/Rice Cookers/

I just moved into a new apartment and I am looking for a new rice cooker for like 1 or 2 people. Any recommendations that aren't like $600 Japanese ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157
amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KDNKTJG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514682582&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tiger rice cooker&dpPl=1&dpID=412IadaT5fL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

Or a pot, if you're not physically inept.

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157

the zoji induction ones are almost as cheap as the micom ones. having spent the $400 many years ago I can promise unless you’re a cumskin the extra $40 is a no-brainer. half your calories go through that thing, why cheap out?

Get a cheap one for like 20 bucks, or go as cheap as you want to. Those super cheap ones are basically just a pot with heat sensor that turns itself from "boil" to "keep warm" after a certain temperature, really. Slightly more expensive ones is less likely to spontaneously explode into a shower or rice.

literally this

I could hardly contain my disgust the first time i came across a "rice cooker"

wtf mang

Zojirushi

I felt the same when I found out cumskins use a machine to toast bread

amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG

Here's mine. My favorite feature is the timer. You set the timer and that's when it FINISHES cooking not when it starts cooking. You can come home to the smell of freshly-cooked rice. Toss some meat and vegetables into a skillet or wok, and have dinner done in less than 10 minutes.

Cooking rice in a pot is dead easy, you dont even really need to time it if younbring tomboil, then turn stove to absolute lowest setting or even off if pot is heavy bottomed and can retain hear. Check 20 min later for white rice, wa la

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KDNKTJG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514682582&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tiger rice cooker&dpPl=1&dpID=412IadaT5fL&ref=plSrch

This works breddy gud. Way cheaper than the zojirushis but you still get micom and a hinged lid. The pot also has an excellent non stick coating.

>Any recommendations that aren't like $600 Japanese ones?

A standard micom can be had for as low as $90 with nicer ones ranging $120-$200

The KEKoo brand rice cookers are considered the best by actual Asians.

Zojirushi went to shit resting on its laurel and not investing in R&D.

looks like some kickstarter scam

rice cookers were perfected by the early 2000s, there is literally nothing more that needs r&d

Can second this. I just recently bought a Cuckoo, it is a quality machine, nice weighty thick walled stainless steel pot, good replaceable gasket, and firm but not stiff locking action on the lid. Zojirushi was my go to brand, the one I replaced was nearly 20 years old, it was a damn good rice cooker. But comparing them side by side, the Cuckoo was clearly better built than a similarly priced Zojirushi.
The one with the screen seemed like a gimmick, so I got this one instead. Hopefully it lasts 20 years, like the Zojirushi did.

>not using a pot and thermal mass cooker

Enjoy your resource draining cooking methods.

get a smol cooker, good for 3 cups
perfect for bachelors, incels, and crazy cat ladies
I own one of these in addition to a regular size cooker

>hurr durr just use a pot lol
gwailo go home

I have a question. I'm a single guy and I've done my best to cook rice throughout the years but it's the only thing I've failed at cooking over and over. I caved and bought a rice cooker but I still have problems with rice sticking to the pan/forming a membrane. I've taken to rinsing the rice first but this doesn't always work.

Hoping Veeky Forums can help with this. I saw a recommendation for some sort of net/mesh to put in but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the name or can help with this?
If no-one replies to this: I'll have to continue cooking more rice than I need and scraping out the stuck rice to my dog, he really doesn't like rice.

See this method: You bring the water and rice to a boil, put a lid on the pot then shove it into an insulated box/cooler/whatever and let it cook using its own heat. The only time you stir it is when you are bringing the water to a boil in the beginning. Cooking times vary depending on how well insulated it is and the type of rice. You can't burn it and it won't stick to the pot doing this.

Have you tried changing the amount of water you add? Depending on the intelligence of your rice cooker it can over cook your rice if you add to much or too little water (or if your rice absorbs more water than it's logic thinks it will). Never heard of this net/mesh thing before sorry.

3 cups of water in the saucepan
2 cups of rice
A pinch of salt
Bring to a boil on medium heat (4-5)
Reduce to a simmer (1-2)
Put a towel over the pot, then put the lid over the towel
Simmer for 10 minutes
After 10 minutes turn the heat off
After another 5 take the lid and towel off
5 more minutes and then fluff the rice with a fork
Perfect jasmine rice every time

Thanks, I'll try adding less water since I soak/rinse maybe. Just been one of those things I could never get right, I'd tried the 1 cup of rice to 1&3/4 rule before.
My dog's starting to gain a bit of bulk eating all this rice desu. I don't want a thicc dog.

I have a $20 PoS and it works just fine, its fucking rice its not hard to cook, just get whatever

My six cup Zoujirushi was around $200, and I went out of my way to buy at a Japanese grocery store to make sure I got the made in Japan version rather than the China one on Amazon. I love it and use it so much it's definitely worth the investment.

Thicc pupper = more belly to rub

if electricity is expensive where you are, get a rice cooker, autists have already done the calculations years ago

>I'll try adding less water since I soak/rinse maybe.
In some of the simple rice cookers, they just go by weight, so soaking your rice before hand would have an effect if you are adding the same amount of water as the machine expects for unsoaked rice, it will also have an effect on the cooking time, but you can't adjust that on a simple machine anyway.

>I'd tried the 1 cup of rice to 1&3/4
1 unit of rice to 1.5 units of water has worked well for me in the past. But variations in rice and cookers will come in to play of course.

>wa la
This is my least favorite meme.

I bought a zojirushi used in perfect condition offa a Japanese auction website, 20 dollars shipping included it's top tier use it daily.