My mom told me that, as a Christmas present, she'll buy me a chef's knife worth at least $180...

My mom told me that, as a Christmas present, she'll buy me a chef's knife worth at least $180. Any recommendations or knives Veeky Forums is willing to shill?

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kagayaki-basic-es-series/products/jck-original-kagayaki-basic-series-gyuto-180mm-to-270mm-4-sizes?variant=29158784835
swissarmy.com/ca/en/Products/Cutlery/Chefs-Knives/Fibrox-Pro-8-Inch-Chefs-Knife/p/5.2063.20#accordion-prod-details-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy 18 ten dollar knives

Get 9 knives and 18$ worth of juggling lessons

Get a JCK Original Kagayaki Basic, very good knives for a very reasonable price. Or the JCK original CarboNext, with semi stainless steel. I have them both and can recommend them. Use the rest of the money to get a really good, large wooden endgrain cutting board, and maybe a good stone.
japanesechefsknife.com/collections/kagayaki-basic-es-series/products/jck-original-kagayaki-basic-series-gyuto-180mm-to-270mm-4-sizes?variant=29158784835
The Tojiro DP would be another possibility, but the finish is rather rough and I foud mine to be a little too thick behind the edge.

That advice is only for retards who dont know how to take care of their knives and sharpen them properly. But of course an Amerilard would rather throw away a perfectly good knive after it gets a little bit dull instead of sharpening it and getting 20 more years of use out of it, because learning to sharpen is just soooo hard. Plus success may not be instantaneous and guaranteed, that might mentally scar little Jayden for life and give him autism and PTSD

kek

Are you any good at sharpening? Invest some time and money into free hand sharpening on stones. I'm pretty surprised by the amount of professional chefs I've met with gorgeous custom knives, but can't sharpen decently. It's tragedy ;_;

t. /k/nife sharpener

Your mommy is getting you a Christmas present, is she? Why not ask her to give you the knife you were castrated with? If it's good enough for that, it's good enough for anything you could want to use it for.

>mom
>anime
Dumb soiboi

Tisms

Buy 180 1$ knives

Yeah that 18 knives thing is memey and shit, but considering diminishing returns so is one 180$ knife.

I'd rather go for something like 150$ worth of 1 chef knife and 1 boning knife, plus 30$ worth of sharpening equipment, or something like that.

That is, one has to consider what he already got.
180$ on a single knife is retarded even for professionals though.

What stones does a beginner need to properly sharpen their knife? I just got a nice knife, but don't have any stones yet.

> Tranny socks.

get a combo stone with two grits, one side 300-400 grit for giving a knife a completely new bevel and the other side 1000-1500 grit for making it actually sharp. If you can get a big 8''/200mm stone, not the usual 6''/150mm ones, they are so much more comfortable to use. If you want to go all out get another 3000 grit or so stone for hair popping sharpness, although that can actually be detrimental in a kitchen knife. Its good for removing the burr from the 1000 grit stone, though. Most people neglect that very important step.

Just but a set of crock sticks and a good steel. Use the steel every time you use the knife.

>eurocuck can't into jokes
Does Syrian semen trigger autism in people or something?

You want a binsui for edge setting, a nice saeki or aoto for general maintenance, and something like an oohira (if normie) for atagoyama (if poorfag NEET) for final polish

If you can't even afford the basics as I have outlined, just get a Chefs Choice u pleb

>any recommendations
yeah
horizontal cut for attention, vertical cut for results

get two of these

swissarmy.com/ca/en/Products/Cutlery/Chefs-Knives/Fibrox-Pro-8-Inch-Chefs-Knife/p/5.2063.20#accordion-prod-details-2