the other in a Veeky Forums post, id just recommend you read them... And i dont think im smart, you were the one that discounted norris, admittedly my favorite author, as the equivalent of a modern day bestseller

all i'd recommend is to read mcteague. i think you;d like him.

it's pretty naive to think that the canon hasnt been politicized over the last hundred, and that certain works arent included and excluded for reasons other than merit alone

The confederacy fought against what was perceived as an ever expanding and massively centralized government during an era where State's rights reigned supreme. So yes, you can see why Southerners would be upset that the memory of their ancestors would be pissed on and desecrated by the removal of statues. It's far beyond "racism" as you put it.

>Veeky Forums organizes book burning
>burns some obscure book nobody ever heard of
>books sales go through the roof as people rush to buy and then burn it
>suddenly every random author is self-publishing extremist manifestos so they too can get burnt
And so literature was saved.

>sad frog
but it's true.

Burn your diary faggot

heres something.. i know its not exactly what you meant archive.org/stream/menorahvolume00socigoog#page/n40/mode/2up

that looked like shit anyway lol

Most of these statues were erected in the 60s; many as recently as twenty years ago. They are not ancient artifacts. Their raising was an ideological assault. This is the fact of the matter. If you believe they should remain, it's because you agree with the ideology this represent. This crowing about "protecting history" is either uninformed or purposefully crypto.

*they represent

Take your head out of your ass.
What we want is consideration for the community of people to whom these statues represent a sense of pride and meaning in their history. That even in the darkest times there were people of virtue on both sides that we can look up to.
Whether they should or shouldn't have been put up in the first place doesn't change the fact they're here and if they are ever removed it should be after the consent and understanding of both communities not promoting mob justice like fucking chimpanzees.

WTF is this trash? Did Colbert send out a newsletter?

Colombus had some pretty damn strong ideology

>having slaves and being a massive faggot is part of american ideals
disgusting

Thank you! Most of the poor white bastards that fought for the confederate states fought in reality for the interests of rich slave owners. They neither owned slaves nor did they benefit from that institution.

They didn't have their daughters raped by niggers either

I don't deny that the canon has been politicized in some ways, I just don't think Norris started as high as you think he did. Like I said in the last post, I don't think he was necessarily crap in any way, just like modern bestsellers aren't necessarily crap, just not enduring works. May we part in peace, friend. I'm sorry if I was combative earlier.

Thank you for the link. That's a pretty interesting article, mostly the first few pages in regards to Norris's contemporary perception. Interestingly, Lebowich commends Norris for not "degenerating into Naturalism", which is the movement Norris is most associated with (as far as I know).

negre and coco and couple other terms (negre is like nigger, coco often used as "mon coco"/my nigga) in french.
they say nigger in dutch accounts which is a lot more slave trading than the US usually learns about but really interesting (east and west indies companies).

i think you can get an expunged twain. but it really isn't a good set of books to take the word out of.

some instances of it, such as graham greene or evelyn waugh using it, it's just reflective of the time and changing it to whatever the current term is on the PC treadmill wouldn't achieve much because you're already reading a pretty twisted and cynical book.

some things, though, taking that reflection of the age out allows the book to keep the same demographic in the current age. they've changed up enid blyton for children because repeatedly letting kids know black characters are called wogs with no alternative commentary probably isn't standard cultural navigation in most places that read enid blyton any more.
twain on the other hand loses a lot about historical commentary if you don't point out that it used be common to call all the black characters nigger at some point, and he's probably a better way of preserving that point than blyton who doesn't really have much sympathy for the wog characters.

they changed agatha christie's ten little niggers to ten little indians (to be less offensive) and now you'll mostly find it under the title "and then there were none". that makes sense because if you reincarnated agatha christie's original readers now, they'd all drop her for that title and probably stage her second disappearance for her. they know what the original title(s) were and what changed, but they do want the option of the one you can read in public.

