Tfw Marinetti predicted Veeky Forums and Web 2.0 over a century ago:

tfw Marinetti predicted Veeky Forums and Web 2.0 over a century ago:

>Fortunately, the Variety Theater, born like us into the age of electricity, is without traditions, masters, or dogmas, and it feeds on the rapidly passing events of the moment.
>The Variety Theater is pure action and sets out to distract and amuse, using comic effects, erotic suggestion, or startling imagination.
>Authors, actors, and stagehands, in the Variety Theater, have only one raison d’être, one means of triumph, that of endlessly inventing new ways of causing amazement. From which it follows that it is absolutely impossible for them to fall into stagnation or to repeat themselves.
>And here are just a few of these wondrous inventions: 1. powerful caricatures; 2. the very depths of absurdity; 3. delightful, unsurpassable ironies; 4. all-embracing, definitive symbols; 5. cascades of uncontrollable laughter; 6. well-conceived analogies between human beings, the animal kingdom, the plant world, and the world of machines; 7. glimpses of revealing cynicism; 8. intricate interplay of witty sayings, puns, and riddles, which have the effect of airing the brain in an enjoyable manner; 9. the whole gamut of laughter and smiles to calm the nerves; 10. the whole gamut of silliness, idiocy, gawkiness, and absurdities, which drive intelligence imperceptibly to the edge of madness; 11. all the new meanings of light, sound, noise, and words, with their mysterious and inexplicable extensions into the least known parts of our sensibilities; 12. the piling up of events that are raced through in an instant, and of stage characters bundled off, from right to left, in a couple of minutes [...]; 13. instructive satirical pantomime; 14. caricatures of grief and nostalgia, strongly imprinted upon our sensibilities through gestures that are exaggerated by their spasmodic, hesitant, and wearying slowness; grave words made ridiculous by comic body language, bizarre disguises, twisted words, grimaces, and buffoonery.
>The Variety Theater of today is a melting pot of the many elements of a new sensibility in the making. In it one finds an ironic decomposition of all the tired old stereotypes—the Beautiful, the Great, the Solemn, the Religious, the Ferocious, the Seductive, and the Terrifying, as well as abstract sketches of the new prototypes that will take their places.

[cont]

Other urls found in this thread:

arquivopessoa.net/textos/2459
my.mixtape.moe/wvxgym.epub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The Variety Theater is thus a synthesis of everything that humankind has hitherto instinctively refined to lift its spirits, by laughing at material and moral anguish. What’s more, it is the bubbling fusion of all laughter, all smiles, all guffaws, all contortions, and all grimaces of future humanity.
>The Variety Theater is the only one that closely involves the audience. The latter does not sit there unmoving, like some stupid voyeur, but noisily participates in the action. It sings along with the actors, beats time with the orchestra, and communicates through spontaneous witticisms and bizarre exchanges with the actors, who themselves lark about with the musicians.
>The Variety Theater is an instructive schooling in sincerity for the male, since it plays up his predatory instincts as well as tearing away all the woman’s veils, all her words, her sighs, her romantic sobs that deform her and conceal her true qualities. Instead, it emphasizes all the admirable, instinctive qualities in a woman, her particular strengths—her grasp of things, her seductiveness, her fickleness, and her resilience.
>The Variety Theater is a school for subtlety, complexity, and mental synthesis for its clowns, its conjurors, its mind readers, its geniuses with mental arithmetic, its goofy actors, its imitators and parodists, its musical wizards, and its American eccentrics, those whose pregnant fantasies give birth to the most unlikely objects and devices.
>The Variety Theater is the only school to recommend to quickwitted adolescents and youngsters because it rapidly and incisively explains the most abstruse problems and the most complex political events.
>The Variety Theater is naturally antiacademic, primitive, and naive, and thus carries more significance because of the unexpectedness of its revelations and the simplicity of its means.
>The Variety Theater destroys the Solemn, the Sacred, the Serious, and the Sublime in Art with a capital A. It assists in the Futurist destruction of immortal masterpieces, by plagiarizing them, parodying them, treating them casually, without formal presentation and without any apologies, just like any other ordinary turn.

is marinetti good? i think deleuze mentions him in abecedaire

Good pasta. Which book of his are you reading?

Sounds like something out of Pynchon.

The Variety Theater

arquivopessoa.net/textos/2459

>arquivopessoa.net/textos/2459
What?

>arquivopessoa.net/textos/2459

Álvaro de Campos is a great, if not my favorite, heteronym of Pessoa. Is there a relation to Marinetti?

If he could only see the dank pepe memes we deal in today

Sorry but I don't read Italian """philosophers"""

I'm sorry, I copypasted the wrong link.

my.mixtape.moe/wvxgym.epub

It was posted in a previous thread about Futurism.

Pynchon also predicted Veeky Forums

>"Once I will say it, is all: that Crew does not live, it experiences. It does not create, it talks about people who do. Varèse, Ionesco, de Kooning, Wittgenstein, I could puke. It satirizes itself and doesn't mean it. Time magazine takes it seriously and does mean it."

>"It's fun."

>"And you are becoming less of a man."

Pleb

Marinetti wasn't a """philosopher""", he was a dumb fascist dwarf who loved cars and wanted to fuck more and become jungle man (though he didn't want to cut his ugly moustache). It only happens that he had some good ideas about art.

gotta go fast

>shitting on Ionesco
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

S P E E D

>>shitting on Ionesco
Do you know how to read?

saved

>good ideas about art
citation needed

If you like Marinetti you should read Virilio. Speed and Politics is a good start.

extremely good.
Futurism was the most fundamental and purest form of modernism. Everything else is puerile fashion next to the Futurists.

>Futurism was the most fundamental and purest form of modernism. Everything else is puerile fashion next to the Futurists
>puerile fashion

Cool it with the hyperbole. I'd consider myself a futurist partisan, but to deride opposing movements as just fashion is to ignore their important philosophical challenges. Surrealism, Dada, Constructivism, these were just as 'deep' as futurism, and not just posturing.

>Cool it with the hyperbole
NO
All other decadent movements must SUBMIT