Where does the philosophical concept of an 'authentic' thing come from...

Where does the philosophical concept of an 'authentic' thing come from? Specifically I'm interested in how someone can intellectually justify the view that a counterfeit good is different to a 'real' good. If I make a 'counterfeit' Louis Vuitton bag that is 100% identical with the 'real' product then, I believe, it's a Louis Vuitton bag.

Plato is probably not the beginning of it but he's one of the earliest, certainly in the philosophical tradition, to suggest the concept of a true vs. false world.

milkies pls

>If I make a 'counterfeit' Louis Vuitton bag that is 100% identical with the 'real' product then, I believe, it's a Louis Vuitton bag.

Then you're stupid.

Also counterfeit goods are never as good as the real thing, if you could make bags of that quality you'd be famous as well.

majority of philosophical research on authenticity doesn't really talk about it in terms of identity. This is considered a bad argument to them, because it's not the strongest form of authenticity that they can attack from a metaphysical perspective. They end up talking about origins and authorship of the thing in question, since the authentic thing and non-authentic thing differ in their properties over time not representative properties. So the fact that it is made by Louis Vuitton (or has its origins from there) and not a counterfeiter is what makes it authentic, not its identity.

Yes this, or Socrates. The idea of 'mimesis'

Heidegger's late work is where you should start, judging by your example. I think its English translation is Origins of Art or something like that.

people really believe this?

sorry to interrupt the groundbreaking philosophical discussion here lads but I am going to need a source on this

where is he? where's the jezebel guy?

also I'm billing you $40 for this, what a waste of my time

>Also counterfeit goods are never as good as the real thing
You can say this all you want but if the counterfeiter is hand making these items and he is skilled his counterfeit could surpass the real thing because you know damn well that many Louis Vuitton items is made by some unskilled third worlder in a factory.

Landmark Forum

>Louis Vuitton bag that is 100% identical with the 'real' product then
Material cause does not equal efficient cause does not equal formal cause does not equal final cause.

C'mon man Aristotle solved philosophy thousands of years ago.

i hope she has a penis

Not true. Anything designer can be effectively counterfeit in that way since the total production cost is minimal compared to the retail price, something that doesn't happen with Nike sneakers, for instance, a product with almost optimal retail price

lionel trilling's sincerity and authenticity lays out the history pretty well. I enjoyed it.

By introducing another Louis Vuitton bag on to the market you are changing the definition of what an authentic Louis Vuitton bag constitutes because scarcity is part of what makes them authentic. Your counterfeit fits this new, slightly less valuable definition of an authentic Louis Vuitton bag, but it does not fit the definition of an authentic Louis Vuitton bag that existed prior to you producing the counterfeit.

Walter Benjamin Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproducibility (might not be the exact title)

Don't women feel odd going out in public with this much of their body exposed?

Even in the height of summer I still wear a tee shirt and shorts that go down to my knee.

Or start with the Romantics on the general idea of authenticity (like Rousseau's Confessions), then move on to Heidegger for the special case of authenticity of things.

>If I make a 'counterfeit' Louis Vuitton bag that is 100% identical with the 'real' product then, I believe, it's a Louis Vuitton bag.
Causa efficiens: do you also believe the bag was made by Louis Vuitton or people authorized by him?

Causa finalis: do you thinking Louis Vuitton makes bags with the objective of imitating Louis Vuitton?

Start with the Greeks.

You could argue a Louis Vuitton bag propagates the design and making of more LV bags wheras counterfit bags only support counterfits of existing bags

Or, to create a somewhat thin metaphor, would you rather pay full for healthy wheat, or pay a fraction of the cost for sterile wheat?

Golden Age thinking in all of it's various kinds. Engels does this too, Robberspiere also did it an it's generally a think all reactionaries do.

