What's the best translation of this work?

What's the best translation of this work?

The one I'm working on desu

The Norton Critical edition. Always go with the Norton Critical Edition.

None

Italian to English is the worst thing ever

jesus christ thank you man

Post it you faggot

AN: Special fangz (get it, coz Im goffik) 2 my gf (ew not in that way) virgil, bloodyaeneid666 4 helpin me wif da story and spelling. U rok! Beatrice ur da luv of my deprzzing life u rok 2! MCR ROX!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi my name is Dante and I have long ebony black hair with purple streaks and red tips that reaches my mid-back and icy blue eyes like limpid tears and a lot of people tell me I look like Amy Lee (AN: if u don’t know who she is get da hell out of here!). [[I’m not related to Virgil but I wish I was because he’s a major fucking hottie. I’m a vampire but my teeth are straight and white. I have pale white skin. I’m also a witch, and I go to a catholic church in italy where I’m in the midpoint of my life's journey (I'm fourty-three). I’m a catholic (in case you couldn’t tell) and I wear mostly black. I love Hot Topic and I buy all my clothes from there. For example today I was wearing a black corset with matching lace around it and a black leather miniskirt, pink fishnets and black combat boots. I was wearing black lipstick, white foundation, black eyeliner and red eye shadow. I was walking through Hell. It was snowing and raining so there was no sun, which I was very happy about. A lot of the damned stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.

>not Aniee Us
fucking hack fraud

no problem famiglia. ho molti immagini di Veeky Forums

>WELCOME TO THE GRAVE CAVE

the best one you'll find easily available is without a doubt the one you posted

If you don't read Esolen you're a moron. The translation is extremely elegant and readable, especially as you get further through the trilogy (hell is almost entirely non-rhyming, but "the music gets sweeter" as the reader ascends). The Italian is displayed on the facing page, which is always nice, and his footnotes are useful, even if his appendices are a bit stupid.

Lol, no. Pic related is from the Norton Critical Edition of Ovid's Metamorphoses.

can i get a translation for this??Thanks in advance

If you sit down and compare selected passages from Mandelbaum (as suggested by user above) and Esolen you will almost always find that Esolen's translation is significantly smoother and more pleasant to read, without losing any of Mandelbaum's accuracy. Compare this passage from Purgatorio canto 27 (*spoiler alert*)

Mandelbaum:
"Await no further word or sign from me:
your will is free, erect, and whole—to act
against that will would be to err: therefore
I crown and miter you over yourself.”

Esolen:
"No longer wait for what I do or say.
Your judgment now is free and whole and true;
to fail to follow its will would be to stray.
Lord of yourself I crown and miter you."

More

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA

although I will concede that all of Mandelbaum's translation is available at the Columbia Digital Dante website with some rather good commentary.

Regarding translations, I normally just get whichever one Penguin Classics has.

It's hard to believe it's real, but it is. You can check it on Google Books.

you are literally The Decline of the West

I did a quick comparison and, while they're all garbage compared to the original, the Hollander and the Singleton translations are the ones that i would pick.

I picked up Mandelbaum's translation of Metamorphoses on recommendation and, I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with its poetic..heft? I'm not in any position to make a comparative judgment with the original, as I don't speak or read Latin, but nevertheless I am left unmoved and disappointed by his rendering.

Could you recommend an alternative? Or will Ovid remain inaccessible to me?

Penguin ain't done me wrong yet

>this can't be real!
I thought you were joking

I regret that I also have been struggling my way through Mandelbaum's Metamorphoses, and have been feeling the same way as you. I am almost tempted to pick up Ted Hughes' freely-translated rendering of selected stories from the Metamophoses just so I have something that's pleasant to read. >_

Ciardi sounds the best.

I still get a bit miffed that neither John Dryden or Alexander Pope bothered to translate Commedia. Their translations of the Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, and Georgics are all divine. On the other hand, I have always felt every translation I've read of the Commedia has been lacking. The modern translations are especially chloroform in print—Hollander's edition has some nice scholarship with it, though.

I have to agree friends, this comedy IS divine. Remember to pay your taxes (:

Litterally the Gates of Hell should be translated something like:
"Through me you go to the suffering city
Through me you go to eternal pain
Through me you go among the lost
Justice moved my High Maker,
Made me the Divine Power
The Supreme Knowledge and the Primal Love.
Before me were created no things
But eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
The most similar translation is IMO the Hollander, even if it's in free verse. However there's no verse that could even compare with Dante's so just get that. Or you could learn to read italian (not understand, just read) and plentifully masturbate on the Supreme Poet (and he is, believe me)

Milton did it better

Reads like lyrics by Jay-Z

>it's real

>Buy a copy from a charity shop because it's cheap as fuck
>CH Sisson
>It's not even on the chart

Shit. Just flipped through it and checked out the first line and the gates of hell, and it's clear that at least those bits aren't as good as some of the others on the chart. Am I better off buying a different translation before I read it?

I wanna read this one for "fun".
Not for any study, I wish to read it like listening to classical music.
I liked the Hollander examples. ... until "mamma", that really pulled me out of it. I'd like it be completely poetic. And not seemingly dry like the OP.
>Also shit like ''e'en'' and, ''ye", or "every hope" instead of "all hope", is just pretentious.
>"All" and "you" is clearly objectively superior to "every" and "ye".

>mamma

authentically Italian tho

I'm Swedish, and we also say and spell "mamma", so Freud would have a lot to say about my impediment upon it.
Or, my brain just read it in Swedish.

Sold. I looked them up, and they have extensive appendices and notes and the Dore illustrations. Are the notes good, however?

>taking advice from someone who can't even read the original

does anyone know if there are hardcover versions of the Hollander translation. I cant seem to find any.

>implying a translation cuck can judge