Has Continental philosophy made direct or indirect contributions to anything other than philosophy itself...

Has Continental philosophy made direct or indirect contributions to anything other than philosophy itself, like analytic has via math and possibly logic/computer science?
The only instance I'm definitely aware of is Lawvere using aspects/ideas of Hegelian philosophy to generate certain ideas within Category/Topos Theory.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Husserl is apparently experiening a revival due to Phenomenology having great interest to current work in understanding AI and cognition

>direct or indirect contributions to anything other than philosophy itself
It appears you have no clue about Deleuze on architecture, Debord and Baudrillard on media, Hubert Drefyus on artificial intelligence research (seriously go and read the funniest article in the entirety of Wikipedia right now), in literary studies you have Barthes, the man that murdered the Author...

But these are all very recent examples, why don't we go all the way back, to Kant's Critique of Judgement and its effects on Romanticism's quest for the Sublime? Even a guy like Goethe who wasn't the biggest fan of the aptly named Kant, and the writing thereof, had to acknowledge the Third Critique.

Or what about certain political movements and that guy, what's his name again, Hmm... I think it was Xarl Mark? Something like that.

If aything it's analytic philosophy that has to prove itself, matey.

Analytic "political" "philosopher" Rawls is held up as a heroic visionary when in fact he was a fucking idiot celebrity who wrote a book full of big words.

>in literary studies you have Barthes, the man that murdered the Author...

You lost all credibility here

you mean life

t. dead author of that post

I'm aware of Dreyfus' contributions to AI but I'm not sure they hold up as well as they used to, then again it's been a while since I remember looking into that stuff. The others I'm not aware of to be fair.
> Or what about certain political movements and that guy, what's his name again, Hmm... I think it was Xarl Mark? Something like that.
I consider political ideologies to largely be an aspect of philosophy itself.
> If aything it's analytic philosophy that has to prove itself, matey.
Ok
> Overthrow thousands-year old logic and lay the groundwork for our current understanding via Gottlob Frege
> Create Type Theory via Bertrand Russel
> Alfred Tarski creates model theory
> Both Alonzo Church and Kurt Godel publish seminal math papers in the philosophy journal analysis mid century
> Alonzo Church creates lambda calculus and makes numerous breakthroughs in theoretical foundational mathematics/computer science
>make contributions to probability via Patrick Suppes, Richard Jeffrey, and others
> Make contributions to information theory via Fred Dretske
> Make contributions to game theory via Brian Skyrms and David Lewis
> Make contributions to non-classical systems via George Boolos, Saul Kripke, Graham Priest, and many others
> Make contributions to computer science, machine learning, and probabilistic models of causality via John Pollock, Judea Pearl, and Clark Glymour
> Make contributions to category theory and help to create homotopy type theory via Steve Awodey

Lots of stuff with literary theory, political philosophy, anthropology, psychology (via psychoanalysis), jurisprudence. I suppose you would be aware of this, and maybe could count some of these as philosophy (lots of literary theory is heavily indebted to hermeneutics and phenomenology). I suppose I could make a big list.

If you mean stuff outside of these. Umberto Eco was a trained medieval philosopher, and wrote a lot on semiotics and postmodernism. His outside stuff would be his literary output, his semiotics, his literary theory.

Gilles Châtelet is a continentally-influenced mathematician. Nothing ground breaking similar to some of the analytics in math, but he contributed to continental philosophy of science and also was known for cultural criticism outside philosophy.

Another continental philosopher of science is Fernando Zalamea who is influenced by a bunch of earlier continental philosophy of science guys (Bachelard, Koyré, Cavaillès, among others). Zalamea's work has had an indirect influence on some mathematicians working on foundational areas like category theory. Last time I checked a few years back there was a review of his book and listed in the philosophy readings of one of the main category theorists sites on the net run by mathematicians.

>If aything it's analytic philosophy that has to prove itself, matey.

Shut the fuck up and stop treating philosophy like a fucking football team.

>I consider political ideologies to largely be an aspect of philosophy itself.
Are sociology, political assassinations, revolutions, Brecht's plays and poems branches of philosophy too? Remember that you asked even for indirect effects.

>Ok
But no one is denying analytic philosophy contributes to philosophical logic and the philosophy of mathematics and science in its eternal quest for the limits of language and reason. Where are the effects on the arts?

>Shut the fuck up and stop treating philosophy like a fucking football team.
Blame OP for tossing the coin.

> Where are the effects on the arts?
I'm not sure as I don't focus on aesthetics much. That being said Analytic aesthetics is its own branch of philosophy and has likely produced some level of influence or effect, I'm just not personally aware of it.

>all these language games

Continental philosophy has probably indirectly killed more people than any other academic discipline.

Maybe physics can take the throne if WW3 happens.

Bump

>tfw this is actually true

lies, life is eternal. Jesus died so humans don't have too.

No one has died in over 2000 years.

Every writing is made of quotes.

Change "continental philosophy" to "guns" and there you have it.

That just means it produces things worth fighting/dying for

Guns don't kill people...
youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk

I wholeheartedly recommend Kevin McDonald, author of the Culture of Critique serious on the (((question))) of continental philosophy. Educate yourself OP.

fuck off dude ive seen you in like 3 threads now

Guns are tools. Do hammers build tables, or do carpenters?

This.

Thanks for proving my point.

Most prominent continental philosophers are/were white gentiles.