>Shanzhai is a Chinese neologism that means “fake,” originally coined to describe knock-off cell phones marketed under such names as Nokir and Samsing. These cell phones were not crude forgeries but multifunctional, stylish, and as good as or better than the originals. Shanzhai has since spread into other parts of Chinese life, with shanzhai books, shanzhai politicians, shanzhai stars. There is a shanzhai Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Porcelain Doll, in which Harry takes on his nemesis Yandomort. In the West, this would be seen as piracy, or even desecration, but in Chinese culture, originals are continually transformed—deconstructed. In this volume in the Untimely Meditations series, Byung-Chul Han traces the thread of deconstruction, or “decreation,” in Chinese thought, from ancient masterpieces that invite inscription and transcription to Maoism—“a kind a shanzhai Marxism,” Han writes.

>Han discusses the Chinese concepts of quan, or law, which literally means the weight that slides back and forth on a scale, radically different from Western notions of absoluteness; zhen ji, or original, determined not by an act of creation but by unending process; xian zhan, or seals of leisure, affixed by collectors and part of the picture’s composition; fuzhi, or copy, a replica of equal value to the original; and shanzhai. The Far East, Han writes, is not familiar with such “pre-deconstructive” factors as original or identity. Far Eastern thought begins with deconstruction.

wtf i hate gooks now

pretty interesting. thanks my dude.

that's a man

i see people say this every time its posted
she lives in australia and is very much not a man

Wow, gonna use this concept to make Veeky Forums buttmad the next time the topic of "cultural marxism" pops up.

>No, user pseud, you see, the concept of "cultural marxism" is a kind of shanzhai. It's a deconstruction or continual transformation of a political concept that you in your ignorance cannot fathom. In essence, /pol/ be makin' mixtapes, yo.

Seconding this and Heidegger, specially The Origin of the Work of Art.

There's a passage where he talks about how we use "true" in two ways: in regard to propositions and in regard to entities. For instance, we may say that this is "true gold" or a "true/authentic LV bag". Truth as autenthicity would not be a logical but ontological criteria. That is, truth/authenticity is not aristotelian correspondence but aletheia, or the thing showing itself as it is. This is obvioulsy an essentialist thinking in the most original, latin sense: the essence of the thing is ultimately what a thing is.

Anyhow, read the book. It does a much better job explaining it than me and it can be read in one sitting.

Is gutter oil shanzhai?

All I want in life is to smell an Asian woman's ass

hooker

That face is a shame

My man! I'm . I'm glad to see someone else dismantling the Ship of Theseus problem using Aristotelian cause

Authenticity is a spook reserved for people addicted to the placebo effect.

Threads with OPs of girls at least pretending to read a book get deleted but this fucking gif of a buxom girl touching herself is okay.

This. I poyted an ass as an op pic and it was deleted.

This is some reeking ideology. Gucci only owns the symbol of their product. The actual physical product is nominally valuable.

pretty much the answer

>Specifically I'm interested in how someone can intellectually justify the view that a counterfeit good is different to a 'real' good. If I make a 'counterfeit' Louis Vuitton bag that is 100% identical with the 'real' product then, I believe, it's a Louis Vuitton bag.

"The fake is of far greater value. In its deliberate attempt to be real, it's more real than the real thing." - Kaiki Deishu

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

Life is a constant hell. No wonder I resent women too.

Y'all niggers need to get out of your mothers basement and into the real world, there is a huge difference in quality between fake hand bags and real hand bags.

You should have picked a product that isn't know for its durability as an example.

>These cell phones were not crude forgeries
Yes they were, they found out how to make a cell phone and slapped labels on them. Like mass producing iphone 4s and selling them as iphone sixes.

Also don't believe anything gooks tell you regarding copy right infringement.

easy on the carrots, bugs ;)

I've never owned a hand bag because I'm not a GIRL

>t. bourgeoisie fuck trying to salvage his conspicuous consumption in the age of simulacrum and reproduction

>pleb who can't tell the difference between real louis and fake louis

kill you're self

Unironically this.

>even being near that stuff when it has been tainted by single moms and rich chinks

nah mate, I'll just wear clothes and accessories that fit me and invest in a bespoke suit instead of wasting money on swagger and (ever-depreciating) status symbols to impress the lower middle class

J E Z E B E L S
E
Z
E
B
E
L
S

I'd like to jezz on dem bells that's for sure.

preach