Horizontally

>Horizontally
>Horizon
I JUST figured this out. I'm almost 30. I feel like a fucking moron.

woah

>verticloudy
>cloudy

What.
The.
Frick.

So this is what it feels like to have ascended.

Learning French made me realize that the word "news" is plural of "new."

>vertical
>vertigo
wew

This one is actually cool.

>alphabet
>alpha
>beta
OMG

>learn in French that "^" indicated there was an S before the circumflexed letter
>hôtel
>hostel

>indicated there was an S before the circumflexed letter
>an S before the circumflexed letter
>an S before
>before
What did he mean by this?

>Breakfast
>Because you're breaking the fast of not eating all night

woooaah

The M on Mario's hat stands for Martyr, hence the red overalls.

>"Terrific" used to be a bad thing since it comes from "Terror" like "Horrific" comes from "Horror"

>nigger
>niger, nigra, nigrum
>latin for black
no waaay

nice.

>two
no fucking way

>Black people have a lower average IQ than whites.

WOAH DUUUUDE MIND BLOWN!!

Fuck

Funnier is that at least in Portugal negro is more polite than preto

I wonder if in a few years "black" will be a profanity

Holy shit, is this legit?

yes

>the Burger King sign is supposed to be a burger

All this time...

>reading up on my Greek myth
>AHA-moments every day
>most recent one:
>Ixion, Sysiphus and Tantalus
>Tantalus was punished by forever having water up to his neck, unless he tried to drink, then it would dry up.
>and having a tree full of the best fruits just out of reach above him,
>starving and thirsting for eternity
>"tantalising"

Calling someone black was offensive for a while in the west, though. It's only swung back to the correct term because of the left's emphasis on race

Yeah. Interestingly, "breakfast" was also used as a verb in the past (it still _can_ be used as a verb, but almost no one does it). So you might say, "I breakfasted this morning".

Same in Brazil. Sometimes I've seen blacks call themselves "pretos". I imagine it's like the nigger situation in the anglo world.

>convertible
>able to be converted/changed

I remember when I was like 14 and "figured it out." Felt like a fucking idiot.

Holy shit.

So this is what it feels like to be an English speaker...

really an inferior race, now we have the proof

>Veeky Forums
>it's short for literature

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
this whole time i thought it meant lit like that rap song

two ones that my wife got recently:

>why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side!
the other side being heaven, the afterlife, etc.

>it's always in the last place you look
she interpreted it as "it's always in the last place you'd *think* to look" rather than it is literally in the last place you look because you found it there

Ariadne gives Theseus a ball of yarn to help him find his way out of the Minotaur’s labyrinth. Theseus unravelled the yarn behind him as he went into the maze, so that he could work his way back out in reverse.

The ancient greek word for a ball of yarn was "clew"...

i never understood this myth: does not a labyrinth differ from a maze, in that there is only one solution to a labyrinth? why, then, would theseus need the yarn? i thought the danger of the labyrinth was the minotaur, not navigation.

I see you've never read Borges...

If you get lost in a labyrinth it doesn't matter if it's got 1 exit, you're still dead.

I'm gonna use that every time I accidentally write clew instead of clue. I do that quite often.

Fuck dude. I knew European culture was significantly influenced by the Greeks, but wew.
Even huge portions of Abrahamic religions. I should have known this, but holy fuck. I always figured Judaism was relatively divorced. Seems I was very wrong.
I think it's meant as a maze.

It is still used that way in German. Fruhstucken.

>Virtue: virtuous.

Oh, cool story user. Tell us another.

>Vice: vicious.

i hope you boyim are memeing for the heck of it

I believe I first understood the difference between horizontal and vertical around the turn of the millennium, when Vertical Limit was released on DVD and so, for a few years after in order to ensure that I could tell the difference I recalled the promotions for this film, reminding myself that a movie about mountain climbing would be silly if it were instead titled Horizonal Limit.

>the other side being heaven, the afterlife, etc.

...no. It's literally just an anti-joke.

>>it's always in the last place you look
oh dang, that's pretty clever

That specific wording of it is rare, though; your wife is right to think of it as "last place you'd think to look". But your version works great as an antijoke/dadjoke.

>why did the chicken cross the road? to get to the other side!

You know I'm pretty sure this is just an anti-joke - it subverts the expectation for a punchline that causes an information explosion.

If it was about the afterlife why would a chicken be the subject of the joke? Why not a snail?

The word "labyrinth" became synonymous with "only one long solution to center" because of the ancient coins that depicted The Labyrinth -- which, of course, could not accurately draw the complexity of the Labyrinth.

So, the Labyrinth was really a maze, in that navigating it required making the right choices.

