Veeky Forumss Martini of choice

Going to try making Martinis tonight. Shaken, stirred, vodka, gin, dirty? The options seem endless.

Nobody outside James Bond movies shake them. Don't do that.
It's just gin and vermouth, though, so the real worry is which gin and which vermouth.
I like Tanqueray and, especially, Tanqueray Ten for the gin and Nolly Prat for the vermouth, but I honestly haven't tried many other vermouths.
Have you had martinis before? Did you like them and why? I mean, do you want them stinging your tongue or tasting a lot of juniper or what?

>gray goose martini
>shaken
>extra dirty
>garnish with a blue cheese stuffed olive

Never had one. I don't go to bars and want to try em. I'm not a huge fan of juniper-y gin. Was hoping vodka was a proper replacement. I dont mind the alchohol sting as i sip other alchohols straight.

Wtf is with the cheese stuffed olives. Seems really weird in an alcoholic drink.

Martinis are alot better when they're a Bloody Mary... With Celery and a drop of beef broth.

Martinis are a meme
Margaritas are the only good cocktail

Gin martini of choice is equal parts Fords and dry vermouth with a lemon twist

Vodka martini of choice is Tito's with minimal vermouth and a shit load of olive brine

You could make me a martini, but do not dare overcharge for fucking titos. NO vermouth

Make a Manhattan instead.

>mint julep
>old fashioned
>la paloma
>hairy navel
>michelada
>white Russian

My martini of choice is either Hendrick's or The Botanist gin, well chilled by stirring in a glass filled with ice, then strained into a cocktail glass with either vermouth simply present for the ritual, or even a few drops in the drink if I'm feeling saucy

A Martini is gin and vermouth. Make a dry Martini with 3 parts gin (I use Boodles) to 1 part dry vermouth (I use Noilly Prat). NEVER shake a Martini. That's the surest sign that you have no idea what you're doing. Garnish with a lemon twist. You can use an olive if you must, but ONE only. Do NOT pour any brine into the drink. The whole point is balance, not to drink alcoholic cold saltwater.

I always thought the rule was an odd number of olives. so 1 or 3

3 is for morons. Balance is the key. Honestly, a twist is the preferred garnish.

Best post ITT. I may not agree with the vermouth ratio, but spot on.

I'll add, chill the fucking glass. Also, using a proper glass is essential.
>Had dinner with family at "the club"
>Order martini, up, with a twist
>Brings martini in meme glass with no stem
>Glass not chilled
>Glass blobmass base sucks all the chill out of liquid
pic related, the amount of money they pay to be served absolute shit baffles me

cheap ass vodka, stirred, sewer dirty with 5 olives

Bombay Dry gin, a soft whisper of the driest of vermouth, 2 cocktail onions.

So, just cheap vodka, neat, then.

it's clear liquor and vermouth
it's really the opposite of endless

The restaurant I worked at started using these glasses because dumbasses kept breaking/spilling the normal stemmed ones.

That's a gibson, though.

Went through a phase where I was making martinis like a madman. Were my pop's fav drink but he made them like shit with tanqueray and added bitters. It tasted like hair gel.

Superior recipe = 2 parts vermouth, 1 part gin, 1 part olive juice (the stuff the olives are floating in), 5 olives, everything right out of the fridge. Feel free to add more olive juice to taste.

I agree with this poster, but suggest as an alternative the late Queen Mother's favourite tipple, the so-called "Royal Martini":
>2 measures Dubonnet Blanc
>1 measure Tanqueray No.10
>serve in a glass with a slice of lemon (no seeds) at the bottom and three cubes of ice

It's got that quinine kick as if from a really good gin and tonic, then the botanicals hit you, then the alcohol hits you.

It's how the Queen Mother got through the day, and Queen Elizabeth II likes them too.

They might seem endless, but a real martini is gin and stirred. It's ok to prefer some sort of James Bond derivative, but only if you do so with the understanding that it has only a spurious relationship with a true martini.

Also, a single drop of orange bitters. Most recipes won't mention that, but trust me. You don't cook without at least a little salt, you don't make cocktails without bitters.

Put Tanqueray in shaker with ice.
Say the word "Vermouth."
Shake shaker and strain gin into glass.
Garnish with bleu cheese olives and/or anchovies stuffed olives.
Drink gin, eat olives.
Repeat.

Practice talking like Jason Statham.
>do you know what I mean?
>Joe Mean?

(OP)
This is how I communicate my order at the bar:

"Gin martini, straight up with olives"
If they ask what type of gin I want -
"Tanqueray" because every bar has it and it's usually the cheapest acceptable gin