Begginer Philosophy Books

I really want to read more philosophy, thus far all I've read was technical books about finance (which is my professional/academic passion), but in order to satiate my need for knowledge and goal in life I want to start reading philosophy.

What are good starting books? A friend recommended me Sophie's World, I think it might be interesting, but I want something more serious.

I'm thinking of buying all of Plato's works on Amazon, but I don't think that would be a good start. Thoughts? What books should I read, and in what order?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why buy the whole corpus if you don't know if you like it. just go to the library

also it depends on your interests

Just read Wittgenstein and then you can stop worrying about this stupid shit.

Nietzsche

Read Sophie's World. It's a good intro.

And from there, you can do two things: You can take a look in more detail about philosophy as a whole, in which case get Anthony Kenny's "
A New History of Western Philosophy" - much better than Russel's - and as a starting source, start at the beginning with "The First Philosophers" (Oxford World Classics).

I'd say get Sophie's World, a good one-volume history of philosophy, some Plato (Republic most likely) and perhaps some early modern epistemology like Descartes/Leibniz and Hume/Locke. You don't have to necessarily buy it all at once, but most of those works can be bought in cheap paperbacks versions (Wordsworth ed. and the like) or be picked up at the library.

You can move to Kant's Prolegomena and some Aristotle after that.

read copelstone's the history of philosophy series and then read whatever sounds most innately interesting to you

>misusing innately
>giving philosophy advice

Reading philosophy is a waste of time.

Check out Irvin D. Yalom
He has books on spinoza Nietzsche Schopenhauer etc. always sprinkles in some psychoanalysis as well and from what I remember they are entertaining and relatively light reads

What the hell do you read? Sci Fi?

But only through Philosophy could you ever come to that conclusion

Start with the Greeks.

I went from zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, which is not an academic work but a mix of philosophic thought and fiction. I think it's a good introduction to socratic thought, and it got me interested in the field.
Then I read penguin's plato: early socratic dialogues (ion, lysis, laches, charmides, hippias, euthydemus), and phaedo, phaedrus from another book. Phaedo, phaedrus and republic are probably best saved for later, since they are more of platos reasoning than socrates.

Dunno what the consensus about the zen book is here, I'm new here. I think i would be very confused about socrates if i hadn't read it, though.
Maybe you're better of listening to someone else, i dunno.

>I'm thinking of buying all of Plato's works on Amazon
You do know all the works of these long dead bearded dudes are in public domain and you can download them for free? Just saying, so you won't blow all of your salary/allowance on Plato unnecessarily.

Philosophy: The Basics by Nigel Warburton

Good ol'Witty bashed metaphisic, not necessarily all other philosophies

An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
Meditations on First Philosophy
Critique of Pure Reason

Definitely read The Story of Philosophy by
Will Durant. Not sure if I'd say it's the absolute first Philosophy book you should read but I still would consider it essential.

>Anthony Kenny
this

ye

Veeky Forums Philosophy Project
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

Start at the beginning of what's considered "Proper" philosophy. Read as much Plato as you can stand, then as much Aristotle as you can stand, then the Enchirideon, then De Rerum Natura. Then if you're still into the whole thing move through chronologically. It's better to get this stuff from the horse's mouth then to read somebody explaining it to you.

This meme is pretty annoying, please, for the good of all, stop

Just because it's a meme doesn't mean it's not correct.

Good stuff, thanks. I like the penguin editions but I will now have to give loeb a try.