Mercy came from mercantile/merchant. As in
>I'll give you half a sack of potatoes and a sheep if you spare my life

You people continue to think of THE Labyrinth. The most famous one. That's okay, but a labyrinth can also be defined as any confusingly intricate state of things or events. It doesn't have to be a maze, specifically.

Again, please, read Borges.

>Super Martyr Bros.

makes sense.

Pretty sure that all came from merkin niggas.

Mollusks can't go to heaven

The point is that some people make the distinction between "labyrinths" and "mazes" in such a way. That distinction need not always apply, and each word can of course be used metaphorically in the intended or unintended way.

No I agree with you. I thought I was replying to someone else. There is a difference between a labyrinth and a maze.

Pubic wig?

Featherless bipeds

You can't eat your cake and have it too" makes more sense than the usual way. Ted Kaczynski used to say it that way and it was part of the reason he was found out because his brother recognized

"You can't eat your cake and have it too" makes more sense than the usual order it's said. Ted Kaczynski used to say it that way and his brother recognized it which lead to him being caught.

Wtf why did it doublepost. Just ignore.

>Pepe le Pew
>Hes a French cartoon skunk
>Because French people stink (and rape)
I only realized this one morning when I was 27

that's a really interesting story

Realized this myself few weeks ago and checked it - completely legit.

>Newfoundland
>new found land

>Holy Roman Empire
>neither Roman, holy or an empire

"Panic" stems from Pan, Greek deity who scared the shit out of people travelling through forests at night

Big if true

>shipping
the shit is transported on ships...

Yeah, I've thought of it this way for a few years now (maybe after having read about Kaczynski or just figuring it out; can't remember which).

"You can't have your cake and eat it, too" makes so little sense as an idiom that the meaning got super distorted. It now just means "you can't enjoy two separate things at the same time if they collide with one another." Sure, it keeps the metaphor, but the image of "you can't eat your cake and have it, too" gives a more poignant meaning of "There are certain things in life that you can't enjoy without losing some of that thing in the process."

this applies to like, New Zealand and Hawaii...

I'm older than you. I still get these once in a while

>president
>PRESIDES over something - a company, a country, etc. Often something big and important. However he doesn't necessarily OWN the thing, he's simply the man in charge of final decisions about what the thing will do.

>Veeky Forums
>it's just short for "literature"
Holy fuck... So that's why y'all sometimes referring to books in your shitposting.

Etymology is cool. Sadly, I did not appreciate it when I had the chance to study greek and latin in Uni.

> The Greek word for leisure (scholé) is the origin of Latin scola, English school.

The l's in 'parallel' are parallel.

Fuck outta here nigga, that's a called a fucking gauntlet.

Yeah. I didn't understand the saying for - well, my entire life until someone explained it to me. Then I got really pissed it wasn't the other way around because it makes so much more sense that way. I'm not in an english speaking country, so I can't used it any, but goddammit. Who fucking chose how to say that fucking phase? Who decided?

Top lel as in paral'lel'

Maybe it sounds better the other way around even if it makes less sense? I'm not sure, but phonology should not be underestimated.

>disease
>dis ease
as in no longer at ease

You can create a timline of the religion of that general area and see how it just morphs with the peoples.

The Italian "You can't have a full bottle and a drunken wife" is the patrician version

why did plato cross the street?

to kick diogenes in the balls

Oha, nice

Blood is thicker than water is a misnomer.
The original quote is Blood of the covenant is thicker than water of the womb. Which means that the people you chose are more important than the people you had no choice to associate with.

In fact, almost all famous phrases mean the exact opposite of what people usually use them for.

Im norweegian and i've studied latin, old norse and PIE, so i can basically deconstruct my entire language by now, its kinda cool.

But can you understand the Danish now?

>pancakes
>cakes which you make in a pan
Made me think

that's unfounded interpretation of its history though.

>that's unfounded interpretation
it's not rocket science, what's the other possible interpretations?

>alt-right
>alternative right-wing
woah

the shirt you're wearing was made in china

please return to r/showerthoughts

pre- is the prefix of prefix

so hsotel

holy shit- this may be the dumbest thing I've heard all month.

>the english word "first" denotes an element ehich precedes every other element in a set
>the german word "Fürst" can mean prince
>in monarchies, a prince is the person which precedes every other person in inheritance to the throne

when I was looking for things as a kid, my mom would always tell me "it's always in the last place you look". I'd interpret that as it's in a hard to find location and I'd start looking in the most obscure places.

Mmmm. German and english have a lot of words in common, but that's not one of them.
Really, Erst which means first in german is phonetically similar to first, and if we're stretching, that makes more sense.

thanks grr martin

>protestants
they protested some shit

by being even more traditionalist than what they were protesting.

>what is Veeky Forums.org/pol/

would you seriously fuck off.