You know it's incredible how well a group of rich elite sociopaths can manipulate poor working class whites into supporting policies so utterly at odds with their own class interests, and all by playing to their delusions that blacks, Mexicans, Jews, or some other despised group is out to get them. You know rape their daughters and all that....

Its especially easy when its true. What you think blacks raping white girls wasnt an issue after the slaves were freed?

Despite what your friends might have told you, user, Appalachia really isn't that incredible.

I'm not the guy you're responding to but I had a few questions.

>these statues represent a sense of pride and meaning in their history
Can you be more specific here? What do you regard the points of pride to be, and do you think protesters agree with you? Is history less "meaning"ful if it's put in a museum rather than a public, street, say?

I'm legitimately not trying to trap you or anything, I am genuinely curious as to your answers.

>it should be after the consent and understanding of both communities
Fair enough. Do you think that the community would indeed consent to the maintenance of the statues? How would you prefer that consent to be expressed? A referendum, a law passed by a legislative body, or some other option?

Comfortable lies are cowardly. Most importantly they're lies. There is a wealth of inspiring history a southerner can learn from and take pride in, from the massive labor movements that built the unions to struggles that they will fight today.

>B-BTFO

That's exactly why the mythology was propagated. Rapacious expropriators had once again forced the miserably impoverished to fight for capital and against the diminishing profits of a ruling class that is still in power in the South.

Rather than risk backlash against this terrible crime they constructed castles in the air and brainwashed the children of the defeated people from birth for generations.

I'm not him, but as far as I know a lot of the South kind of regard them as their founding fathers? If my country tried to take down a statue of only one side of our civil war, there'd be another fucking civil war.

>Is history less "meaning"ful if it's put in a museum rather than a public, street, say?
Of fucking course it is, its lifeless, Museums are where history goes to die, equivalent of shoving your shit into the attic.
The pride comes from knowing that even if the side your community is identified with is now regarded as being in the wrong that they still had men of great talent and valor despite their choice of cause. That in the future you may have something to offer in turn as they had something to offer. That they were not simply a blight on this planet with no hope of redemption.

I don't care about the technicalities of how the statues should be dealt with, at the very least by legislators who are directly accountable for their decisions.

The Civil War: A Narrative

Say it's only a narrative by a problematic white southerner male's (Foote) perspective.

The men were a blight on the planet. Southerners are not. I love the real culture of the south, texas fiddleplaying and western swing and banjo music and the Allman Brothers and the Matewan strikers, not the false one conjured up by the politicians to run cover for the ideology they serve.

Oh great here's /leftypol/ pasting his prescribed opinions

Hurrrr hurrr durr hir
Fuck off loser

Really made me think lads.

>lads

lol what do you think you are, a Dickens character?

>internet makes opposing ideologies more isolated
>America is becoming two nations because of this
>our interpretation of history is just as real as your fake one

what the fuck are you saying nigger? you cant just post a cool roman picture and expect everything to jive.

People complain about them once year, and then they quickly forget about it. I see three statues of Columbus on a daily basis.

In all honesty, I've seen people making the same point in the same manner in multiple threads. Wouldn't be surprised if someone was trying to push the progressive talking points onto the site.
Let me dictate to people what their culture is. Did I tell you I'm a fan!.
No matter how overbearing the left is at the moment, I really can't see them burning books. If anything I imagine some far right group would start burning books by James Baldwin, Audre Lorde, Herbert Marcuse, and Michel Foucault before the goes as far as to burn any.

>The men were a blight on the planet
not the guy you're talking to, but jfc who died and made you god?
>real culture of the south
>not the false one conjured up by the politicians
...wouldn't that make you more likely to defend the confederates? i mean, the north took west virginia willingly. that's gotta raise some doubts about the lincoln statues' futures and his blight diagnosis.

>real interpretation of history

Nice meme

How do I know liberals weren't behind this post, wanting me to focus my attention on book burning just so they could steal more statues, pass legislation to own a confederate flag, or buy up all available assault ammunition?